5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 16, 2023, 5:51pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +844
Gold Stars: 117
I was at St Chad's Churchyard Extension in Dunholme today for a family funeral.

I saw 'Big Keith's headstone on the way out. The headstone is looking OK, but the grave is looking a bit forlorn and unloved and most certainly untended.

Sad to see, as it is with any grave within the last generation, that the grave isn't kept in a decent condition.

I know one of the main reasons that graves are no longer tended is because the family no longer live in the same area, and this may be the case with his family.

Pioneer..........Legend...............Big Keith.............whatever you want to call him........................he was one of us!

Attachment: img20231116142227_4816.jpg
Size: 276.52 KB

Attachment: img20231116142245_6809.jpg
Size: 118.75 KB

Attachment: img20231116142251_8615.jpg
Size: 123.15 KB

Logged Online
Private Message
chaos33
November 16, 2023, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,934
Gold Stars: 360
Ah that’s really pulled on my heart strings. Can any fans who are local to his grave take some flowers/plants and something GTFC linked - a scarf or some such. A few messages of love, remembrance or appreciation would make that seem more bearable and appropriate for a great man who served us admirably.

RIP Big Keith. Not forgotten.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
moosey_club
November 16, 2023, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
With all the beurocracy around cemetery plots it could quite easily be red tape and fee's that hinder any maintenance.  
Even when you have gone the b@st@rds still want to fleece you.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
toontown
November 16, 2023, 7:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from chaos33
Ah that’s really pulled on my heart strings. Can any fans who are local to his grave take some flowers/plants and something GTFC linked - a scarf or some such. A few messages of love, remembrance or appreciation would make that seem more bearable and appropriate for a great man who served us admirably.

RIP Big Keith. Not forgotten.

Seconded! One of my first heroes
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
Simon
November 16, 2023, 7:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Gentle giant was big Keith, had the pleasure in meeting him a few times and he was always willing to chat

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
forza ivano
November 16, 2023, 7:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,178
Gold Stars: 265
The headstone isn't in too bad condition, could do with a clean, but that's pretty easy to do.
It's the interior that needs some major attention
You won't be able to do any work on it unless you had the permission of the deedholder/family

I'm actually a gravetender (look it up!) and would be willing to do it at cost/petrol - could tie it in with a visit to my mum. Would be a pleasure to do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
ginnywings
November 16, 2023, 8:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano
The headstone isn't in too bad condition, could do with a clean, but that's pretty easy to do.
You won't be able to do any work on it unless you had the permission of the deedholder/family

I'm actually a gravetender (look it up!) and would be willing to do it at cost/petrol - could tie it in with a visit to my mum. Would be a pleasure to do

I did look it up and it's an interesting job you have. Also found your business on the association site.

I'm sure we could have a whip round on here for you to do it, with permission of course.

I met Keith at a mates wedding reception a few years ago and he was a lovely, friendly chap.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 16, 2023, 8:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,692
Gold Stars: 79
Out boozing later with a few Chimp fans so will try and check if his family are still living round here. I know he used to live at Dunholme, where he’s buried, so would think his widow is probably still there. Got plenty of mates who live in Welton, which is the adjoining village, so will also see what they know.

Played against him in local Sunday League Cup Final on Sinny Bank back in 1984 when he was at Boston Utd, but still picking up £40 and free lunch, playing for Ferryboat in Sunday Prem (we still beat them). After he retired he played in our over 35’s midweek 6 a side team and we won the league a couple of times. Lovely bloke he loved moaning how he got banned from driving without ever exceeding 35 mph!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
The Yard Dog
November 16, 2023, 8:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,504
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from forza ivano

I would contribute towards your cost of petrol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
It Bites
November 16, 2023, 9:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,166
Gold Stars: 264
I would contribute to this . He was a genuine Town Legend and played a huge part in getting Buckleys side on the move . The perfect partner  for Rees
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Big Keith

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.