3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
September 30, 2023, 11:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
If as expected we lose today can we all stop the hate that goes on after each defeat.

Does anybody really think Hurst is in a job for life and does not care if we win ,draw or lose. ?

Of course he cares and it hurts him Just as much if not more than us.

After today we have a couple of games we can win so that will make it 16 points from 12 games a fair start seeing how many of the better teams we have played.

We always have good periods as well as bad so let's get behind the players and Hurst when they need us not just when we are winning.

Onwards and upwards together !!!!!!!      

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
wuffing
September 30, 2023, 11:16am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Dangerous game on paper Pete...

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
dapperz fun pub
September 30, 2023, 11:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,964
Gold Stars: 82
Results business if we keep losing performing poorly his job should be under scrutiny , for me wait until Xmas and then see where we are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
ginnywings
September 30, 2023, 11:29am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Social media meltdown incoming.

Folk sharpening their metaphoric pencils and pitchforks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
DB
September 30, 2023, 11:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from grimsby pete
If as expected we lose today can we all stop the hate that goes on after each defeat.

Does anybody really think Hurst is in a job for life and does not care if we win ,draw or lose. ?

After today we have a couple of games we can win so that will make it 16 points from 12 games a fair start seeing how many of the better teams we have played.

We always have good periods as well as bad so let's get behind the players and Hurst when they need us not just when we are winning.

You could tell from his body language at his Crawley post interview, also the comments he made in his pre swindon match. But as others say it's a points business.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Dodorondon
September 30, 2023, 11:43am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
It is often said by certain posters that everybody has the right to their opinion and criticism is acceptable. But sheer vitriol is not. Such and such was shite….. no, he was poor, out of form, out of touch,whatever. I used to love the old Grimsby Telegraph way of saying a player had a bad match… he wasn’t mentioned!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
pontoonlew
September 30, 2023, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
Gold Stars: 177
Think it’s important to remember the fixtures do seem to let up slightly after today & this game can’t really be used as a measure of if Hurst is in trouble or not.

However, lose this and a couple of our games in October then some very tough conversations will surely have to be had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
September 30, 2023, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
If we win we will all be ecstatic includingthe manager. A game of ups and downs is football.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
grimsby pete
September 30, 2023, 12:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Agree discussions should be had after every game but just a few go over the top with their comments.

Just thinking a moment before you press the enter button and thinking would I like it if they said it against me.

There are not many players in the game that don't care what the score is so to say he was just not interested and did not try is unfair.

If that was the case Hurst would have subbed him and not let him let the side down for minute longer than he had to.

Even though we had not reached the 70 minute.  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Kris2
September 30, 2023, 12:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
I'm sure nobody feels the pressure more than the players and the manager when we lose a couple of games in a row, especially losing at home after taking the lead is rough. It's the point where real character is shown to turn around a couple of losses and get a performance. Everybody knows that away to Swindon is a tough game but it's not like they go to the game not wanting to win.

I still think it's early days and we are a million miles from a crisis point, we'll know during the tough Christmas period where we stand and if things have taken a plunge by then I'm sure questions will be asked, but until then the manager and the team deserves our backing. It's not really a phenomenon unique to our fans, football fans in general can be quite bipolar with overreacting positively or negatively depending on the result that week.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
It Bites
September 30, 2023, 12:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,227
Gold Stars: 265
Much like the Wrexham game I’ve tossed this one already . I’d be made up with a draw though 🙏
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
fishcake63
September 30, 2023, 1:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
would love a draw but expecting a defeat but it's a funny old game saint
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
GrimPol
September 30, 2023, 2:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -681
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from grimsby pete

What inevitably stops a team from making (in our case) the Top 7, or being relegated,  are not the tough games where you would snatch hands off if offered a draw, but dropping points on the easier ones which should give you 3 points and good goal difference. This is not the big hill that PH dies on today, but he has been wounded on far far smaller ones. Most Mariner fans would be happy losing by one goal, and not take a thumping today.
I personally think we will get some kind of result today, but I fear the future isn't bright if we do not change something. I'm just hoping I'm wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
GrimPol
September 30, 2023, 2:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Social media meltdown incoming.

Folk sharpening their metaphoric pencils and pitchforks.

Or fitting ever larger blinkers, fitting ear muffs and piling more sand on their heads.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
It Bites
September 30, 2023, 2:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,227
Gold Stars: 265
Just seen the team . My lack of optimism has been justified
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
ginnywings
September 30, 2023, 2:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from It Bites
Just seen the team . My lack of optimism has been justified

Why?

Looks quite attacking to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
GrimPol
September 30, 2023, 2:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Why?

Looks quite attacking to me.

It does actually, he's going for it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
denni266
September 30, 2023, 2:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Think its the best he can put out at the minute  . But most of the problems come from how he sets them up and wants everyone to be a defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Tommy
September 30, 2023, 2:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,867
Gold Stars: 76
Relieved he's stuck with 433 instead or going with a defensive and cautious 541 (or similar). Wouldn't say its especially attacking though, in that it's just our normal system that we've used this season. And like with any system, your approach and how you play the system will dictate how attacking/defensive it is.

Very weird to have Efete at left back with 2 left backs on the bench though (assuming that's what it is). Bit of a wasted space on the bench really.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
HatTrickHero
September 30, 2023, 2:50pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Tommy
Relieved he's stuck with 433 instead or going with a defensive and cautious 541 (or similar). Wouldn't say its especially attacking though, in that it's just our normal system that we've used this season. And like with any system, your approach and how you play the system will dictate how attacking/defensive it is.

Very weird to have Efete at left back with 2 left backs on the bench though (assuming that's what it is). Bit of a wasted space on the bench really.

Any chance that Harry might go wide and double up for Efetes forward runs? I like Michele's endeavour but always nervy with his recovery positioning, but more attack minded than going with Amos I guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Limerick Mariner
September 30, 2023, 2:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Tommy

Efete is more an attacking threat, and as neither of the two left backs have defended well this season we maybe as well have the extra height.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Azimuth
September 30, 2023, 5:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from GrimPol

Or fitting ever larger blinkers, fitting ear muffs and piling more sand on their heads.

Whilst sitting in the corner grinning inanely happily clapping away at only losing by one goal!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
The Caterham Mariner
September 30, 2023, 9:21pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
All said and done
For me "Town" looked like a killer team pushing for an equaliser after a 3 men Sub!!!
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Zmariner
October 1, 2023, 5:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
The results this season have been undeniably poor but my instinct is that we are not far off. Maybe Wilson will be the catalyst.
I have been away a lot for the start of the season and missed more home games than I have missed in the last 3 seasons. Only seen the Salford and Gillingham games but I am now back in.
Keep the faith with Hurst , he will sort this out and I am still very optimistic for a season where we are around the playoffs, A lot of the recent games have been fine margins and it will turn.
Utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › After Today's Game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.