3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
fishcake63
September 17, 2023, 7:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
i think what people are saying or seeing is last season 11th place finish so to progress we have to finish top 10 ish if not play offs , anything lower & some will get knickers in a twist , i get both sides in a way but what i will say is this to finish top 7 will take a mighty effort with wrexham notts stockport mansfield  swindon gills almost certain to in amongst it , i know gills looked terrible but they won 6 matches already
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
lukeo
September 17, 2023, 7:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from fishcake63
i think what people are saying or seeing is last season 11th place finish so to progress we have to finish top 10 ish if not play offs , anything lower & some will get knickers in a twist , i get both sides in a way but what i will say is this to finish top 7 will take a mighty effort with wrexham notts stockport mansfield  swindon gills almost certain to in amongst it , i know gills looked terrible but they won 6 matches already

I can't remember what points we finished on but I have a question. If we finished on 50 points last season and 12th position..
would you see finishing 13th but on 57 points progress?
Would you see finishing 10th on 46 points as progress?

For me progress will be to finish on a higher amount of points than last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
Theimperialcoroner
September 17, 2023, 8:28am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
I’m hoping/expecting 4 points from the next two games, that would take us to an average of 1.4 a game, over the season that’s enough for an upper mid table finish. We need to be averaging 1.6 points per game for a play off place. I’d say we look capable of doing that. I suggested an up and down start before and then some growing consistency from about November onwards, I’ve seen nothing to suggest that is still not a valid view.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
Hagrid
September 17, 2023, 8:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,424
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
I’m hoping/expecting 4 points from the next two games, that would take us to an average of 1.4 a game, over the season that’s enough for an upper mid table finish. We need to be averaging 1.6 points per game for a play off place. I’d say we look capable of doing that. I suggested an up and down start before and then some growing consistency from about November onwards, I’ve seen nothing to suggest that is still not a valid view.

I’d think again. Swindon are flying and scoring and are very strong at home. Crawley 6th in the table, But i expect us to pick up 3 points against them, make no 2 ways about it, we have had a very very difficult start
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
DB
September 17, 2023, 11:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
As most know on here I'm an optimist and expect a win every game, although I know it won't happen. When the new owners took over they had a plan which more than likely was to stabilise the club and make a promotion push after the 1st year.

This didn't happen as we were promoted so plan A had to be scrapped. We needed to establish ourselves as a good League 2 side and the cup run last year certainly helped, but are normally one off occasion at our level. I believe from what I read that PH had 2 players coming in at the end of the transfer window, who at the last minute went elsewhere.

So we are where we are and as stated above are playing decent football at times, both home and away. I bet every FGR, Donny and Bradford ( only drew with Harrogate ) Fan would like to be in our position, given our resources.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
RichMariner
September 17, 2023, 1:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
The reality is that we need to spend that FA Cup money just to continue competing as a mid-table L2 side since L2 undoubtedly strengthened over the summer with both Wrexham and Notts Co coming up, and teams like Gillingham also able to splash some cash along side MK Dons.

L2 is far more competitive this season. Bradford and Stockport are yet to kick into gear, but I imagine they'll be up there too. Sadly, our FA Cup money isn't a guarantee to get us in the top 7 but it should make us competitive.

What you can't legislate for is the computer giving us a relatively tough start, or injuries.

No doubt PH recognises the areas we need to improve in. We're always fighting against the tide but what's good is that there's been investment in the non-playing side and that will, over time, support the on-field stuff. It's the foundation this club has been craving for after it fell into disrepair.

So even if we're not able to make great strides on the pitch, we're making progress in other areas. Of course, it's not enough and not fast enough for many, but it's not like football is awash with patient fans!

I don't think there's any cause for alarm. Absolutely right to have discussions and keep asking questions, but remember to keep it fair and balanced.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
Yoda
September 17, 2023, 2:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,152
Gold Stars: 71
i think we are a solid mid table team no more no less.
We struggle to attract players let’s be honest so we should invest massively in the youth set up and maybe partner with a championship club lower league prem team.
Leeds Sheffield United / Wednesday Hull Norwich or Ipswich
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Swansea_Mariner
September 17, 2023, 2:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,456
Gold Stars: 63
Its far too early to call this season either way and given the run of teams we've faced to start off i think it'll take at least until xmas before we really know where we are headed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
lukeo
September 17, 2023, 3:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

We might only win 3 of the first 10 games but win 8 of the following 10..
I do agree though we must be looking to win next weekend. Anything at Swindon will be a big bonus, especially after last season having to watch us get destroyed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
Ash brown
September 19, 2023, 8:27am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +22
Personally I don't think you can gauge league position or points gained each season as each season is wildly different, it's always nice to finish on more points but this season the league overall seems stronger so far. This team is definitely playing better football and with most options fit I think we should become more of an attacking threat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › P8 W2 D4 L2 F9 A9

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.