3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
thefish
September 30, 2023, 10:07am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
This week, on the 'View From The Findus' podcast, we have started to build our ultimate 21st century 'Grimsby Town eleven'.

To start, we have scrutinised ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ of the men with the gloves!

Eventually, we narrowed it down to three fabulous 'number ones': Mildenhall (great keeper in a nearly outstanding season); McKeown (most appearances in the last 23 years and a big part of our promotion in 2016); and Coyne (do I even need to add anything?).

Honourable mentions went to Crocombe, Henderson (Dean) and of course Mr Forecast!

Feel free to add your vote at this link:
Tweet 1707997900955853299 will appear here...

I am less confident on that one.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tommy
September 30, 2023, 2:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Can't look past Coyne for me.

I'd have Wayne Henderson in there above Dean Henderson as honorable mentions. Dean might have gone on to be better but the impact Wayne had in helping us avoid relegation that season was much greater.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
Swansea_Mariner
September 30, 2023, 3:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,452
Gold Stars: 63
Nobody comes close to Coyne do they total class.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Manchester Mariner
September 30, 2023, 3:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I'll always be fond of Steve Sherwood for his time between the sticks in Sir Alan's first couple of years in charge. 183 appearances, 2 promotions and a couple of cup runs speaks for itself.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
ginnywings
September 30, 2023, 4:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,138
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I'll always be fond of Steve Sherwood for his time between the sticks in Sir Alan's first couple of years in charge. 183 appearances, 2 promotions and a couple of cup runs speaks for itself.

Not 21st century though.

Coyne for me, with Mildenhall mentioned in dispatches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
Manchester Mariner
September 30, 2023, 4:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

Not 21st century though.

Coyne for me, with Mildenhall mentioned in dispatches.

Missed that part. Schoolboy error.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
promotion plaice
September 30, 2023, 4:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 198

Also not 21st century but Batch was a hell of a keeper.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
diehardmariner
September 30, 2023, 5:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,622
Gold Stars: 539
Coyne was incredible, he even got his initial wobbly spell out the way in the 20th century spell for us.

QPR away, smash and grab 1-0 win. Don't think I've ever seen a 'keeper busier or more unbeatable.

But in a weird way, Mildenhall was more enjoyable to watch as he just commanded everything so well. Coyne was a top drawer shot stopper but he was suspect on crosses, Mildenhall just more of an all rounder.

For the respective levels, Mildenhall probably had better defences in front of him. Coyne was the back end of our time punching above our weight with the Handyside and Lever dominated spells replaced by the Chettle's and Raven's of the era.

Anthony Williams, no?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
sonofmadeleymariner
September 30, 2023, 5:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,449
Gold Stars: 37
Mildenhall for me, but only because I don't really have memories of Coyne (his last season was my first and I only probably went to 3 or 4 games that year).

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
louth_in_the_south
September 30, 2023, 5:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,682
Gold Stars: 96
Easily Coyne . One of the reasons we had long spells in the championship. A few vital saves earn enough points to save relegation.

His performance at QPR as previously mentioned when we probably should’ve lost 6-1 instead of winning 1-0 thanks to at least 6 world class saves is one I’ll be proud of saying I was there that day

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
The Caterham Mariner
September 30, 2023, 10:01pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +86
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

Also not 21st century but Batch was a hell of a keeper.

Yes my schoolboy / early teens goalkeeper hero
UTM.

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
Poojah
October 1, 2023, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,550
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Easily Coyne . One of the reasons we had long spells in the championship. A few vital saves earn enough points to save relegation.

His performance at QPR as previously mentioned when we probably should’ve lost 6-1 instead of winning 1-0 thanks to at least 6 world class saves is one I’ll be proud of saying I was there that day

Legendary goalkeeping performance. The one at Preston was special too.

Tweet 1679016135478370304 will appear here...

Tweet 1605904401658310656 will appear here...

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Davec
October 1, 2023, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 42
Danny Coyne was outstanding, I think the only poor season he bad was the relegation season (his final season) but then in fairness that was a very tough season for us all so we can't blame him for that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
October 1, 2023, 11:48am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
1. Danny Coyne
2 Aidan Davidson
3 Steve Sherwood
4 Nigel Batch
5 Dave Beasant ( best loan keeper ever)

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
devs
October 1, 2023, 12:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Can't argue with Coyne
Thought Davidson was top drawer as well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Maringer
October 1, 2023, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Davison, not Davidson.

He was a fine keeper. One of those, like Mildenhall, who never seemed to be too busy because they were so competent in all areas of the game. Coyne was a remarkable shot-stopper but it was a case that he was welded to the line when crosses/set pieces came into the box. Some of his saves came about when an effort came in where a different keeper would have snuffed out the chance by coming to collect or punch a cross. He wasn't the biggest of keepers so wasn't as comfortable with crosses as the likes of Davison, Mildenhall, Crocombe, etc.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
ancientmariner54
October 1, 2023, 3:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from thefish
This week, on the 'View From The Findus' podcast, we have started to build our ultimate 21st century 'Grimsby Town eleven'.

To start, we have scrutinised ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ of the men with the gloves!

Eventually, we narrowed it down to three fabulous 'number ones': Mildenhall (great keeper in a nearly outstanding season); McKeown (most appearances in the last 23 years and a big part of our promotion in 2016); and Coyne (do I even need to add anything?).

Honourable mentions went to Crocombe, Henderson (Dean) and of course Mr Forecast!

Feel free to add your vote at this link:
Tweet 1707997900955853299 will appear here...

