Private Message
diehardmariner
October 10, 2023, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,624
Gold Stars: 539
With only two guaranteed host slots, it would almost be funny if there was only 2 of the hosting nations represented.

Casement Park as the Northern Irish venue could be, ahem, interesting if it doesn't get redeveloped in time.  Suppose there's more than enough adequate stadiums in the UK to step in should it be needed.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Manchester Mariner
October 10, 2023, 11:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
No doubt Southgate will still be selecting Harry Maguire in 2028.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Madeleymariner
October 10, 2023, 2:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,057
Gold Stars: 50
Not much competition in the end to get to host it. Didn't our main competitor drop out a few weeks ago.  Interesting to see if it makes a lot of money, as it seems the cost of hosting big sporting events is getting ridiculous. Still home advantage can always help. Come on you Ingerland
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Maringer
October 10, 2023, 3:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Supposedly, we're going to ask to join the qualification competition despite our status as co-hosts so we have some proper competitive matches. Would be a touch embarrassing if we failed to qualify, not that this is too likely given the way the competition is structured.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
lukeo
October 10, 2023, 4:12pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Never been to an England game or to fan parks, world cups etc.

So this is a perfect opportunity so I'm hoping I'll be able to go do a weekend in Cardiff or London and try get to a couple of games alongside mingling around fanzones etc. Won't quite be the same as being abroad but I guess it's the next best thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
DB
October 10, 2023, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Given the number of 1st class stadiums in England, you have to wonder why it had to be co-hosted.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 10, 2023, 4:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from DB
Given the number of 1st class stadiums in England, you have to wonder why it had to be co-hosted.

To keep the Irish FA, FA of Ireland, Scottish and Welsh FAs happy.

That leads to 4 votes, plus the English FA’s vote, which all will be winging their way to support the joint Italo-Turk bid for Euro 2032. UEFA are under pressure to keep Erdogan happy, which is why so many UEFA finals are played in Istanbul.

That’s why WC 2030 is being held in 3 continents and 6 countries. Those countries will then support the Saudi Arabia ‘bid’.

…and for the love of the game, the beautiful game, jogo bonito, FL Trophy love, David Beckham statues and a Saudi bid to host WC34 and Euro 36 in 2035, with Messi allowed to pick a side of his choice as a special guest goal hanger…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
grimps
October 10, 2023, 5:34pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
We’re getting the scraps as usual as FIFA know we’ll not pay the bungs for the World Cup
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
Mappers
October 10, 2023, 6:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimps
We’re getting the scraps as usual as FIFA know we’ll not pay the bungs for the World Cup

I thought The Euros used to be much better fair than World Cups in it's previous guise as there were no majorly weak teams ,it was relatively high level teams right through ; even in the group stages . I think now the quality is quite diluted isn't it ?
Not even sure of the specific format but a lot of weak teams qualify even Scotland for this next one probably .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
mimma
October 11, 2023, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
I cannot for the life of me understand why major tournaments have to be spread over different countries, it's madness.
I also cannot fathom out why we get left out when it comes to the world cup other than money and an anti England feeling within the powers that be.
USA for example will have now hosted 3 different world cups while they very genously given us one.
I was too young to go to any in 1966, and will be dead by the time we ever get another one.
Thank you FIFA,  you greedy illegitimates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 11, 2023, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from diehardmariner
With only two guaranteed host slots, it would almost be funny if there was only 2 of the hosting nations represented.

Casement Park as the Northern Irish venue could be, ahem, interesting if it doesn't get redeveloped in time.  Suppose there's more than enough adequate stadiums in the UK to step in should it be needed.

It’s a very strange one this. Casement Park is actually a GAA stadium in and football is usually not permitted to be played at GAA stadiums. In fact, I think that Ulster GAA have had to revoke rule 42 allowing the the ground to be given the green light to be used.

In fact. I find it shocking as planning has been denied numerous times. The only reason I can see this making any sense is if Ulster GAA receive outside funding to ‘help’ redevelop the ground. Windsor park is a more than capable stadium (although only holds circa 20000) but, not even sure if that will be filled to capacity (though depends on fixtures I guess)

There’s been condemnation locally as to why Derry City’s brandywell hasn’t been put forward but, am guessing this could be because they play under the FAI umbrella and not the Northern Ireland FA

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › UK and Ireland to host Euro 2028

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.