4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
September 24, 2023, 7:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Is it right that youth players can't sign a professional contract until they are 18, but they can be poached by the big clubs for next to nothing?
If Grayson Giles carries on the way he's going, we will lose him to a big club for next to nothing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
diehardmariner
September 24, 2023, 9:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Essentially yes.

For Giles we would be entitled to some compensation based on the development time with us, which at present is sod all.

The best hope is if you can get a bidding war going, which is what happened with Grist when he went to Leicester. To secure his signature and get a direct route to him, I'm told they paid far more than perhaps would have needed to.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
HerveJosse
September 24, 2023, 10:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Drinkell, Wilkinson and Lund were all in the first team at 18. If he’s good enough get him in there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
Madeleymariner
September 25, 2023, 12:52am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,058
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from HerveJosse
Drinkell, Wilkinson and Lund were all in the first team at 18. If he’s good enough get him in there

Can't be a worse striker than Pyke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
RichMariner
September 25, 2023, 1:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I know his time isn't looked upon too fondly, mainly because we never really got going (and it was in the Fenty era) but Michael Jolley did a lot for our younger players at that time.

He not only played Clifton but gave him a two or three-year deal (can't remember which it was); he gave Akheem Rose his chance (when he was eligible/fit); he played Max Wright and also brought Mattie Pollock into the first team, then gave him a 2.5 year deal.

I think that was part of his remit - to develop our younger players, and I think he did it as well as any other manager in our recent history.

Hurst tends to get youngsters on the cusp of the first team, then ultimately releases them. The last decent striker to come through our ranks was Dayle Southwell. He even scored a hat-trick for us in a cup game, but still that wasn't enough to keep him on.

These days, anyone with real potential gets snapped up before they ever make an appearance for us, so the ones that do make it are somewhere in the middle — not outrageous talents, but better than average.

You hope that a bit of first team exposure helps kick their development along so they become an outrageous talent that we can ultimately sell for a big profit.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
diehardmariner
September 25, 2023, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Fair point on Jolley.  I can't imagine it was easy to appease Fenty with that development line when the constant demand was for success (on a shoestring too).

Common denominator in all our youth development in the last 20 years is Neil Woods and his team.  Even in points of time when we had no funding, we somehow managed to continue to produce.  The likes of Clifton, Wright, Pollock (albeit from a later stage) all had their development at a point when our central youth funding was non-existent.  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
jamesgtfc
September 25, 2023, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,963
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
I know his time isn't looked upon too fondly, mainly because we never really got going (and it was in the Fenty era) but Michael Jolley did a lot for our younger players at that time.

He not only played Clifton but gave him a two or three-year deal (can't remember which it was); he gave Akheem Rose his chance (when he was eligible/fit); he played Max Wright and also brought Mattie Pollock into the first team, then gave him a 2.5 year deal.

I think that was part of his remit - to develop our younger players, and I think he did it as well as any other manager in our recent history.

Hurst tends to get youngsters on the cusp of the first team, then ultimately releases them. The last decent striker to come through our ranks was Dayle Southwell. He even scored a hat-trick for us in a cup game, but still that wasn't enough to keep him on.

These days, anyone with real potential gets snapped up before they ever make an appearance for us, so the ones that do make it are somewhere in the middle — not outrageous talents, but better than average.

You hope that a bit of first team exposure helps kick their development along so they become an outrageous talent that we can ultimately sell for a big profit.

I have said this numerous times over the years, but Slade threw Harry Clifton on when we were dead and buried against Yeovil I believe. He didn't really get a proper chance until Jolley came in and really grabbed it by the horns in those final 10 games of the season that saw us survive relegation and then a JJ Hooper hat-trick in the final game when we had nothing to play for.

I am certain that Harry Clifton would have been released if Slade was still manager at the end of that campaign, and probably drifted down the leagues. By the time Hurst came back, Clifton was a well established first team player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
ska face
September 25, 2023, 5:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Joe Starbuck picked up by Tranmere today on a short term deal.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
Limerick Mariner
September 25, 2023, 5:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Can't be a worse striker than Pyke

Who knows, Gardner may be the reason we haven’t signed another striker on a 3 year deal. And Pyke may be seen as a utility stop-gap with the club expecting Gardner to make the step-up soon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
bedders78
September 25, 2023, 9:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from RichMariner

Also Rumarn Burrell who has't really kicked on since leaving us, but still only 22

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Gardner signs 3 year contract

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.