Southwark Mariner
September 1, 2023, 11:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 83
Quoted from thornemariner
I went to Donny v Everton. Only a tenner for 60+ seniors.

Amazing value!!! Less than 17p each! Must be some sort of deal to remind them of the old days
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Hagrid
September 1, 2023, 11:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,421
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from diehardmariner

Which isn't the worst shout in the world.  

Hurst went onto bring Julian Lamy, Joe Adams and Idris El Mizouni in to play in wide positions.  El Mizouni was a curious one as he's looked excellent since going elsewhere. Lamy has gone onto play in the Cyrpiot league, not even in their top flight but the second tier.  Adams went to play for Dundalk in the Irish League and then 10 games for Southport in the Conf. North before getting released.

Tilley made 83 appearances with 11 goals for Crawley and is currently on a return of 4 from 5 at AFC Wimbledon.  I'm not saying he's a world beater, but I think he's gone onto be consistently better than pretty much every winger we've brought in the two-and-a-half years since he's left.

but he was lightweight and ineffective for us, and no one can deny that.

El Mizouni got injured after 1 game didnt he, clearly a decent player
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
ex-merseymariner
September 1, 2023, 11:45am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Hagrid

El Mizouni got injured after 1 game didnt he, clearly a decent player

El mizouni made the pfa league 2 team of the season for orient last year too

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
diehardmariner
September 1, 2023, 1:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Hagrid

Well I can deny it, quite easily.  It's an opinion.  

Considering he came here as a young prospect, fresh off loan spells and Academy football, I thought he looked decent enough despite getting limited opportunities.  3 starts and a handful of sub appearances.  Don't agree on the lightweight bit to be honest, in the last game of that season he came on as emergency full-back away at Scunny when Glennon got wiped out.  Isn't the biggest lad but he was straight into some meaty challenges.  You generally don't get many wingers/attacking mids who are what you would call bruisers do you?

Season after he scores 2 in his first 3 starts, gets a further two starts before he's on the bench and then out the picture (might have been injured).  After that it was cameo appearances from the bench until he gets a final start in Hurst's first game, hooked at half-time and then off he goes.

In and out the side over a 12 month period, the vast majority of it was farcical under a clown.  Can't really think of anyone who made an impact in the second half of that time-frame.  When he got his chance I thought he did ok, again not a world beater but not ineffective.

As said with El Mizouni, a curious one to say the least.  6 games here, starting all of them with only the last one when he didn't last the full game. He just looked completely lost, came here with a decent billing and Cambridge fans seemed to think he had something about him. Full year between his spell here and going to Orient, which is a lot at his age and for his experience at that time. Also seem to think at Orient he sat/sits deep at the base of midfield just pulling the strings.  Maybe he just wasn't ready or we played him in the wrong position.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Maringer
September 1, 2023, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,528
Gold Stars: 185
Tilley was a skinny powder-puff sort of a player during his time for us, with some trickery, but who could be knocked off the ball with a hard stare. I thought he looked pretty decent against us at the start of the season, a very much different player. Bulked up a bit and a lot stronger which is perhaps what you'd expect for someone who is a few years older.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
toontown
September 1, 2023, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner

Well I can deny it, quite easily.  It's an opinion.  

Considering he came here as a young prospect, fresh off loan spells and Academy football, I thought he looked decent enough despite getting limited opportunities.  3 starts and a handful of sub appearances.  Don't agree on the lightweight bit to be honest, in the last game of that season he came on as emergency full-back away at Scunny when Glennon got wiped out.  Isn't the biggest lad but he was straight into some meaty challenges.  You generally don't get many wingers/attacking mids who are what you would call bruisers do you?

Season after he scores 2 in his first 3 starts, gets a further two starts before he's on the bench and then out the picture (might have been injured).  After that it was cameo appearances from the bench until he gets a final start in Hurst's first game, hooked at half-time and then off he goes.

In and out the side over a 12 month period, the vast majority of it was farcical under a clown.  Can't really think of anyone who made an impact in the second half of that time-frame.  When he got his chance I thought he did ok, again not a world beater but not ineffective.

As said with El Mizouni, a curious one to say the least.  6 games here, starting all of them with only the last one when he didn't last the full game. He just looked completely lost, came here with a decent billing and Cambridge fans seemed to think he had something about him. Full year between his spell here and going to Orient, which is a lot at his age and for his experience at that time. Also seem to think at Orient he sat/sits deep at the base of midfield just pulling the strings.  Maybe he just wasn't ready or we played him in the wrong position.

I'd put money on him being smaller and weaker than the average winger in LG 2 when he was with us, he was so easily outmuscled and knocked off the ball. Didn't rate him then at all. Nor did Hurst clearly.

Might well be different now tbf.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.