VinnyGTFC
November 24, 2023, 9:52am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from GTFCNiles
I'll be honest I didn't know much about our potential new manager, imagine a few are the same so pulled together this from a few different resources to better understand our new manager.

David Artell is a football manager and former player. Born in Rotherham, England, on November 22, 1980, Artell began his playing career with non-league clubs in England before moving to Gibraltar in 2005 to join Europa FC. He spent the next eight seasons with Europa, making over 200 appearances and winning several trophies, including the Gibraltar Premier League and the Rock Cup.

Artell's playing career was characterized by his strong defensive skills and leadership qualities. He was a vocal captain and a hard-nosed defender who was not afraid to put his body on the line. His leadership qualities were evident from a young age, and he served as captain of several teams he played for.

In 2013, Artell transitioned into management, taking over as player-manager of FC Droylsden, a non-league club in England. He spent two seasons with Droylsden, leading them to promotion to the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Artell's managerial career took off in 2015 when he was appointed manager of Crewe Alexandra, a club in League Two, the fourth tier of English football. Artell quickly transformed Crewe from a relegation-threatened side to a promotion contender. In his first full season in charge, he led Crewe to a fifth-place finish, just one point off the play-offs. The following season, he guided Crewe to promotion to League One, the third tier of English football, as champions.

Artell's success with Crewe was built on his strong defensive organization and his ability to motivate his players. He is known for his demanding style of coaching, but he is also respected for his fairness and his ability to get the best out of his players.

Artell's strengths as a manager include:

Defensive organization: Artell is a strong advocate for defensive solidity, and his teams are often difficult to break down. He is known for his ability to drill tactical patterns into his players and for his ability to identify and exploit the weaknesses of his opponents.

Motivation: Artell is a charismatic and passionate leader, and he is able to motivate his players to perform at their best. He is known for his demanding style of coaching, but he is also respected for his fairness and his ability to create a positive and supportive environment for his players.

Man-management: Artell is a skilled man-manager, and he is able to build strong relationships with his players. He is known for his ability to communicate effectively with his players and for his ability to get the best out of them both on and off the field.

Tactics: Artell is a tactically astute manager, and he is able to adapt his style of play to suit the strengths and weaknesses of his team and the opposition. He is known for his ability to make tactical changes during games and for his ability to exploit the weaknesses of his opponents.

Overall, David Artell is a highly respected and successful manager who has proven himself at all levels of the English football pyramid. He is a strong advocate for defensive solidity, and his teams are often difficult to break down. He is also a charismatic and passionate leader, and he is able to motivate his players to perform at their best. His strengths as a manager include his defensive organization, his motivation, his man-management, and his tactics.

A good appointment, that can help the develop the young talent we have available.

Welcome to the club.

UTM

That looks like it's taken straight from his CV . Doesn't look very balanced.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
forza ivano
November 24, 2023, 10:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,205
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from VinnyGTFC

That looks like it's taken straight from his CV . Doesn't look very balanced.

it isn't very accurate, certainly.
He didn't start in non league, although he did end his a career by playing for a variety of non league clubs. never played in Gib,his career spanned 300 appearances mainly in the lower leagues, never won the Rock Cup or the Gib Premier League and never managed Droylsden ( he only played there for a few weeks) . His managerial career at Crewe was strictly slow burning - he didn't transform them overnight, and certainly Crewe didn't finish 5th in his first full season;there were finishes of  19th, 17th, 12th before gaining promotion in the Covid season which finished 6 weeks early with 9 games still to play. Even so it was a great achievement, given such a small budget,
Got decent mid table position in 1st season in Div 1, but collapsed the following year winning only 7 games, gaining 29 points and described as one of the worst in their near 150 year history.
He hasn't proved himself at all levels of the game & I'm certain that he is not known as a defensive minded coach - the very opposite I'm told.

But apart from that it was a really good post
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 24, 2023, 10:41am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +848
Gold Stars: 118
I think GTFCNiles has been chatting to ChatGPT for some of that crap that he posted.

'Tell me about David Artell's career but litter it with bullshit'
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
mariner91
November 24, 2023, 11:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from 1mickylyons
A defensive type of coach my initial reaction to that is hmmmmmpppppffff.  I hope that there's a lot more to him than that and with him having won an EFL Promotion I'm optimistic we can get going. The fans will get behind him and he's definitely got a Club and opportunity here to get up to League 1.UTM

Why on earth would we want a defensive type of coach? It’s not like we’re leaking goals left, right and centre. Boo Artells out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
sam gy
November 24, 2023, 11:22am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Please don't tell me we're already characterising him as a "defensive coach" purely because he played as a defender.

The short sightedness truly baffles me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
diehardmariner
November 24, 2023, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Right, in anticipation of the defenders can't coach attacking football stuff comes back out again...

Artell's managerial record in League Two is:

150 games
64 wins
25 draws
61 defeats
223 goals scored
210 goals conceded

Over a full season that's over 68 goals.  Last season only two sides (Salford and Mansfield) scored more than that.  Year before it was 3 teams, two of whom went up.  Year before that another two sides, one of whom went up.

He's definitely not a defensive minded coach.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
toontown
November 24, 2023, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from forza ivano

it isn't very accurate, certainly.
He didn't start in non league, although he did end his a career by playing for a variety of non league clubs. never played in Gib,his career spanned 300 appearances mainly in the lower leagues, never won the Rock Cup or the Gib Premier League and never managed Droylsden ( he only played there for a few weeks) . His managerial career at Crewe was strictly slow burning - he didn't transform them overnight, and certainly Crewe didn't finish 5th in his first full season;there were finishes of  19th, 17th, 12th before gaining promotion in the Covid season which finished 6 weeks early with 9 games still to play. Even so it was a great achievement, given such a small budget,
Got decent mid table position in 1st season in Div 1, but collapsed the following year winning only 7 games, gaining 29 points and described as one of the worst in their near 150 year history.
He hasn't proved himself at all levels of the game & I'm certain that he is not known as a defensive minded coach - the very opposite I'm told.

But apart from that it was a really good post

And if he did finish 5th in league 2 that wouldn't be just outside the playoffs as claimed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
Limerick Mariner
November 24, 2023, 12:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from toontown

And if he did finish 5th in league 2 that wouldn't be just outside the playoffs as claimed

At least he wasn’t called a “soccer coach” in the profile though.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › David Artell - Profile

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.