Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Views From The Med!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Views From The Med!

This thread currently has 1,335 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
thefish
August 17, 2023, 8:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
So, during the previous week I’ve been sunning myself in Sunny Cyprus (it should’ve been Rhodes a couple of weeks ago… meaning I wouldn’t have missed any of the action, but that’s another story). Naturally, I’ve wanted to keep updated, so on my travels, I’ve spoken to the father-in-law and I’ve skim read some threads on here- yes I need to get a life etc!

First off, Notts County... 3-2 defeat. My father-in-law, bless his heart, promptly declared us as relegation fodder. Initially, I laughed this off, simply presuming that he’d overdone it in Message In A Bottle and was overreacting. But then I started reading some of the posts on here, and I suddenly began to wonder if he was right… genuine worry crept in!

Fast forward to the Salford clash - ‘a glorious 2-0 victory!’ Suddenly, my dear father-in-law (and this message board) had undergone a complete transformation, singing praises to the heavens about our star players Conteh, Rodgers, and… Amos?! Oh, how the tides turn! One minute, we're as doomed as a seagull chasing a chip in a hurricane, and the next, we're the hottest thing since fish and chips.

Ah, the joys of being a football fan! Still, you won’t catch me overreacting after the result on Saturday… 😉

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
August 17, 2023, 9:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,209
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from thefish
So, during the previous week I’ve been sunning myself in Sunny Cyprus (it should’ve been Rhodes a couple of weeks ago… meaning I wouldn’t have missed any of the action, but that’s another story). Naturally, I’ve wanted to keep updated, so on my travels, I’ve spoken to the father-in-law and I’ve skim read some threads on here- yes I need to get a life etc!

First off, Notts County... 3-2 defeat. My father-in-law, bless his heart, promptly declared us as relegation fodder. Initially, I laughed this off, simply presuming that he’d overdone it in Message In A Bottle and was overreacting. But then I started reading some of the posts on here, and I suddenly began to wonder if he was right… genuine worry crept in!

Fast forward to the Salford clash - ‘a glorious 2-0 victory!’ Suddenly, my dear father-in-law (and this message board) had undergone a complete transformation, singing praises to the heavens about our star players Conteh, Rodgers, and… Amos?! Oh, how the tides turn! One minute, we're as doomed as a seagull chasing a chip in a hurricane, and the next, we're the hottest thing since fish and chips.

Ah, the joys of being a football fan! Still, you won’t catch me overreacting after the result on Saturday… 😉

UTM

Lol I was in your father in laws camp Saturday too 🙄
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 7
Yossarian
August 17, 2023, 9:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,078
Gold Stars: 18
It is almost as though football fans are deeply emotionally invested in their club and are slightly prone to over reaction.

Plus ça change.....

On the flip side... at least it is our club to be over emotional about

Fwiw i agree with your post.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 7
LondonMariner43
August 17, 2023, 9:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,955
Gold Stars: 64
That’s Town fans for you and probably all football fans.

Luckily our manager is a bit more level headed than the supporters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 7
lew chaterleys lover
August 18, 2023, 8:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
So much of our reaction stems from the quality of the opposition we are playing funnily enough.

Against Wimbledon we looked ok but against an average team. Mansfield took us to the cleaners but we had loads of changes. Against Notts we tried hard but they were the better side and amongst others I was expecting a really tough game against Salford, but I thought they were the worst team we have played yet.

I suppose the point I am making is it is very difficult for fans to make an objective interpretation of how good or bad we are likely to be until the league settles down and we have seen more opposition teams.

This is why pre season friendlies are for fitness only as you cannot see how good the Mariners are until judged by competitive games in our league.

This is where the manager does have an advantage over the average fan as he will have up to date information about all the teams in our league so he can be a tad more dispassionate. Personally I go from agony to ecstacy in one game like most passionate fans.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 7
Rick12
August 18, 2023, 8:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Reminds me of players Ive known who played for pro clubs and get p***** off with some fans. One minute there crap and then the next minute there ok and then there decent .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 7
TownSNAFU5
August 18, 2023, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
PE out of For the defeat at Notts County, it was by the on only goal in five, and we were away.  They are second in the betting for promotion.  They have retained their top striker, despite interest from other clubs.

They might also be after revenge after we knocked them out of the playoffs with 2 very late goals.  They were favourites to win.

To rub salt in the wound they only had 3 home defeats that season - and we inflicted 2 of them!😇😄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 7
Barrattstander
August 18, 2023, 12:42pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
PE out of For the defeat at Notts County, it was by the on only goal in five, and we were away.

What's this gibberish, Richard.

Are you and George in 'Beer O'Clock' again on another lunchtime session ?

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Views From The Med!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.