Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › What’s Happened??
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

What’s Happened??

This thread currently has 2,843 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
GrimPol
November 20, 2023, 9:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from sydney
11th Last Season and FA Cup Glory
New Owners saying and doing the right things
New Squad,Selected and paid for by us
So Much Positivity and Good feelings for this season
And, here we are, in the crap again?
Why?

That was a long sleep, you just woke up?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
rancido
November 20, 2023, 9:32am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from sam gy
We got our recruitment wrong, to put it simply.

I disagree. I think PH brought some decent players in , certainly good enough for this level and some better for the next level. Unfortunately he didn't seem to know how to get the best out of them or use a system that played to their strengths. SP and BD have shown some indications of how to get more out of these players but it will take a while to restore confidence in a squad that is lacking in self-belief.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
November 20, 2023, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
The enigma that is Paul Hurst I think is what went wrong. He had everything going for him including a very supportive board brought about by his play off success and cup run.

He lost his way; maybe he needed a break from the game but I'm sure he will come back refreshed and revel in the underdog tag somewhere.

Managers are transitory just like players, so it is much more important that the owners get the overall strategy right. This managerial appointment will be the first of many they make so let's hope this one can get us back on track.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
Mike_67
November 20, 2023, 1:35pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
Not just one thing but a few of them.

Recruitment - I think we signed a number of good players to bolster the squad but still have some significant vacancies. A left back with genuine pace, an experienced keeper, a replacement for Taylor and a ball playing central midfielder. What we’re never likely to know is how many times we had players lined up for roles but couldn’t get the signature due to whatever reasons (pay, location, contract length etc).

Injuries - a number of players starting or in the squad in recent games have not been available a great deal so far this season.

Tactics - we tried a few different systems this season but it often seemed to me that the players either didn’t understand how they should be playing or they weren’t capable of playing those systems.

Finally, confidence. Once you start falling it’s hard to turn round. Sometimes a change of manager can help with that as it acts as a reset - especially when you’ve already got a reasonable bunch of players.

From what I’ve seen, Paul Hurst is extremely hard working, diligent and experienced but it just goes to show that even with those qualities, things can still go wrong in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › What’s Happened??

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.