LocalLadGTFC
November 28, 2023, 10:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,216
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from RonMariner
Also , Crewe could only manage a draw against Sutton tonight so we must have a chance against them on Saturday.

Not got a cat in hells chance against Crewe on Saturday.... because we're playing Oxford  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 250 - 260
forza ivano
November 28, 2023, 10:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,176
Gold Stars: 265
610 away fans - excellent turnout. Should be much bigger on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 260
Bigdog
November 28, 2023, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I know I’m at risk of saying ‘I told you so’ but Alex Hunt has the ability to boss our midfield. I can’t fathom how and why he was doing the humiliating doggie runs with Greg when Hurst and Doig wouldn’t even put him on the bench.

Well done tonight lads, tonight feels so much better.

Would be nice for those who were so scathing and dismissive of Hunt to come on here and accept they were wrong. But no.. they'll stay in the shadows sharpening their knives for his next misplaced pass. Was disgusted at the unfair and vitriolic criticism on here. Made up for the lad tonight..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 260
Hagrid
November 28, 2023, 10:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,414
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Bigdog

Would be nice for those who were so scathing and dismissive of Hunt to come on here and accept they were wrong. But no.. they'll stay in the shadows sharpening their knives for his next misplaced pass. Was disgusted at the unfair and vitriolic criticism on here. Made up for the lad tonight..

Well I thought he played well. I think you’re being very OTT describing it as scathing, and vitriolic mind you.

Its only 1 game but he looked like he had a point to prove and I think we all hope he can continue to show that consistantly
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 260
LocalLadGTFC
November 28, 2023, 10:39pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,216
Gold Stars: 137
Every single one of us that backed Hunt knew the ability was there, hard to show it when you aren't given a run of games. Think you could see the weight lifted off his shoulders tonight and he's playing with that swagger and freedom again, what a player. Now he has to show the doubters that ability over a period of time, him and Conteh would be a very good pairing. Think Harry looked back to his best tonight aswell, looked very good when in the middle then moved over to left back and didn't really put a foot wrong against probably there dangerman. Worth noting Kamil Conteh had a 97% pass completion rate tonight aswell... some player.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 254 - 260
Nelly GTFC
November 28, 2023, 11:25pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,747
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted Text
I dunno, I personally think we are very lucky to come away with anything. Grimsby were by far the better team for the majority of the game and their ability to play through the press killed us. Against Salford we scored 3 of our goals because we won the ball back high. This game was the complete opposite. I don't think they will be scrapping down in the lower reaches of the league table for much longer and I was really Impressed with their pivot (I think Conteh).
On us though. I hope Williamson learns quickly that playing the same team twice in 3 days is not a good idea. It didn't work for alexander and it won't work for him.

I am happy with a point though and we are moving in the right direction.
Source: https://www.sitdownorwellsteal.....b20ffb32a588#p195722

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 260
Yoda
November 29, 2023, 2:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
If baffles me why Hurst never even put Alex Hunt on the bench.
He clearly had talent and Hurst paid a fee to bring him here then never played him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 256 - 260
Maringer
November 29, 2023, 7:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Bigdog

I've never been convinced by Hunt (and have said so on here) as he blew hot and cold during his loan spell in the National League (started off very well, then tapered off rapidly before he left) and has then put in perhaps a handful of good performances since we signed him.

I was never scathing or dismissive, just disappointed that he wasn't generally very effective and critical that he gave the ball away needlessly too often through misplaced passes when under no pressure.

I didn't watch the game last night, but it sounds as though it was perhaps his best performance for us ever, or at least since he returned permanently?

That's good to hear so hopefully, he can keep it going and prove me wrong about him in the longer term. A different role and set up for the team can make a big difference so hopefully Artell will be able to get a song out of him more consistently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 260
RonMariner
November 29, 2023, 9:38am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
It’s curious. After a dire performance on Saturday we have everyone raving after what on paper looked a very tough fixture. How does that happen?

It’s weird. Maybe the new coach was able to somehow change the mindset, but it’s hard to believe he could do so in such a short period of time.

I think his ‘reverted to type’ comment is interesting. It does suggest that our problems may be psychological rather than due to lack of basic footballing quality. We shall see.

There have been a couple of false dawns this season, the first half at Bradford and the Morecambe game. But at least these games and last night show that we have the potential for a successful team here. Artell may well be the guy with the skill set to release it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 260
ska face
November 29, 2023, 10:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from RonMariner
It’s curious. After a dire performance on Saturday we have everyone raving after what on paper looked a very tough fixture. How does that happen?

It’s weird. Maybe the new coach was able to somehow change the mindset, but it’s hard to believe he could do so in such a short period of time.

I think his ‘reverted to type’ comment is interesting. It does suggest that our problems may be psychological rather than due to lack of basic footballing quality. We shall see.

There have been a couple of false dawns this season, the first half at Bradford and the Morecambe game. But at least these games and last night show that we have the potential for a successful team here. Artell may well be the guy with the skill set to release it.

Obviously it’s impossible to make any meaningful observations based off one match and an hour in the training ground, but I think this group of players will benefit from having someone a bit more direct & assertive leading them.

Hurst was always very hands off with this team in particular, and his attitude was always that he’d done his job on the training ground - it was their responsibility once they crossed the white line. Maybe so, but he often bemoaned their lack of footballing intelligence, more than once this season. In that sense, why not try and influence them a bit more rather than just sitting in the dugout thinking “these just haven’t got the brains”?

We’ve all seen that a lot of them have a decent amount of ability, far beyond than some of the wasters that have soiled the BP turf in the last 20 years, they just need a bit more guidance and, at times, a bit of a rocket up the ařse.

It all seemed very comfortable for some under Hurst, and extremely difficult for others who would get frozen out rather than a bòllocking on the pitch. Early days, but not sure this’ll be the same under the new management.
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 260
27 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread MK Dons A

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.