Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › What my brother thinks
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

What my brother thinks

This thread currently has 2,339 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
November 16, 2023, 12:15pm
Guest User
Emails from my brother are usually lengthy and mostly concerned with matters GTFC.
I consider him wise because we generally agree.  
Some of his thoughts:

Hurst had signed too many players who were more attack-minded than he was, and this was the crux of the problem.

The players *are* good enough, as far as I'm concerned.. So what will the new manager face in his in-tray?

(1) Eastwood needs a confidence boost. Cartwright has done well coming into the side, but needs proper competition.

(2) Although the current squad is good enough, I still feel we're two or possibly three quality players short. We certainly need another centre back. Waterfall is starting to look creaky, in my view. I think we also need another right back. If Efete is to play, he has to be either a wing back or even a wide midfielder with a brief to deliver into the box. He has great upper body strength - hard to shove off the ball - but needs to play where his lapses are less costly. He can provide decent assists... ??

(3) I think Town should look at 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2) as this would allow 'Glenno' to play further up the field. He provided two goal assists in the Morecambe game. We need this service!

(4) I reckon Conteh is the best passer in the team, and should be operating more in the opposition half to link up our approach play better. 'Greeny' is better suited to the disruptive (!) play in front of Town's back line...

(5) I think Alex Hunt needs an arm across the shoulder, as the pundits say. Nige and I both felt that, at the moment, he's something of a 'luxury' player, but that when he's on song, he can ping long passes like no one else in the team. We need him to be back in the reckoning, as a strong tactical option.

(6) Town are conceding too many goals through the centre of the defence. This must be addressed, either in terms of formation, tactics or personnel - or some combination of these.

(7) Our ball distribution and retention are not good enough - I'd actually like to see us sign an 'old head' sitting midfielder to keep the engine room ticking over. The old Liverpool premise - wherever you are on the field, you should always have an easy pass - needs to be drummed into one and all.

( Our wide players must be encouraged to go past defenders: Eisa, Gnahoua, Khan and Vernam all have decent pace and ball skills. One of the things that sank Hurst (in my opinion) was that he wanted to pass the ball around - rather than through - the opposition defence, but any time a wide player came up against a defender (with no easy lay-off available, see (7) above) he ended up passing back/recycling the ball and losing any forward momentum in the process. Instead, we need to take more 'sensible risks'...

(9) I think 'Donny' Wilson is the best finisher in the side, and for me, he needs to start games alongside Danny Rose. That said, Pyke has done well in the last few matches. Competition is healthy!

(10) This might sound bizarre, but Town need to improve their throw-in routines. I've lost count this season of how many times in the opposition half we've turned over possession because our throw-in manoeuvres are so sluggish and predictable. Instead, if players are not able to safely receive the ball, you throw to someone down the line to force another throw - to gain territory. The spirit of Keith Alexander, and all that. If we're within 35/40 yards of the opponent's goal, then Maher chucks it long. And if he's not playing, then some other sod takes over... We have to weaponise our throw-ins

blundellpork
November 16, 2023, 12:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Broadly agree with most of these points, but a few further observations-

Glennon is far better attacking then defending, and so either needs to play wing back, or only play full back when the opposition don’t have a tricky winger. Against Morecambe he had little to defend, but often looks poor when having to defend.

I tend to think that Efete looks better running from deep a la Peter Bore. When there is plenty of ground to cover he certainly gets us up the pitch, but tends to get a little lost once he’s there.

Much of our play this season has been too pedestrian, with few runners off the ball. It looks like the interim management team have been working on this, as the last two home games have looked much more dynamic.

Pyke has really surprised me. The first time I saw him play he looked completely lost up front, and I thought we’d signed a dud. In fairness to him, he’s really notched up the goals since.

My biggest concern is central defence where the Waterfall, Smith, Maher combination looks far stronger than the Waterfall, Rogers, Maher version. In part this could be Waterfall slowing down, but Maher hasn’t been at the same level, and after the first 6 or so games, Rogers has looked quite shaky. I’d argue that he’s the one who needs some time out of the team to restore his confidence, and a loanee who could go straight into the team here would be quite helpful (I appreciate that we cannot currently sign any loan players).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Limerick Mariner
November 16, 2023, 2:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 136
Pyke probably is a dud as a lone front man playing with his back to goal, I’m a bit baffled by PH signing him and stating he’d been signed as a striker, without any appreciable league track record in that role. The change of approach B and S have made seem to have been perfect for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
moosey_club
November 16, 2023, 6:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Looks like your brother is pitching for the job.....and clearly knows how to use a computer...🤔

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
toontown
November 16, 2023, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from blundellpork
Broadly agree with most of these points, but a few further observations-

Glennon is far better attacking then defending, and so either needs to play wing back, or only play full back when the opposition don’t have a tricky winger. Against Morecambe he had little to defend, but often looks poor when having to defend.

