3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
November 12, 2023, 10:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,191
Gold Stars: 51
Tweet 1723825806953103654 will appear here...

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
November 13, 2023, 12:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Rose is also gets the player of the week award
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
livosnose
November 13, 2023, 12:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,173
Gold Stars: 15
Best striker in the league since Wes Thomas .

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
It Bites
November 13, 2023, 7:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
Rose and green make the team tick .
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
mariner91
November 13, 2023, 8:19am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Rose is a fantastic striker for this level and it's one of Hurst's major failings this year that he didn't get a system set up to get the best out of him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
Sandford1981
November 13, 2023, 10:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
I know it’s not a universally held opinion but I think Town are a much better side with Green in it and have done since he signed.
A lot of people highlight his supposed weaknesses but I prefer to see the positive effect he has on others individually and collectively as a team.
His work rate, willingness to tackle anything that moves, his fight and attitude are first class and he gives us a stronger defensive base from which to operate.
Every team (especially at this level) need that unsung hero who will do the dirty work and scrap from minute one to ninety-five.
I think he could be a positive influence on Conteh too and could unlock a more box to box type player in him.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
bradzmilne
November 13, 2023, 12:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
When you’ve got your back against the wall & results aren’t going your way… Green is exactly the type of player you need.

I still want to see a midfield of; Conteh, Green & Hunt at some point. On paper they compliment each other really well.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
diehardmariner
November 13, 2023, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from bradzmilne
When you’ve got your back against the wall & results aren’t going your way… Green is exactly the type of player you need.

I still want to see a midfield of; Conteh, Green & Hunt at some point. On paper they compliment each other really well.

I'm in agreement with this, or at least would like to see it tested out.  I think you've got a bit of everything in there.  I've long said I think Hunt is more effective further forward and I think Conteh is too good a footballer just to be screening the back four, I want to see him dominate teams rather than just wait for the play to come to him.

I also agree about the value Green brings to the team.  He's got limitations, as has virtually every other player at this level, but I think if you put him in the midfield it should allow you to play two others who have the freedom to be far more attacking and maybe even take more risks.  
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
LocalLadGTFC
November 13, 2023, 1:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Biggest change was you heard voices, when your in the trenches you need leadership and clear communication. We lacked that in the first half at the back, it improved in the second half as Maher seemed to take a grip and come and attack things. Anytime the ball was within 5 yards of Greeny you could hear him screaming making sure they knew it was his ball, something we've massively missed. I personally think Green, Conteh and Gav are our best midfield 3. I don't see how you can leave Gav out anymore and I was one of those that thought he'd be moving on at the start of the season. He improves everyone around him and is a leader in the same way Stevie G was at Liverpool. Not the most vocal but he leads through his performances and the way he demands 100% from everyone.  
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 26
toontown
November 13, 2023, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Biggest change was you heard voices, when your in the trenches you need leadership and clear communication. We lacked that in the first half at the back, it improved in the second half as Maher seemed to take a grip and come and attack things. Anytime the ball was within 5 yards of Greeny you could hear him screaming making sure they knew it was his ball, something we've massively missed. I personally think Green, Conteh and Gav are our best midfield 3. I don't see how you can leave Gav out anymore and I was one of those that thought he'd be moving on at the start of the season. He improves everyone around him and is a leader in the same way Stevie G was at Liverpool. Not the most vocal but he leads through his performances and the way he demands 100% from everyone.  

I certainly agree that Gav needs to be in there. I'd try conteh further forward before Hunt too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
diehardmariner
November 13, 2023, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Yes fair point on Holohan, he has proved to be consistently our best performer this season, across the whole team not just midfield.  

At the minute he's absolutely deserving of his place in the starting eleven, he does indeed set the tempo for the team. A bit like Clifton did last year.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 26
Maringer
November 13, 2023, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Our starting midfield 3 were all capable of putting in a strong, physical shift on Saturday and I think it helped us a lot. All 3 were tall enough, decent in the air and could cover the ground required when playing 4-3-3. I agree that I can't see Green and Holohan being dropped after that performance, so it will be interesting to see if Conteh can earn a place in the team.

I personally think Hunt is miles off a start at the moment and I'm not quite sure how he will fit in as he doesn't have the physicality of our other midfield options. If we were playing more of a 4-5-1 (as we perhaps might, away from home), there might be a place for him in there, but I am not convinced he has done anything to deserve a spot in the middle at the moment. He'll need to do very well indeed in training to get near to a start with the other options we have available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 2:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
I'd like to see the same team from Saturday (with someone in for Khan; Harry?) start on Tuesday with the instruction to go and do what you did against Morecambe.

If they beat Slough then that is the team for the next game. Let results pick the team.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 26
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 13, 2023, 2:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Let results pick the team.

I don’t think he’s applied. Rumour is he likes the bottle.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 26
DB
November 13, 2023, 3:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 387
I'd like to see the same team from Saturday (with someone in for Khan; Harry?) start on Tuesday with the instruction to go and do what you did against Morecambe.

