Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 2,608 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
August 26, 2023, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Only a short drive back into Stoke for me, fortunately.

All I'll say is another 90 minutes proving my point after Mansfield, 1st half sat deep playing Hurst ball, could have been 4 nil down in the first 10 minutes and made Walsall look like world beaters and made ourselves look like a make-a-wish team reduced to making hopeless hoof balls into the flanks.

2nd half we pressed, harried, harassed and wouldn't you know it Walsall started playing like excrement because we didn't just let them control how they were going to play. Eisa got another wondergoal as soon as it left his foot you knew it was in and was so close with the freekick and they scored against the run of play when we switched off for a moment.

If we played like that for 90 minutes we might have won today. I am worried what will happen when these wonder goals dry up as we still seem to be lacking creativity going forwards.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Madeleymariner
August 26, 2023, 6:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
Terrible first half no threat with ponderous slow passing and Lucky not to be 3 down at halftime 2nd half we were the better team played some nice slick football with midfiders making great runs and forcing Walsall to punt under pressure Eisas goal another worldie and unlucky not to get a second. Weakest player seems to be Vernam otherwise 2nd half couldn't ask for more from any of them MOM between Hollohan Eisa and Eastwood
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
chipsandgravy
August 26, 2023, 7:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,611
Only a short drive back into Stoke for me, fortunately.

All I'll say is another 90 minutes proving my point after Mansfield, 1st half sat deep playing Hurst ball, could have been 4 nil down in the first 10 minutes and made Walsall look like world beaters and made ourselves look like a make-a-wish team reduced to making hopeless hoof balls into the flanks.

2nd half we pressed, harried, harassed and wouldn't you know it Walsall started playing like excrement because we didn't just let them control how they were going to play. Eisa got another wondergoal as soon as it left his foot you knew it was in and was so close with the freekick and they scored against the run of play when we switched off for a moment.

If we played like that for 90 minutes we might have won today. I am worried what will happen when these wonder goals dry up as we still seem to be lacking creativity going forwards.

Aaaah Hurstball. I do so miss the days of Hollowayball or Jolleyball oh and dont forget Sladeball. Credit to Hurst for getting into them for the secondhalf and getting them playing at a higher tempo with midfielders breaking into the box. Thats the sort of performance i expected this team to be capable of this season.  First half i agree was woeful - just wished we could have hung on to properly celebrate Eisa's contribution. Overall though fair result. Looking forward to adding Khan and Wilson to the squad when fit.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
barralad
August 26, 2023, 7:40pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
The main problem in the first half was the failure to keep the ball. Rodgers and Mullarkey were sound defensively but both guilty of poor distribution meaning we were put back under pressure far too often. I'm not a fan of this slow build up but I'm damn sure Hurst wouldn't have sanctioned that poor distribution.
People can say we were "lucky" not to be three down at half time but the main reason we weren't was Eastwood who made several excellent saves. For me the lad is a big upgrade on Crocombe.
The second half saw less mistakes and more sensible distribution. Our goal really knocked Walsall who stopped getting the ball out wide-relieving the pressure on both full backs. If Eisa's second effort had been 6 inches lower it would have been game over. Instead, and much against the run of play, they got back in it with a draw being about right over 90 minutes.
A word about the referee. The memo about time wasting obviously hasnt reached him and their lad who was eventually sent off could/should have gone 20 minutes earlier.
MOM between Eisa (who frightened Walsall every time he got the ball) and Eastwood.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
moosey_club
August 26, 2023, 7:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,250
Gold Stars: 226
Echoing the previous to a degree but first half we looked like 11 players who had just met in the car park...Hursts tweaked formation really didn't work/ was misunderstood as we virtually had 5 up front but kept playing the ball around the back. When Eastwood had the ball Clifton and Holohan were pushed up with Rose and CV and Eisa wide..the back four then just passed back and forth between themselves and the lone Conteh...really wasted a full 45 mins by not getting it up quicker.
Second half different story but with same set up, chalk and cheese.
As others have said though one worldie,  one off the bar but not many other good chances despite the dominance, one good cross all game where Mullarkey picked out Rose.

A good standard of a purple patch for 30 mins but that form isn't good  enough to win many games,  quite fortunate today to not concede a couple early doors as well.
At least Matt didn't clinch a late winner for them.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
arryarryarry
August 26, 2023, 8:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Aaaah Hurstball. I do so miss the days of Hollowayball or Jolleyball oh and dont forget Sladeball. Credit to Hurst for getting into them for the secondhalf and getting them playing at a higher tempo with midfielders breaking into the box. Thats the sort of performance i expected this team to be capable of this season.  First half i agree was woeful - just wished we could have hung on to properly celebrate Eisa's contribution. Overall though fair result. Looking forward to adding Khan and Wilson to the squad when fit.

Why "credit to Hurst" why wait till the second half?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
chipsandgravy
August 26, 2023, 8:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,611
Quoted from arryarryarry

Errrrr...to get them in the dressing room and address the situation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
moosey_club
August 26, 2023, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,250
Gold Stars: 226
See their manager is saying two possible penalties for them possibly changing the game....First one where Eastwood went down at the strikers feet I don't think...however the second one when he went and missed the high ball I agree could easily have been given.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
TAGG
August 26, 2023, 10:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,971
Gold Stars: 124
This was definitely points dropped.
I can't see how Hurst wants to play.
Our play seems to be made up on the fly.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
August 27, 2023, 11:20am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Because as PH said in his post match interview the players were playing too slow and needed to up the tempo.  I think it's fairly obvious that PH didn't tell them to play like that in the first half, which was made even more obvious in the 2nd half where we improved that part of our play.

Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.