Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Mariners TV - a bit of tech help needed
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Mariners TV - a bit of tech help needed

This thread currently has 2,162 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
November 28, 2023, 2:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,567
Gold Stars: 1,500
Right, I’m normally not too bad with this sort of thing, but I’ve pretty much drawn a blank with a frustrating issue I’ve had with Mariners TV this season.

Last season, I had no problem at all using the AirPlay feature on my iPhone to stream to my Apple TV box, which I bought specifically for the reason of being able to watch games on my living room telly without the need for dícking around with cables.

This season, this no longer works. When I try to AirPlay a live game, I just get a little spinning wheel on my TV; no picture or sound. I’ve noticed that it works fine when streaming match highlights / interviews etc., and I can even get it going with a live stream before the game begins, when it alternates between footage of the players warming up in the ground and adverts, but not the game itself.

This leads me to believe that the feed provider is purposely doing something to make it difficult to transmit live games to large screen devices, and I know this was technically verboten (though still possible with workarounds) on the old iFollow platform.

The best workaround I’ve come up with so far is to AirPlay from my desktop computer, as you can do this externally from the video player itself (you just cast the whole screen, so Mariners TV wouldn’t know what you were doing). The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it’s a bit laggy, possibly because of the distance between my computer and my TV, and secondly it gives the wife an additional opportunity to get stuck into me - “what, so you’re stopping me watching celebrity on the telly, and you’re taking up the computer, you ****!?”.

It’s a long shot, but I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem and found a better solution than I have.

Cheers!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
lukeo
November 28, 2023, 2:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
I still pay for mariners player and haven't used it for months. I've tried cancelled through 3 different emails and a Facebook
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 29
Poojah
November 28, 2023, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from lukeo
I still pay for mariners player and haven't used it for months. I've tried cancelled through 3 different emails and a Facebook

Speak to your bank, mate.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 29
arryarryarry
November 28, 2023, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from lukeo

Is it a direct debit and do you do on-line banking, I just go into direct debits and cancel any I need to without ever talking to my bank or going in.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 29
SteffiMariner
November 28, 2023, 3:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
More and more broadcasting apps are blocking Airplay to protect the content from piracy and monitor device sign in, they may have a temporary ban on for when the matches are aired, which is a bit of a sodomist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 29
arryarryarry
November 28, 2023, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I don't pay a subscription to MP I just pay the £10 for each game if I'm not at the match.

Log on through a laptop and HDMI cable to a large TV.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 29
Son of Cod
November 28, 2023, 3:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Have you tried seeing if it works with Video Lite?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/video-lite/id1598997500?see-all=reviews

Might not even support the Town website but I know you can Chromecast with it and it's supposed to be better than the YouTube app for Apple devices.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 29
Poojah
November 28, 2023, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod
Have you tried seeing if it works with Video Lite?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/video-lite/id1598997500?see-all=reviews

Might not even support the Town website but I know you can Chromecast with it and it's supposed to be better than the YouTube app for Apple devices.

I’ve tried different browsers, but not this app specifically. I’ll give it a go; still got a feeling they’re spoken something at the broadcast end to stop it from working, but it can’t hurt trying.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 29
LocalLadGTFC
November 28, 2023, 4:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
You aren't the only one Poojah, so definitely something they've done to limit it. I now do it as mentioned above, laptop with a HDMI cable into the TV
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 29
Badger57
November 28, 2023, 5:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,912
Gold Stars: 30
We were trying on Xbox the other day but definitely not having it.
Solution is as previously pointed out, hdmi from your laptop direct to telly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 29
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 28, 2023, 5:56pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
I just use FawaNews. Its free. No VPN needed.

Yes its a bit laggy and might need refreshing 2 or 3 times but its free. What else do you expect for nowt?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 29
supertown
November 28, 2023, 6:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,458
Gold Stars: 53
I just use FawaNews. Its free. No VPN needed.

Yes its a bit laggy and might need refreshing 2 or 3 times but its free. What else do you expect for nowt?

He’s not asking for a freebie is he ? Just a workaround a technical issue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 29
oochiad
November 28, 2023, 6:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
I have a fire stick and use the internet app. Pull up the GTFC website and watch that way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 29
Grantham_Mariner
November 28, 2023, 6:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,189
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from oochiad
I have a fire stick and use the internet app. Pull up the GTFC website and watch that way.

Same here, but I pay on computer or phone first.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 29
grimsby pete
November 28, 2023, 7:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Try switching it off  and back on again.

