2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
November 27, 2023, 12:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
I don't really look at Spanish football but just read an article about Bellingham helping Real Madrid to regain top spot...from Girona.

I visited Girona earlier this year but hadn't even checked it had a football team. I'd no idea it was even at the top of Spanish football. The city is definitely worth a visit...but you'll have done it in a couple of days at most. It's very easy to get to (and cheap) by high speed train from Barcelona too, if you're visiting there.

I should have realised there'd be something dodgy going on
https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....la-brother-questions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Nelly GTFC
November 27, 2023, 12:43am
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,747
Gold Stars: 31
Girona 19th in average league attendance across all Spanish leagues >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/spanish-la-liga/attendances

I didn't realise Girona has the same owners as Manchester City, I would have thought a club like Valencia would have been a more appetising club to invest in with their partially built new 75,000 seater stadium that hasn't been completed due to financial constraints. Still kinda feels fairy tale stuff if they can stay in the top three come the end of the season.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> https://footballclubforums.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
jamesgtfc
November 27, 2023, 7:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,958
Gold Stars: 190
A cynic might say that Girona will slack off a little bit so that they don't come across Man City in the Champions League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
Les Brechin
November 27, 2023, 9:17am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from jamesgtfc
A cynic might say that Girona will slack off a little bit so that they don't come across Man City in the Champions League.

They said something similar about Leicester City here a few years back.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
diehardmariner
November 27, 2023, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Les Brechin

They said something similar about Leicester City here a few years back.

Leicester weren't owned by another side in the Champions League though.

The point, I think, is that as Girona and City are effectively under the same ownership they won't be able to both compete in the Champions League due to ownership rules.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Abdul19
November 27, 2023, 10:09am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
Leipzig and Salzburg do though (I think)?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
diehardmariner
November 27, 2023, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Yep, think there was an investigation few years back but not enough evidence found...

With City having dodged a few UEFA bullets already, I can't imagine they'll get so lucky as to not find a bit of extra scrutiny on this matter.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
AncientExiledMariner
November 27, 2023, 1:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
It's going to be interesting watching how financial fair play works out.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see players bought for £60m, then later sold 6 months or a year later for £15m to a club with the same owners... If you cannot fudge the revenue, through sponsorship, fudge the costs through player acquisition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
MrThirsty
November 27, 2023, 1:49pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +236
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from diehardmariner

Leicester weren't owned by another side in the Champions League though.

The point, I think, is that as Girona and City are effectively under the same ownership they won't be able to both compete in the Champions League due to ownership rules.

Man City don’t have a majority share in Girona, they are part of an umbrella organisation, the City Football Group, along with Troyes, Palermo and Lommel of the French, Italian and Belgian leagues. As long as they can prove autonomy they can compete against each other just as Red Bull teams have in the Europa Cup.

Can’t claim to normally have such knowledge on this subject but happened to read an article on this subject earlier this morning.

Would be great but very unlikely if Girona could win the league, as for the past 20 years it’s been RM, AM and Barcelona, however, they do have a good chance of qualifying for the Champions League
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Rick12
November 27, 2023, 2:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I don't really look at Spanish football but just read an article about Bellingham helping Real Madrid to regain top spot..
Was out in Madrid in September / early October ( non football) and Bellingham is getting high praise. His stats were as good as Christiano Ronaldos when he first joined Real Madrid and was on the front page of their daily paper a few times "Marca" when I was there .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
LocalLadGTFC
November 27, 2023, 7:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,216
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Rick12
Was out in Madrid in September / early October ( non football) and Bellingham is getting high praise. His stats were as good as Christiano Ronaldos when he first joined Real Madrid and was on the front page of their daily paper a few times "Marca" when I was there .

He brokes CR7's record for goals scored in first 15 games as a Madrid player. Cristiano scored 13 and Bellingham has 14
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 17
Rick12
November 27, 2023, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He brokes CR7's record for goals scored in first 15 games as a Madrid player. Cristiano scored 13 and Bellingham has 14
Thanks for the update. Kind of moving when I saw him in TV clips  there  scoring some late goals and the fans  singing his name in the Santiago Bernabeau. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders and arguably their main player maybe even above Vincius Jr now ?.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
diehardmariner
November 28, 2023, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MrThirsty

Man City don’t have a majority share in Girona, they are part of an umbrella organisation, the City Football Group, along with Troyes, Palermo and Lommel of the French, Italian and Belgian leagues. As long as they can prove autonomy they can compete against each other just as Red Bull teams have in the Europa Cup.

Can’t claim to normally have such knowledge on this subject but happened to read an article on this subject earlier this morning.

Would be great but very unlikely if Girona could win the league, as for the past 20 years it’s been RM, AM and Barcelona, however, they do have a good chance of qualifying for the Champions League

Oh no doubt about it, the City Football Group will feel they've got everything in place to circumnavigate this.  However, I just think with UEFA already having their nose put out of joint by City previously, they'll be gunning again for them and this will just help fuel that.  Personally couldn't care less in this battle.  Two corrupt organisations trying to out-weasel each other.  Ultimately it'll all come down to who has the best legal team.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
Southwark Mariner
December 12, 2023, 5:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
I see they're now top of La Liga after beating Barcelona!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
Simon
December 12, 2023, 6:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Going off on a tangent we flew to Barcelona a few years back during a storm and ended up being diverted to Girona, the plane made four attempts on landing with three being aborted just before touching down. The cabin looked like a bomb had gone off and that's the only time in my life i have ever prayed  

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
DB
December 12, 2023, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,006
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Simon
Going off on a tangent we flew to Barcelona a few years back during a storm and ended up being diverted to Girona, the plane made four attempts on landing with three being aborted just before touching down. The cabin looked like a bomb had gone off and that's the only time in my life i have ever prayed  

Nice to know Jesus looked after you.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
Southwark Mariner
December 12, 2023, 6:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
"Jesus at the controls"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Maringer
December 12, 2023, 9:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Interesting article about Girona:

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....rcelona-la-liga-best

They aren't spending big bucks, apparently, it's just a bit of a Leicester City situation where a disparate bunch of players have somehow really gelled to make a fantastic team. Would be interesting to see how they play, but I don't have Spanish football available to me on my TV channels.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Girona FC

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.