Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
November 11, 2023, 9:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
The Morecambe manager thinks this was Grimsby's Cup final.

I know managers are under a lot of pressure and are gutted after a defeat but that is one of the daftest things I have heard any manager say anywhere ever.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
Chrisblor
November 11, 2023, 9:42pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,854
Gold Stars: 235
Yeah with town's poor form I was really umming and ahhing about whether to make the trip to Blundell Park earlier today. It was only when I realised M A S S I V E Morecambe were visiting that I bothered to leave the house, good one Derek you massive dipshit.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
forza ivano
November 11, 2023, 9:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
love that 3rd goal - great bit of work by Holohan, n what a ball in by Glennon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Heisenberg
November 11, 2023, 10:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Chrisblor
Yeah with town's poor form I was really umming and ahhing about whether to make the trip to Blundell Park earlier today. It was only when I realised M A S S I V E Morecambe were visiting that I bothered to leave the house, good one Derek you massive dipshit.

Come on, Morecambe get crowds of 6000…..well, never, actually!

Good team, Morecambe, but as a club, distinctly non-league whether they’re punching above their weight or not.

It largely means not too much, all this size of club stuff, but there is no comparison - EVERY game they play in the EFL is nosebleed territory for them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
ginnywings
November 11, 2023, 10:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Extended highlights.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 11, 2023, 10:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79

I know managers are under a lot of pressure and are gutted after a defeat but that is one of the daftest things I have heard any manager say anywhere ever.

Just listened to his interview and to be fair he was pretty honest saying we were much the better side who deserved to be ahead at half time and fully merited our victory. Think his Cup Final reference was more that this was a one off match we wanted to win for our temporary management team rather than we were up against the mighty Morecambe, well that’s how I interpreted his comments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
HertsGTFC
November 11, 2023, 11:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,952
Gold Stars: 228
Have to say despite Andrews & Holohan not picking up midfield runners for the opening goal Maher needs to do much better with an unchallenged defensive header that led to the goal.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
LocalLadGTFC
November 11, 2023, 11:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,220
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Have to say despite Andrews & Holohan not picking up midfield runners for the opening goal Maher needs to do much better with an unchallenged defensive header that led to the goal.

Was confused why he even came for it if i’m honest when Glennon was in the area already and left us out numbered in the middle.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 30
chaos33
November 11, 2023, 11:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360

Absolute bell. Cup final my @rse. It was just a game we needed to win, and we did. Deluded wazzock. As if Morecambe can claim that when playing a club more than twice it’s size. Fair play to them for being in L2, but they’re punching way above their natural weight if you want to judge it by the ‘how many people are interested in you, and what have you ever achieved in football’ arbitrary metric. Sour grapes. Say you were beaten by a better team, say you’re disappointed and a bit cross; then sit down with your 139 fans and shut up.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
forza ivano
November 12, 2023, 12:10am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from ginnywings
Extended highlights.

that was a great save by smith from Pyke in the 2nd half. noticeable from those highlights how often pyke was getting into centre forward/goalscoring positions

n Glennon looking like the original Glennon that we knew n loved

happy days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
chaos33
November 12, 2023, 8:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Couple of I things noticed whilst watching the highlights back a few times. The first minute goal we concede is down to a moment of not being switched on, and by ball watching, meaning you’re in bad position because you haven’t focused on your man and anticipated where the ball might go. Just one common defensive error by one player. Goal down.

Second goal especially a thing of beauty though. Drilled long diagonal into a very good area of the box; Rose makes it his with a sublime header  and you can see Green has anticipated  perfectly and a very tidy finish indeed! Hear the release of emotion from the crowd as that goes in. F*+*ing get in!!

In those two goals you could see the pivotal role of ‘anticipation’, or focusing on where the ball is going, not where it’s been.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
golfer
November 12, 2023, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
A squared + B squared = C squared  well said Chaos
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Just listened to his interview and to be fair he was pretty honest saying we were much the better side who deserved to be ahead at half time and fully merited our victory. Think his Cup Final reference was more that this was a one off match we wanted to win for our temporary management team rather than we were up against the mighty Morecambe, well that’s how I interpreted his comments.

Of course he added context, but nonetheless it was a bizarre and stupid comment. He has been in football long enough to know that phrase means a lowly club raising their game against a much bigger club and when you are manager of Morecambe you can never say that.

Not a first world problem but I did get somewhat irritated.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
Croxton
November 12, 2023, 9:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
I was one who said Cartwright would be crushed by the responsibility of a regular run of games. How wrong!

I also said Pyke was slow in thought and deed with little apparent aptitude. He really rammed it down my throat yesterday.

They have clearly advanced their stock in training and grabbed their chance with a passion.

Well played both of you.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Poojah
November 12, 2023, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,576
Gold Stars: 1,502

Of course he added context, but nonetheless it was a bizarre and stupid comment. He has been in football long enough to know that phrase means a lowly club raising their game against a much bigger club and when you are manager of Morecambe you can never say that.

Not a first world problem but I did get somewhat irritated.

A clumsy choice of words perhaps, but he’s not being deliberately or consciously disrespectful. He meant it as described above; it had a sense of a one-off game for us, while it was just another for Morecambe.

He concedes we were the better side, which we were.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2023, 10:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,278
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from chaos33
Couple of I things noticed whilst watching the highlights back a few times. The first minute goal we concede is down to a moment of not being switched on, and by ball watching, meaning you’re in bad position because you haven’t focused on your man and anticipated where the ball might go. Just one common defensive error by one player. Goal down.

