aldi_01
September 6, 2023, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
There’s no sponsor so probably no prize money for competing so we should be refusing to play it . The whole competition is a farce since the EFL bent over for the PL teams .

Remember when Fenty voted in favour of it and then criticised the response from fans…then Day let slip that they knew it was a excrement idea as did the EFL so insurance was offered to the clubs to negate the losses made from non attendance…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 10:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
There’s no sponsor so probably no prize money for competing so we should be refusing to play it . The whole competition is a farce since the EFL bent over for the PL teams .

In the absence of a sponsor, I do wonder how long the EFL can keep propping this competition up. Prize money is:

£20k for everyone across the board - £960,000 (presuming the 16 invited clubs don't get this)
£10k for every group win - £480,000 (48 games across group stages)
£20k for first knockout round win - £320,000
£40k for second knockout round win - £320,000
£50k for quarter final win - £200,000
£50k for semi-final win - £100,000
£100k for final win - £100,000

Just shy of £2.5million in prize money alone.  There's no way the TV revenue from Sky picking up two semi-finals and the final is covering that alone.  
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Sigone
September 6, 2023, 10:41am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
The competition doesn't really need sponsorship, the Premier league financially backs it..under its old format the competition was dying, no sponsorship no league funding and very little crowds(especially in the early rounds)..think the whole thing should be scrapped..personally I wouldn't object to a proper reserve league that included under 21 teams from the prem..we used to have that pretty much back in the day anyway.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 10:59am
Vodka Drinker
I thought backing was a three-way thing between EFL (via sponsorship), Premier League and the FA?  Somehow the sponsorship from Papa Johns was worth £1million a season (great negotiating from the EFL Team, less so from the Papa Johns team).  That's a big gap in the finances.

Completely agree on the reserve league.  Pontins League was a great competition.  Genuinely competitive with a good mixture of young talent and fringe players/those returning from injury.  For me that was the natural bridge between youth and first team football that hasn't been replicated since it's demise.

Hurst answered a question about it at the last fans forum, his response was along the lines that the format is dead in the water.  No-one took it seriously and it just became an extended fixture list for youth sides. As soon as one side decides to field mainly kids in it, the value of the games decrease for everyone else so they all follow suit.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
SteffiMariner
September 6, 2023, 11:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner

In the absence of a sponsor, I do wonder how long the EFL can keep propping this competition up.

Just shy of £2.5million in prize money alone.  There's no way the TV revenue from Sky picking up two semi-finals and the final is covering that alone.  

Well, they have £10M in reserves and made over £1M last year, so they could fund it for at least 5 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 6, 2023, 11:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178

And some would say that they got backhanders of cash holidays and free tickets but I don’t reckon that would ever happen in football

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
diehardmariner
September 6, 2023, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from SteffiMariner

Well, they have £10M in reserves and made over £1M last year, so they could fund it for at least 5 years.

Fair point, that £1mill profit is likely to be jaff all this year though if they're picking up the shortfall of no sponsor.  

Be interesting to see if the FA and Premier League are happy to pick up the bill for the lack of a sponsor, or the FL just eat into their reserve for it.  Or, a more likely scenario I suspect, the prize money is significantly reduced in the near future.  There seems to be a bit more seriousness taken for this competition by a fair few sides, which is understandable with the prize money at stake.  Can't see that continuing if the financial value is removed though.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
moosey_club
September 6, 2023, 6:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,269
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from diehardmariner

Fair point, that £1mill profit is likely to be jaff all this year though if they're picking up the shortfall of no sponsor.  

Be interesting to see if the FA and Premier League are happy to pick up the bill for the lack of a sponsor, or the FL just eat into their reserve for it.  Or, a more likely scenario I suspect, the prize money is significantly reduced in the near future.  There seems to be a bit more seriousness taken for this competition by a fair few sides, which is understandable with the prize money at stake.  Can't see that continuing if the financial value is removed though.

Was gutted when I saw a group of Town fans waiting for a bus yesterday afternoon.....also there were over a couple of thousand at the game which seems higher than the previous norms for this stage. I hope the public aren't losing sight of the long term implications

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
diehardmariner
September 7, 2023, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Yeah, without looking at the numbers it definitely seems that there's more attendance at these games.  Although I'm still not sure the numbers are there (for the majority) for it to be financially viable alone.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Papa Johns

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.