4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
July 31, 2023, 7:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,542
Gold Stars: 1,500
Saw this question asked earlier on, jokingly on this occasion, but since it's inevitably going to crop up once the season starts and the latest debate on ticketing / ground capacity ensues I thought it would be good to get this out of the way nice and early. To help settle this debate once and for all, I spent 5 minutes banging together a little script to extract the number of seats within each block listed on the club's ticketing site (one minor caveat below).

So, what's the capacity? The answer, give or take no more than 10 seats or so, is 8,874. Breakdown below:

Main Stand - 2,414
Pontoon - 1,808
Lower - 808
Upper - 2,004*
Osmond - 1,840 (551 small section, 1,289 larger section)

The one caveat is that it's hard to get an exact number of seats for block D of the upper; the directors / executive area. For the most part, it's identical to block B, but has a small staircase part of the way through the middle of the block, so I've had to guesstimate this as best as possible based on seat numbers and this image (I make it 256).

So there we have it, more or less the exact current capacity of Blundell Park, and a couple of hundred lower than the official figure. It will be interesting to see how close we can get to that once the season starts. Our biggest crowd last season was 8,414 against Forest, which would equate to just shy of 95% of capacity. Practically speaking, it's going to be difficult to top this for a league game you would think, but you never know what might happen if we start well.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Mappers
July 31, 2023, 8:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,321
Gold Stars: 118
It's been full for those big league games Doncaster / Bradford etc , i think every seat is sold for those games , it's impossible to beat that game against Forrest because everyone is effectively a walk up buying a ticket knowing they would actually be there on the night  (minimal no shows ) . Biggest gate in the league was about 8050  - Do they actually count the Exec box bods in the attendance - because your figure -300 in the exec  and 8400 at the Forrest game nearly matches the capacity .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
grimsby pete
July 31, 2023, 8:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Mappers
It's been full for those big league games Doncaster / Bradford etc , i think every seat is sold for those games , it's impossible to beat that game against Forrest because everyone is effectively a walk up buying a ticket knowing they would actually be there on the night  (minimal no shows ) . Biggest gate in the league was about 8050  - Do they actually count the Exec box bods in the attendance - because your figure -300 in the exec  and 8400 at the Forrest game nearly matches the capacity .

Good question most of those seats are freebies so they might not count them.

BUT

Do they count the ones that pay for the executive boxes. ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
moosey_club
July 31, 2023, 8:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,255
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah
Saw this question asked earlier on, jokingly on this occasion, but since it's inevitably going to crop up once the season starts and the latest debate on ticketing / ground capacity ensues I thought it would be good to get this out of the way nice and early. To help settle this debate once and for all, I spent 5 minutes banging together a little script to extract the number of seats within each block listed on the club's ticketing site (one minor caveat below).

So, what's the capacity? The answer, give or take no more than 10 seats or so, is 8,874. Breakdown below:

Main Stand - 2,414
Pontoon - 1,808
Lower - 808
Upper - 2,004*

The one caveat is that it's hard to get an exact number of seats for block D of the upper; the directors / executive area. For the most part, it's identical to block B, but has a small staircase part of the way through the middle of the block, so I've had to guesstimate this as best as possible based on seat numbers and this image (I make it 256).

So there we have it, more or less the exact current capacity of Blundell Park, and a couple of hundred lower than the official figure. It will be interesting to see how close we can get to that once the season starts. Our biggest crowd last season was 8,414 against Forest, which would equate to just shy of 95% of capacity. Practically speaking, it's going to be difficult to top this for a league game you would think, but you never know what might happen if we start well.

But....what about the internal executive boxes themselves.... And the disabled spaces ? 😉

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
Mappers
July 31, 2023, 8:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club

But....what about the internal executive boxes themselves.... And the disabled spaces ? 😉

And what about people like me and no doubt countless others , when the QR code does not work and the turnstile operative says 'just leave it' ? Lol .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
lukeo
July 31, 2023, 9:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
If you can't give me the exact number I'm no interested  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
GyMariner
July 31, 2023, 9:41pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
So why can't I get a ticket on the system pre-match, only for town to announce a 6000 attendance with photos of loads of empty seats

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
Mappers
July 31, 2023, 9:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from GyMariner
So why can't I get a ticket on the system pre-match, only for town to announce a 6000 attendance with photos of loads of empty seats

Because they announce bums on seats , rather than tickets sold and lot's of season ticket holders did not turn up last season or release their tickets - may well be easier this season with around 500 extra walk up seats available .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 31, 2023, 10:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +845
Gold Stars: 117
We need to start a sweepstake to see who gets closest to the official number........IF.......it is ever revealed.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Captain Sensible
August 1, 2023, 12:22am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

Main Stand - 2,414
Pontoon - 1,808
Lower - 808
Upper - 2,004*

How did you deal with - for example - Block A in the lower, seats G22/3 and E15?  These don't appear to be offered for sale, at least on the Venuetoolbox website.  I think they physically exist.  Could they be set as reserved on the system?  There appear to be other examples dotted about.

Also, did you include seats marked as restricted view?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Blundell Park Capacity

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.