Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2/3random topics-time at the top,sporting director
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

2/3random topics-time at the top,sporting director

This thread currently has 580 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
forza ivano
October 29, 2023, 9:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
reading an article in World Soccer - a study in 2020 in the independent calculated the span of a top line manager to be 12.3 years,.The point is not so much the precise figure but the acceptance that there is a peak & it isn't very long. It's a hard job and renewing teams is hard, as is your way of thinking (don't change a winning formula or combination). It's hard to refresh your thinking, when your way has been successful previously.Finding ways to modify your successful old approach is hard. Maintaining focus & drive, being prepared to take a risk, avoiding the lapse into stereotype and that's before you consider all the external factors that are changing things

All very apposite when you consider this season and PH - it feels to me to be a bit like the managerial version of Luke Waterfall - a season too far. I've never heard PH, until this season, complain so much about referees and the ultimate him being unable to offer a solution, apart from having to wait until our luck changed. I wonder if he wasn't enjoying it as much, and maybe deep down being sacked might come as a blessed relief.

And one final thing to throw in there; this time on the way forward - Gareth Jennings.
Former head of FIFA's technical director programme; no doubt 1878 would be taking soundings from him on the way forward and with his expertise I wonder if they might look at a sporting/technical director at the helm with a coach below him. A random thought, but it'd be fairly revolutionary for the UK ,which might appeal, plus it would also fit with their idea of a football club being run more like a normal business.
Think I'm right in saying it's pretty normal elsewhere in Europe ,but has never really taken off here. Perhaps someone could confirm or put me right
Logged Offline
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 29, 2023, 10:56am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
With the possible exception of the promoted clubs most, if not all of the PL clubs will have a Director of Football (DoF) or equivalent.

Over half of the Championship clubs will too.

Like most things, when it works, it works. When it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

The success of it depends on the person in the role. It’s supposed to ensure continuity and style rather than flitting from a Mourinho to a Bielsa to a Dyche in succession.

Emery is doing a great job at Villa but if it goes wrong, Monchi (the DoF) would probably get the chop too. In which case, it slightly defeats the object.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 2
diehardmariner
October 29, 2023, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
The continuity of it at this level would, you suspect, be at increased risk if successful wouldn't it? Simply owing to the vulnerability of a successful DoF/SD getting poached from higher up the chain.

Not saying I wouldn't welcome that happening here, just think it would come with risks. Although I'd happily be in a position of our staff getting nabbed because we're successful.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 2/3random topics-time at the top,sporting director

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.