If that does not work I can not help you mate.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 29
November 28, 2023, 7:07pm
Guest User
I use a VPN and have watched every match on my PC.
Reply: 15 - 29
lukeo
November 28, 2023, 7:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Firestick you say  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 29
Chrisblor
November 28, 2023, 7:27pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,851
Gold Stars: 235
Legally: get a firestick or Google TV stick (any android device with a hdmi output really), plug into TV, load up the browser and watch on there

Semi legally: As above but install a VPN on the device and you can pay to watch all the matches by relocating yourself 'overseas'

Definitely not legally: As above but get an IPTV subscription and dodgy app on your device and watch all the games without having to pay anything extra

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 29
heppy88
November 28, 2023, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from arryarryarry
I don't pay a subscription to MP I just pay the £10 for each game if I'm not at the match.

Log on through a laptop and HDMI cable to a large TV.

Thanks for the heads up using the HDMI cable. I have an AVR so plugged HDMI into that. Had never thought of doing this before and always watched on laptop. Surprised how good the picture is on a TV!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 29
arryarryarry
November 28, 2023, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Try switching it off  and back on again.

If that does not work I can not help you mate.  

Did you use to work on our IT Helpdesk?
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 29
MarinerBen
November 28, 2023, 10:16pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +243
I use TV cast.

Open the app on your TV and mobile, load Mariners TV through the mobile app browsers then cast it to your TV using the IP address.

Sounds more complicated than it is, in reality, it’s dead simple. It’s better than AirPlay because the stream goes directly to your TV.

It’s worth it, been using it for years rather than screen mirroring. Frees up my phone for Fishy and Twitter!

"Take what you can, give nothing back"
                                                                 - Capt. J. Sparrow
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 29
grimsby pete
November 29, 2023, 12:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did you use to work on our IT Helpdesk?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
lukeo
November 29, 2023, 5:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from arryarryarry

Is it a direct debit and do you do on-line banking, I just go into direct debits and cancel any I need to without ever talking to my bank or going in.

It's showing knowhere on my bank
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
mariner83
November 29, 2023, 5:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
If it's a recurring card payment you need to contact your bank and ask them to stop the payment, it should be on your statement somewhere.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
arryarryarry
November 29, 2023, 6:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from lukeo

So where does it show?
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
oochiad
November 29, 2023, 9:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from lukeo

Are you paying through a PayPal account? That’s how I pay my £4.50 subscription and it doesn’t show up on my bank app.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
Poojah
November 29, 2023, 9:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner83
If it's a recurring card payment you need to contact your bank and ask them to stop the payment, it should be on your statement somewhere.

This may depend on whether you’ve been paying via a debit card or credit card, but if the latter you should certainly be able to claim back any payments taken historically (going back as far as the point where no service has been available, which is public information).

As an aside, I managed to cast last night’s game from my phone with no issue. Either it was a one-off, or someone from the club has seen this thread and managed to change a setting. I hope it’s the latter, but suspect the former.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
UpTheMariners
November 29, 2023, 11:10pm
@Daniel_Rudd
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -6
Quoted from Poojah
Right, I’m normally not too bad with this sort of thing, but I’ve pretty much drawn a blank with a frustrating issue I’ve had with Mariners TV this season.

Last season, I had no problem at all using the AirPlay feature on my iPhone to stream to my Apple TV box, which I bought specifically for the reason of being able to watch games on my living room telly without the need for dícking around with cables.

This season, this no longer works. When I try to AirPlay a live game, I just get a little spinning wheel on my TV; no picture or sound. I’ve noticed that it works fine when streaming match highlights / interviews etc., and I can even get it going with a live stream before the game begins, when it alternates between footage of the players warming up in the ground and adverts, but not the game itself.

This leads me to believe that the feed provider is purposely doing something to make it difficult to transmit live games to large screen devices, and I know this was technically verboten (though still possible with workarounds) on the old iFollow platform.

The best workaround I’ve come up with so far is to AirPlay from my desktop computer, as you can do this externally from the video player itself (you just cast the whole screen, so Mariners TV wouldn’t know what you were doing). The problem with this is twofold. Firstly, it’s a bit laggy, possibly because of the distance between my computer and my TV, and secondly it gives the wife an additional opportunity to get stuck into me - “what, so you’re stopping me watching celebrity on the telly, and you’re taking up the computer, you ****!?”.

It’s a long shot, but I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this problem and found a better solution than I have.

Cheers!

It's the VPN on your device that's preventing airplay from working. Could you have only been watching Tuesday night games last season when a VPN isn't required? A work around would be to install a VPN on the router rather than the device or get a nvidia shield/firestick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Poojah
November 30, 2023, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from UpTheMariners

It's the VPN on your device that's preventing airplay from working. Could you have only been watching Tuesday night games last season when a VPN isn't required? A work around would be to install a VPN on the router rather than the device or get a nvidia shield/firestick.

It wasn’t the VPN. I’ve not been able to get Tuesday night games either, until the other night. Will keep an eye on it.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
mariner83
November 30, 2023, 1:06pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Mariners TV - a bit of tech help needed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.