Rick12
August 9, 2023, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

Mental health has become the new bad back.

See it and hear it all the time these days. All it does is undermine those genuinely suffering, and there’s many that are. …
I've seen numerous cases abroad where the reality of survival overrides any emotional/ mental health issue. I am in no doubt some are genuine but the need to put food on the table to provide for your children and family in many cases will override everything else. I was in Israel in 2018 and saw large groups of Palestinian men going from their  enclave to Israel controlled territory where job opportunities were better . They had to go past passport control as well on their side to get onto the Israeli side. This is something that happens all their working life. This was early on in the morning and I saw groups of these men finishing work and coming back late on from Israel back to the Palestinian enclave. Likewise in the Costa Del Sol men of all ages young and old black,Moroccan selling stuff eg pirate CDs ,cheap sunglasses, knock of clothes such as trainers and carpets all in often 35 degree  heat plus to make a pittance.This I saw often on the beaches there where they were walking up and down. Point is when survival is at stake the need to eat and provide overrides everything else but granted I do get it that when there is mental health issues at play for whatever reason things can be so much harder but people do  endure it around the world as providing for their family's and the need to eat is paramount.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
fishcake63
August 9, 2023, 9:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Not sure mental health covers bashing a 60 year old lady , sorry i get people have issues but i'm not having a thug using an illness that millions of us deal with daily as an excuse for this behaviour
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
diehardmariner
August 9, 2023, 9:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from fishcake63
Not sure mental health covers bashing a 60 year old lady , sorry i get people have issues but i'm not having a thug using an illness that millions of us deal with daily as an excuse for this behaviour

Spot on.

Mental health is a horrific illness and it angers me to see it used as a defence for sheer thuggery.  

By all means get him the help he needs for his demons.  But smacking a 60-year-old woman isn't something that a support system can change, that's down to the fact that he's an absolute twit.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
aldi_01
August 9, 2023, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from diehardmariner

Spot on.

Mental health is a horrific illness and it angers me to see it used as a defence for sheer thuggery.  

By all means get him the help he needs for his demons.  But smacking a 60-year-old woman isn't something that a support system can change, that's down to the fact that he's an absolute twit.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s an acceptable argument, on the contrary, most have said they recognise his poor mental health but also the fact it’s not an excuse.

However, a former colleague and friend of mine, esteemed and well known clinical psychologist would argue that anyone that commits such a crime suffers from some form of poor mental health, their several published books and journal articles would support that idea.

That said, until our system and funding streams change, it’s prison for him and no doubt it’ll have zero impact, mainly because he’ll have little chance of accessing the appropriate support he needs, whatever that may look like…and so the cycle continues…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
golfer
August 9, 2023, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
There is a lot of help out there. One example is "Andy's Mans Club " which appears to be very successful. I know of 2 sites in Grimsby where meetings take place
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
diehardmariner
August 9, 2023, 11:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from aldi_01

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s an acceptable argument, on the contrary, most have said they recognise his poor mental health but also the fact it’s not an excuse.

However, a former colleague and friend of mine, esteemed and well known clinical psychologist would argue that anyone that commits such a crime suffers from some form of poor mental health, their several published books and journal articles would support that idea.

That said, until our system and funding streams change, it’s prison for him and no doubt it’ll have zero impact, mainly because he’ll have little chance of accessing the appropriate support he needs, whatever that may look like…and so the cycle continues…

Sorry, I don't think I could disagree more if I tried.

I'm not denying the credibility of your psychologist friend, but the suggestion that ill, evil and all crimes of this nature in the world are down to mental health is one I can't get on board I'm afraid.  

You'll get no argument from me on the lack of funding, support and the likelihood of the cycle going on and on and on.  It's an appalling neglect from Government after Government and we're beyond tipping point when it comes to mental health services.  In decades to come we'll look back on this as nothing more than a disgrace as to how we've neglected, neglected and then neglected some more.  The amount of money that gets thrown at other illnesses (and I'm not saying they don't need that and more!) in comparison to mental health is embarrassing.  But at what point do you have to accept that someone like Maddison is just an evil piece of excrement, mental health issues or not?
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Blundellite
August 9, 2023, 12:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +71
Gold Stars: 18
I get mental episodes real bad ones at times that just come out of nowhere. But when I do it's myself that I try and hurt or think badly about. Even at my worse point I've never thought about hurting someone else just because I don't feel right - no excuse whatsoever to attack someone from poor mental health. it was a violent cowardly act what he did, please don't sugar coat it as anything other
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Mappers
August 9, 2023, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 118
For anyone that suggests he isn't even slightly bad I ask you the question - would you think the same if that poor lady had been your mother ,wife or daughter ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
louth_in_the_south
August 9, 2023, 12:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,687
Gold Stars: 96
The clues in the report. Drunk and disorderly, violent thug picking on a victim who he knew couldn’t fight back , provoked her by throwing chips so she would likely respond and gave her a beating in response.
This isn’t a mental health issue. It’s simply that he’s a pathetic excuse for a man .
20 months? He should’ve got 10 years ffs

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Rick12
August 9, 2023, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The clues in the report. Drunk and disorderly, violent thug picking on a victim who he knew couldn’t fight back , provoked her by throwing chips so she would likely respond and gave her a beating in response.
This isn’t a mental health issue. It’s simply that he’s a pathetic excuse for a man .
20 months? He should’ve got 10 years ffs
Like bullys you get at school who prey on the weak in various guises be it physically or emotionally .  Hate these type of people. I very much doubt he would of started on someone who was 7ft and well built and who had his faculties . I think Vitali Klitschko the ex heavyweight boxing champion called it right when he said if you have the brains and the brawn  you have it all. You get people in life that try to stand up for the weak and oppressed be it physically or emotionally and I have a lot of admiration for such types.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Marcus Maddison - his fall and fall

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.