I am less confident on that one.

UTM

I know he's not in the time frame but Sir NIGEL BATCH for me
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
diehardmariner
October 2, 2023, 9:35am
Vodka Drinker
Davison in his first spell is the best non-loan 'keeper I've seen in a Town shirt.

In sticking with the 21st century thread opener, his second spell (in that period) was woeful though and to some extent blotted his copy book a little.

Dipping back into the 90's, completely agree with Dave Gilbert's Left Peg regards Dave Beasant.  30 years on and I'm still convinced that had, by some miracle, we managed to hold onto him for the season we would have spent the next season as a Premier League side.

That month spell was peak-Buckley.  We had maintained the clever and neat football that got us back-to-back promotions but we had also added/developed genuine quality players with the likes of Groves, Mendonca, Handyside, Croft et al.  Beasant in goal took us to that next level.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Kris2
October 2, 2023, 1:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Davec
Danny Coyne was outstanding, I think the only poor season he bad was the relegation season (his final season) but then in fairness that was a very tough season for us all so we can't blame him for that

The defence was a mess that season in general, started out with the terrible Paul Raven, who was replaced by the very much past it Steve Chettle, who got injured and then our central defence consisted of two midfielders turned into defenders in Santos and a very much past his prime Groves partnering Ford who was a bright spark. John McDermott was solid and Gallimore was very much beloved but balls deep into probably alcoholism at that point so his performances suffered. It's a season full of chopping and changing, bringing in mercenaries on loans/short term deals and a lack of consistency which is always a recipe for a bad season. We had our best spell incidentally when Kabba came in on loan and looked a world beater but he had no interest in spending the whole season with us and it went downhill from there. A rotating door of players plus the fact Groves reportedly didn't have the respect of the dressing room meaning he couldn't turn it around put the final nail in the coffin on his GTFC career.

The following season had much of the same problems, the fact we lost Coyne for free like many of our saleable assets always made me mad. I don't even recall him being out of contract, I think he was allowed to go for free because we couldn't or refused to pay him what we had been.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
diehardmariner
October 2, 2023, 1:17pm
Vodka Drinker
John Oster that season too, Kris, as a bright spot.  Crying shame that we only got a single game of him and Kabba together.  

That season was such an odd one.  We were poor when it came to quality but for all the chopping and changing there did seem to be a real battling spirit.

On paper, across the whole of the season, I think there was enough quality to have stayed up. But the quality was spread out over the course of the season and our budget definitely reflected the injuries or stage of their career that those quality players had.   Coyne, McDermott, Barnard, Santos, Oster, Cooke, Kabba, Boulding, Pouton, Coldicott, Campbell even Michael Keane and Richard Hughes were decent players for that level.  Robert Taylor too, who was quality, but just couldn't get and stay fit.  Jevons was farmed out early on in the season to save money/punish him.  There's the vast bulk of a very decent Championship XI there.

Was a real shame to see how that Groves team from the back end of 01/02 wasn't kept together.  I know realistically we would never have kept Andy Todd but for the likes of Boulding, Allen, Butterfield to go and not be replaced was a big blow.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
Maringer
October 2, 2023, 1:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Richard Hughes was an odd one as I remember him looking OK for us, but nothing more, so I was amazed when he went on to play regularly in Portsmouth's Premier League side at the time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
diehardmariner
October 2, 2023, 2:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Yeah same, I thought he was just ok.  A Steady Eddie type, but clearly had something more about him to go onto a very decent career with Portsmouth.  I think the bulk of his spell here might have coincided a bit with when the bottom fell out a for us.  Once John Oster's second loan spell ended, we only picked up 2 points from our final 9 games.  Hughes scoring only one of the four goals in that spell as well.

Put it this way, he was better than Chris Bolder.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
Maringer
October 2, 2023, 2:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Whereas Michael Keane seemed to be a complete psycho who was likely to get sent off at any minute, possibly headbutting the referee before heading down the tunnel.

I always have massive regret about the way Groves left the club, but I suppose his subsequent record proved that he wasn't really up to the task as a manager. Such a fantastic player for us, however.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
diehardmariner
October 2, 2023, 5:06pm
Vodka Drinker
By all accounts an excellent coach though.

His record isn't great, no two ways of looking at it.  Even with the Great Escape here we were quite poor at first under him and then the following 20 months after it wasn't great.  02/03 as a season was a bit of a free hit really.  We didn't have a pot to urine in and were always heading down.

Season after we should have done better.  He seemed to put together a decent squad that just never clicked.  I always felt he became a bit obsessed with needing to sign a 'big man' and just brought in a wave of journeymen No 9's who were completely ineffective, it took until Graham Rodger took over and brought Lee Thorpe in who gave us what we had lacked.  Just a big, unselfish and powerful striker.  Not perfect but worked well with those around him.  

Still feel that dressing room let him down though.  They were the ones putting in the excrement and half-arsed displays.  But part of management is getting the best out of players.  

At Bournemouth his side that started the season only picks up 8 points from the first 11 games before he's sacked, they then go onto drop just 24 points for the rest of the season under Eddie Howe (missing out on the League One title by a single point).  Howe did bring back Brett Pittman who wasn't far off a goal a game but the core of the squad was one Howe inherited, again though you've got to get the best out of players.

Ultimately I don't he wasn't right for management.  But his credit as a player more than bails his reputation out and I think most accept that the task at hand was nearly impossible.  The circling of the drain had started.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Goalkeepers and Clean Sheets

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.