barralad
November 28, 2023, 10:34am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

He went to Scunny from Lincoln and helped them to promotion with us in 71/72. Ashman signed him after he took over when Lawrie Mc left. That recruitment combination, replacing Lawrie and Matt Tees, knocked about 3k off our average attendance in a season.

I always thought Phil Hubbard was the replacement for Sir Matt. Matt hardly played in the 72/73 season. Division 3 was a step too far.
Ashman didn't have Lawrie's charisma but under him in that first post Lawrie season Town's final league position matched the great 72/73 season.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
Limerick Mariner
November 28, 2023, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from barralad

I always thought Phil Hubbard was the replacement for Sir Matt. Matt hardly played in the 72/73 season. Division 3 was a step too far.
Ashman didn't have Lawrie's charisma but under him in that first post Lawrie season Town's final league position matched the great 72/73 season.

Indeed, but my Dad absolutely hated the Ashman appointment and we stopped going regularly. I was only 10, but I had in my mind that the style of football changed - out went the barnstorming attacking style of Lawrie Mc and in came the much more defensive approach of Scunny’s promotion season. But checking the tables we scored more goals in 73/74 than 72/73.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
forza ivano
November 28, 2023, 2:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Indeed, but my Dad absolutely hated the Ashman appointment and we stopped going regularly. I was only 10, but I had in my mind that the style of football changed - out went the barnstorming attacking style of Lawrie Mc and in came the much more defensive approach of Scunny’s promotion season. But checking the tables we scored more goals in 73/74 than 72/73.

Wasnt 73-74 Jimmy lumby's break through season? 9 goals in 16 games?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
barralad
November 28, 2023, 3:27pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from forza ivano

Wasnt 73-74 Jimmy lumby's break through season? 9 goals in 16 games?

Pretty sure it was Forza.
Guess we'd been spoilt with Lawries attacking you score 2 we'll score 3 attitude.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
grimps
November 28, 2023, 3:37pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
My old Deputy Head at Humberston school.

Nice bloke and fair as a teacher , I only wish he’d coached us at football when I was there
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
andypandy04
November 28, 2023, 6:46pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +11
Gold Stars: 1
Remember him giving me 3 lashes of the cane when he was deputy head at humberston, seemed fair enough at the time

You look in the dustbin for something to eat you find a dead rat and you think its a treat in your Lincoln slums in your lincoln slums.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
lew chaterleys lover
November 28, 2023, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
He was my teacher for a short time at Harold secondary. So was Rod Green for those who remember him.

Talking of Jim Lumby he was a classmate of mine at Harold Street and we played in the same school side, and I also used to play a lot of street football with him in the Victor Street area where we lived.

Jim used to play in goal for Harold Street funnily enough, and I was right back. My only claim to fame is I scored an own goal past him.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Squinter
November 28, 2023, 8:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from andypandy04
Remember him giving me 3 lashes of the cane when he was deputy head at humberston, seemed fair enough at the time

Remember him giving me and others a 2 second bollokcing for sneaking out to shop at break, then spending the next ten minutes checking we would all be ok for big game on Saturday and talking tactics 🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Rod Fletcher - RIP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.