I tend to think that Efete looks better running from deep a la Peter Bore. When there is plenty of ground to cover he certainly gets us up the pitch, but tends to get a little lost once he’s there.

Much of our play this season has been too pedestrian, with few runners off the ball. It looks like the interim management team have been working on this, as the last two home games have looked much more dynamic.

Pyke has really surprised me. The first time I saw him play he looked completely lost up front, and I thought we’d signed a dud. In fairness to him, he’s really notched up the goals since.

My biggest concern is central defence where the Waterfall, Smith, Maher combination looks far stronger than the Waterfall, Rogers, Maher version. In part this could be Waterfall slowing down, but Maher hasn’t been at the same level, and after the first 6 or so games, Rogers has looked quite shaky. I’d argue that he’s the one who needs some time out of the team to restore his confidence, and a loanee who could go straight into the team here would be quite helpful (I appreciate that we cannot currently sign any loan players).

Yeah efete is no good at attacking a defended final third with the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
lew chaterleys lover
November 16, 2023, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from toontown

Yeah efete is no good at attacking a defended final third with the ball.

How hard can it be to coach this into his game?!

"Carry the ball as you are doing, but instead of turning back, get as close as you can and cross it into the box..."

If nobody is there to attack it that is not his problem.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
LocalLadGTFC
November 16, 2023, 9:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
Efete has been our best full back this season, we've heard comments from Shaun and Ben Davies that Paul wanted his full backs to tuck in rather than get forward so he was obviously under instructions to not get forward as often.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 15
Northbank Mariner
November 16, 2023, 9:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,487
Gold Stars: 171

How hard can it be to coach this into his game?!

"Carry the ball as you are doing, but instead of turning back, get as close as you can and cross it into the box..."

If nobody is there to attack it that is not his problem.

You mean like he did for the DR goal against Slough?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
lew chaterleys lover
November 16, 2023, 9:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

You mean like he did for the DR goal against Slough?

Yes exactly that. But the critism of the previous poster was that he was lost in the final third. He can be coached into crossing it into the box instead of turning back. It's not rocket science is it?!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
devs
November 17, 2023, 11:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Efete has been our best full back this season, we've heard comments from Shaun and Ben Davies that Paul wanted his full backs to tuck in rather than get forward so he was obviously under instructions to not get forward as often.

That's a very low bar tbf!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
monkeyboy
November 17, 2023, 12:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from devs

That's a very low bar tbf!

When he first signed he was always bombing down the wing to good effect, thats certainly been trained out of him in the last couple of years.
When he first signed he would attack and try and go past his opposing player but now he stops and passes backwards, very Hurst safety like.

Everyone sung his praises in his first season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
Hagrid
November 17, 2023, 1:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,433
Gold Stars: 535
Quoted from monkeyboy

When he first signed he was always bombing down the wing to good effect, thats certainly been trained out of him in the last couple of years.
When he first signed he would attack and try and go past his opposing player but now he stops and passes backwards, very Hurst safety like.

Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that every mistake, every misplaced pass, every overhit cross, is jumped upon by our " great fans" The bloke was treated appallingly by a small section of the fanbase last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
toontown
November 17, 2023, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from monkeyboy

Sorry but that's total balderdash. He very rarely attempted to beat his man when he first arrived. He did on occasion attempt it but never going outside to make a cross, it was always cutting in towards the centre on the few times he attempted it. the Torquay away game where he actually scored from it being most memorable (they did defend it dreadfully mind).

In that game JPP who was commenting noted that he had seen him play in the division below and how he regularly beat his man and cut back a cross but didn't seem to be doing it. I personally suspect he could do that at that level just using his pace but he isn't quite quick enough to do that at NL/L2 level combined with having really poor ball control which players at higher level pounce on and dispossess him if he attempts it. When cutting diagonally inside he was so strong it was harder for the opposing player as he could partly shield the ball.

Even the cutting inside to beat his man seemed to happen less last season, he would just pass (usually sideways or backwards).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
forza ivano
November 17, 2023, 2:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,207
Gold Stars: 265
could be that Efete will be a beneficiary of the new 'brakes off' approach by the caretaker managers
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
JBazza
November 17, 2023, 2:34pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +75
Gold Stars: 1
I expect Efete to turn into light Kyle Walker now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
golfer
November 17, 2023, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 116
People say he is not that fast , but he is the fastest runner on Towns books.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › What my brother thinks

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.