If they beat Slough then that is the team for the next game. Let results pick the team.

I agree, it certainly pays to keep a winning team together, if you can. Too much chopping and changing makes it unsettled, which we have had in the past.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 26
RichMariner
November 13, 2023, 3:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I feel a bit sad about the Hunt situation. When he first joined us (on loan) at the start of the 21/22 season, Hurst said something to the effect of 'we didn't think we'd get him, it was a speculative enquiry' and then when we signed him permanently we tied him down on a 3-year deal.

Not sure what's happened behind the scenes. At one point he looked like he had a future at Wednesday. Most Owls fans said he looked good but just couldn't get in the side because they had depth in central midfield.

I think Gav Holohan was a very astute signing - typical Hurst one, really. Someone who'd got experience of getting out the NL. He chips in with goals quite regularly. It's nice when a midfielder does that!

Clifton is Clifton, generally reliable and will always put a shift in (and play anywhere if needed). Green's showing why Hurst signed him and Conteh does look a cut above, although he doesn't contribute goals and we've been leaking them as well. Hard to know what to make of that.

If we're playing three behind Rose with the central one being in the McAtee mould then you've only got room for two central midfielders, unless Holohan or Hunt plays the McAtee role. There's quite a lot of competition floating about, and we haven't yet mentioned Khouri (although I did worry at the time of us signing Andrews on loan that it'll keep Khouri out the side). I know he's got a contract extension but still, he's nearly 21 now so should be pushing for a place.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 26
LocalLadGTFC
November 13, 2023, 3:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I feel a bit sad about the Hunt situation. When he first joined us (on loan) at the start of the 21/22 season, Hurst said something to the effect of 'we didn't think we'd get him, it was a speculative enquiry' and then when we signed him permanently we tied him down on a 3-year deal.

Not sure what's happened behind the scenes. At one point he looked like he had a future at Wednesday. Most Owls fans said he looked good but just couldn't get in the side because they had depth in central midfield.

I think Gav Holohan was a very astute signing - typical Hurst one, really. Someone who'd got experience of getting out the NL. He chips in with goals quite regularly. It's nice when a midfielder does that!

Clifton is Clifton, generally reliable and will always put a shift in (and play anywhere if needed). Green's showing why Hurst signed him and Conteh does look a cut above, although he doesn't contribute goals and we've been leaking them as well. Hard to know what to make of that.

If we're playing three behind Rose with the central one being in the McAtee mould then you've only got room for two central midfielders, unless Holohan or Hunt plays the McAtee role. There's quite a lot of competition floating about, and we haven't yet mentioned Khouri (although I did worry at the time of us signing Andrews on loan that it'll keep Khouri out the side). I know he's got a contract extension but still, he's nearly 21 now so should be pushing for a place.

Andrews was signed because Evan got injured, he'd of been in and around the team if not.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 3:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DB

I agree, it certainly pays to keep a winning team together, if you can. Too much chopping and changing makes it unsettled, which we have had in the past.

Having seen Shaun's interview on Twitter/X this isn't going to happen. Sounds like he would have wanted to do that but a couple of injuries are going to force their hand (and Otis playing for Pakistan).

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2023, 3:51pm
Champagne Drinker

Didn't stop us appointing managers in the past (or signing strikers).

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 26
diehardmariner
November 13, 2023, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker

Just to keep it an actual front three as opposed to a 5-man midfield, I'd be tempted to go with Wilson in for Khan.  However that does mean that we'll have no attacking options off the bench, other than young lads like Essel and Gardner.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 26
LocalLadGTFC
November 13, 2023, 4:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Think it'll be a good sign to see some of the young lads on the bench, show there's direct progression into the first team. Our Youth Team this year is probably the best it's been in a very long time, unbeaten and play South Shields in the second round of the FA Youth Cup. A few of them look really really good prospects.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 26
forza ivano
November 13, 2023, 5:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Think it'll be a good sign to see some of the young lads on the bench, show there's direct progression into the first team. Our Youth Team this year is probably the best it's been in a very long time, unbeaten and play South Shields in the second round of the FA Youth Cup. A few of them look really really good prospects.

what is the date of the next round
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
TwoLeftFeet
November 13, 2023, 5:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +2,082
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

9 subs in the FA cup so with players missing will expect a couple of young players on the bench..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
Mayaman
November 13, 2023, 5:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Green looked like a lumpah, a scraper.  He's increasingly showing he's that but more. Defo an asset for the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
LocalLadGTFC
November 14, 2023, 12:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

what is the date of the next round

Just checked, it's on Wednesday so we won't see any YT's on the bench i'd assume
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 26
chaos33
November 14, 2023, 6:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Not necessarily

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
GrimPol
November 14, 2023, 9:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

Hang on a minute, you can't go around repeating a damaging rumour. Thats not on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Green & Rose

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.