Second goal especially a thing of beauty though. Drilled long diagonal into a very good area of the box; Rose makes it his with a sublime header  and you can see Green has anticipated  perfectly and a very tidy finish indeed! Hear the release of emotion from the crowd as that goes in. F*+*ing get in!!

In those two goals you could see the pivotal role of ‘anticipation’, or focusing on where the ball is going, not where it’s been.

You can get away with not anticipating where the ball goes if you `play` your man, even if the striker gets to the ball first you can get a challenge in to put him off/deflect the ball/disrupt his run. To do neither is poor defending.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
chaos33
November 12, 2023, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Exactly that. And that’s what happened with Rodgers for the goal. Look at his positioning - he’s not even close never mind tight and behind. He’s either switched off/not on yet, or he’s just ballwatching. Luckily his game picked up significantly. But it’s these kind of defensive errors - errors that happen at every level in football, that have been costing us because we’ve made too many too often. Cut that in half and we’ll be picking up points if we play like we did offensively yesterday.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Hagrid
November 12, 2023, 1:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from chaos33
Exactly that. And that’s what happened with Rodgers for the goal. Look at his positioning - he’s not even close never mind tight and behind. He’s either switched off/not on yet, or he’s just ballwatching. Luckily his game picked up significantly. But it’s these kind of defensive errors - errors that happen at every level in football, that have been costing us because we’ve made too many too often. Cut that in half and we’ll be picking up points if we play like we did offensively yesterday.

We’ve been playing like that offensively so lets not pretend like its suddenly happened yesterday.
Scored 2 against Crawley, Stockport and Colchester. Its the defensive errors week in week out that have cost us for weeks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
DB
November 12, 2023, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Attacking wise  -  Happy Days
Defensive wise  - Could do a lot better

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 12, 2023, 3:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Hagrid

We’ve been playing like that offensively so lets not pretend like its suddenly happened yesterday.
Scored 2 against Crawley, Stockport and Colchester. Its the defensive errors week in week out that have cost us for weeks

Think the difference yesterday was the attacking intent that was demonstrable throughout the team and whilst we scored three we also had Gav’s miss, hit the post and a great save from their keeper. In addition both full backs put in numerous crosses and for once we had more than one man in the box. It just felt completely different yesterday and I think the fact that the fans stayed supportive throughout the first half was indicative of the fact that we appreciated that we were playing on the front foot.

Just going back to that first goal I was in the Upper and immediately said to my brother why didn’t Glennon just shout telling Maher to leave it as it was going nowhere that would cause us a problem. That and the dodgy back pass were about the only two things he got wrong yesterday and being a big fan of his great to see his return to form.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2023, 3:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Yesterday also showed just how much influence the man at the top, the manager has.

A backroom staff of ex players, coaches and people supposedly influencing what happens on the pitch probably all knowing we needed to take the handbrake off, get people closer to Rose and get overlapping full backs raining the crosses in would pay dividends. It must have been obvious to them all that the fans were quiet because they were bored rigid seeing no adventure, or dynamism in our play yet Hurst persisted with it for weeks on end.

You would have thought meetings between manager and backroom staff would have highlighted the failings yet only now when the manager goes do we get changes to the whole approach.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
Davec
November 12, 2023, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 42
Yesterday also showed just how much influence the man at the top, the manager has.

A backroom staff of ex players, coaches and people supposedly influencing what happens on the pitch probably all knowing we needed to take the handbrake off, get people closer to Rose and get overlapping full backs raining the crosses in would pay dividends. It must have been obvious to them all that the fans were quiet because they were bored rigid seeing no adventure, or dynamism in our play yet Hurst persisted with it for weeks on end.

You would have thought meetings between manager and backroom staff would have highlighted the failings yet only now when the manager goes do we get changes to the whole approach.

In the build up to the Slough game on his pre match interview with Radio Humberside Pearson did hint at changing things he disagreed with so maybe these opinions were put across to Hurst when he was in charge but of course Hurst being the man in charge. He had final say on things
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
chaos33
November 12, 2023, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Fantastic. Emotional.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
Poojah
November 12, 2023, 9:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Two observations.

1. The opening clip offers a great angle of Gav’s inch perfect pass betwixt two Morecambe defenders to play through Glennon, who then crosses for Pyke’s goal. Bit of Irish magic, that.

2. The footage also reminded me of the inexplicable return of the “Chelsea dagger” goa music after the aforementioned goal, which I don’t recall having heard since Liam Hearn era non-league days. Can we please not do this?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
mimma
November 12, 2023, 9:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Anyone else notice that Rose was offside for the equaliser? Keeper drops the ball onto Pyke's head, Rose is stood behind the last man and keeper.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Poojah
November 12, 2023, 10:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
Anyone else notice that Rose was offside for the equaliser? Keeper drops the ball onto Pyke's head, Rose is stood behind the last man and keeper.

The angle makes it look like that in real time, but he’s played on by Slew. Look at Rose and Slew’s shoulders rather than their feet, for a less deceiving perspective.

P.S. it’s definitely Green’s head the ball bounces off; Pyke gets blocked off by a Morecambe defender.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Abdul19
November 12, 2023, 10:23pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,567
Gold Stars: 216
Confirmed

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
Poojah
November 12, 2023, 10:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Not quite conclusive for my liking. Could you draw a cartoon cóck and balls on their number 10 to make certain?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
chaos33
November 12, 2023, 11:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
mimma
November 13, 2023, 12:06am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
where did you get these pictures? They're very good and show a different angle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Morecambe highlights

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.