Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Loose lipped leadership?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Loose lipped leadership?

This thread currently has 2,803 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
October 8, 2023, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I see improvements in the quality of our squad, particularly in terms of permanent rather than loan signings, but the squad doesn’t seem to be gelling. Hurst called Donovan Wilson ‘a worrier’ on interview last night, I don’t like that, it’s unlike him to question his players attitude. Something, to me, isn’t right.

I think the 'worrier' comment was more to do with him worrying about every little knock and niggle. A lot of injuries are reliant on the player saying how they feel, some will want to play if they can, and others worry too much. Former players often say they were never fully fit through the season as they were always carrying a knock of some sort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 9, 2023, 12:53am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
What we seem to forget is that we had a decent 'budget' for the summer transfers but that doesnt mean that it included every penny earned from the cup run PLUS the money 1878 had already allocated for the season. A good %age from those two sources may have been in the summer budget, but there could still be a hefty portion left for the January transfer window and/or next summers budget.

Admittedly nobody outside the club knows what monies have been spent and how much has been kept back for future needs.

I personally think they would have been stupid to spaff it all away on one transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
tashee69
October 9, 2023, 1:30am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1mickylyons

You being the font of all knowledge eh?
Happy Clapper Alert ⚠️

What a ridiculous comment. Sort of thing thing that split Scunny supporters apart, wanting to put the supporters into one of two categories.
Think you need to realise not everybody that doesn’t have a go at the club is a happy clapper or wears rose tinted spectacles . . There is a vast majority in the middle of the two extremes that can see both good and bad of what is going on at the moment

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
aldi_01
October 9, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Happy clapper is such a weird comment. Just because someone doesn’t share the same dour, negative view as them they refer to the person as a happy clapper. Very odd.

For what it’s worth, I do think he’s improved the squad but Wilson getting injured, again, hasn’t helped when it’s clear he has an eye for goal. We’ve had an horrific start in terms of games which actually wasn’t as bad as people have believed it.

We had, what we regard as a decent budget (likely split, and sensibly so over transfer windows) but when you compare it to others, it’s peanuts. I’m not saying that’s lack of investment but it helps provide some context, and, if some fans dug their heads out their arses long enough to stop looking for every negative because Hurst once cupped his ears, they’d see that competing is the first step on a journey.

Sometimes there is no please in town fans. We got promoted and I heard people saying we’d not been good that season, like it flipping matters. Someone even said to me, outside Brighton’s ground ‘we’re not very good’…perhaps we weren’t but for once, just once ya miserable girl privates, enjoy it and rejoice in the fact we’re in an FA cup quarter final…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
October 9, 2023, 9:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I see improvements in the quality of our squad, particularly in terms of permanent rather than loan signings, but the squad doesn’t seem to be gelling. Hurst called Donovan Wilson ‘a worrier’ on interview last night, I don’t like that, it’s unlike him to question his players attitude. Something, to me, isn’t right.

It's as clear as a pikestaff that something isn't right.

Some of last seasons stalwarts out of form at the same time, no set pattern to the play, new players not setting the world on fire bar Eisas spectacular goals, injuries causing disruption and certainly a lack of togetherness which characterised the team the last season and a half. I can't help but think none of it has really taken off yet and we just can't seem to get going or enthuse the crowd.

Some of those things can't be helped but perhaps this squad is taking longer to gel.

We can only hope it settles down and the 4 points last week gives the squad a bit of confidence.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
AncientExiledMariner
October 9, 2023, 9:11am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from aldi_01
Happy clapper is such a weird comment. Just because someone doesn’t share the same dour, negative view as them they refer to the person as a happy clapper. Very odd.

I think it's very subtle ableism and trying to imply someone is mentally challenged for supporting, while they, the critical ones are the clever ones.

In reality, human's are emotional beings. Angry and emotional outbursts when something doesn't go our way is something we start with a as a child. It takes wisdom and memory, to remember what that player was capable of at their best, or all the cases of players that improved massively, or those with dips of form. It takes using the noggin to see Chelsea or Watford sacking managers and then things declining.

Often people are negative because those folk have nothing to contribute and ripping down others helps them feeling they're being pulled up in the process. But hey, if you have to rip down others to make yourself look like something good, maybe you have very little remarkable about yourself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
Dodorondon
October 9, 2023, 9:17am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
Do you think this forum should have a pseud’s corner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Loose lipped leadership?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.