2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
denni266
November 11, 2023, 10:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Will playing darts count as training ?????  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
The Caterham Mariner
November 11, 2023, 11:02am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

Which pub would the training sessions be held in ?

Any one, which will allow a group of sweaty old blokes trying to kid themselves  who think they can still play !!
I should know  I am the "Goalie"
Back in the day in People's Park.
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
Grimal
November 11, 2023, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,874
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from DB
Could we raise a team to field in a local league and would we be worse than Cwm Albion FC.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne.....cks-return-week.html

We've been crowned Britain's worst football team: Our midfielder is 73, our winger has 'legs like Bambi' and we conceded 200 goals in a season - but despite the knockbacks we return every week
Cwm Albion FC in the Swansea Senior League lost all 22 of their games last year
Team includes goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald with no clean sheets in ten years

This is the worst football team in Britain, conceding 200 goals last season with a goalkeeper who has not kept a clean sheet for a decade and a pensioner in midfield.

Cwm Albion FC in the Swansea Senior League have a 100-year-old history but have fallen on hard times, getting a battering each week.

The club lost all 22 of their games last year - and had a mammoth minus 191 goal difference, conceding 200 goals.

The team includes goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald, who has never had a clean sheet in his ten years with the club, and veteran midfielder John Rees who is still playing aged 73.

Cwm Albion FC in the Swansea Senior League have been getting a battering each week

Cwm Albion FC in the Swansea Senior League have been getting a battering each week

Dan Gill, 32, manager and centre midfielder, has been with the club since the age of 16

Dan Gill, 32, manager and centre midfielder, has been with the club since the age of 16

The club lost all 22 of their games last year - and had a mammoth minus 191 goal difference

The club lost all 22 of their games last year - and had a mammoth minus 191 goal difference

The side, who play in the Swansea Senior League, have now been crowned Britain's 'Best Worst Team' in a competition by Specsavers.

But despite their bleak results, manager Dan Gill, said his players were fully committed to the team.

He said: 'Despite the knock backs, each week we turn up and put our hearts into every game, no matter the scoreline - and we lost 10-0 the other day, so that says a lot.

'I've been involved with the club since I was 16 and my dad, Colin, has been part of Cwm Albion for more than 50 years. We really are a family.'

The team in Swansea features a goalkeeper who has not kept a clean sheet for a decade

The team in Swansea features a goalkeeper who has not kept a clean sheet for a decade

The side have now been crowned Britain's 'Best Worst Team' in a competition by Specsavers

The side have now been crowned Britain's 'Best Worst Team' in a competition by Specsavers

Other players in the team include winger Shane Prior, who says he has 'legs like Bambi', and holding midfielder Paul DiMarco, who will 'have a nose bleed' if he goes too far up the pitch.

The team also features two sets of father and son duos playing together.

For winning the competition, the club will have a training session with a former Premier League star who is yet to be revealed.

Lisa Hale, head of consumer communications at Specsavers, said: 'It's obvious how passionate Cwm Albion are about the game, so really can't wait to get behind them and hopefully with our support they will have a victory to celebrate soon.'

And I bet everyone of those players enjoy every minute of every game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
jaygy
November 11, 2023, 10:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Not sure if many are familiar with the Scunthorpe leagues but ever since I started playing 20+ years ago there was a team at Santon(village of about 20 houses) which played in Appleby that were thumped 20 nil every single week. Only just noticed they're still going and still getting hammered ever week!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
November 12, 2023, 9:29am
Guest User
Quoted from jaygy
Not sure if many are familiar with the Scunthorpe leagues but ever since I started playing 20+ years ago there was a team at Santon(village of about 20 houses) which played in Appleby that were thumped 20 nil every single week. Only just noticed they're still going and still getting hammered ever week!

Back in the late 60's I played in the Scunthorpe Leagues with Barton United, we started off in the 4th Division and had consecutive promotion's up to the 1st Division.  However, I digress.  I worked for a company called Eccles Transport as a diesel fitter, and based at Santon.  As the years have passed by I forget why, but I did play one match for Santon against a Barrow upon Humber side, which we won 3-0, and I scored all 3 goals.  Graham Rusling, who played as a Centre Forward for Scunthorpe United was watching the game, but I never got a call from Scunny, I think Rusling was afraid I might take his place.  (Doubtful).  Anyway, just a little anecdote that came back to me when I saw Santon mentioned.

Reply: 14 - 16
Mallyner
November 12, 2023, 9:48am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Among the many better teams I played for, was when I played for Weelsby Rovers, home field Sidney Park.

Jack Wattam was God knows how old at the time; and I once played him down the wing with a beautiful ball which he failed to reach; and his son Barry said I should have played it 30 years ago.

I broke my leg in a kick about in Weelsby Woods; and it had only been out of plaster about a week, when I went to watch them on Bradley; and they were a man short so the game couldn't start. So with muscle waste, one leg was half as thin as the other, when I nervously went in goal. Anyway I survived.

I'm 74 now and I still play regularly in my sleep; and kneed in a beautiful goal last night; although judging by Pam's scream, she didn't think so.  

If the FISHY FC need a wide man, I am here.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
lukeo
November 12, 2023, 10:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Brechin are looking for a manager...
Les interested?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › THE FISHY F C

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.