4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Norseman
July 2, 2023, 11:23pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Just go back to the old offside law .You were always active wherever you were on the pitch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
immariner
July 2, 2023, 11:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from bradzmilne
Not a fan of this at all.

The problem isn’t the law, it’s how it’s enforced.

For me, if you’re in an offside position and have an impact within the phase of play…  You’re offside. The distance is somewhat irrelevant to the conversation.

Surely, the Premier League & technology is at a stage in which they can run a camera down each sideline? If you have that at your disposal, you’ll have decisions correct at all times.

There’s going some really odd looking goals.

The distance is very relevant when the technology attempts to measure to the cm and the difference between chosen frames can be upwards of 20cm if the defender and attacker are moving in opposite directions. I think it's at least something worth trialling and now gives the attacker a bit of an edge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
GYinScuntland
July 2, 2023, 11:45pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from immariner

The distance is very relevant when the technology attempts to measure to the cm and the difference between chosen frames can be upwards of 20cm if the defender and attacker are moving in opposite directions. I think it's at least something worth trialling and now gives the attacker a bit of an edge.

I actually don't know what you said so it's probably time for me to take up darts, or knitting or painting daffodils.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
crusty ole pie
July 3, 2023, 12:12am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,352
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from GYinScuntland
20 years ago I could explain the offside rule to my Girlfriend a piece of urine but I'm buggered these days.

T
Don’t you think it’s about time you married her
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
immariner
July 3, 2023, 12:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I actually don't know what you said so it's probably time for me to take up darts, or knitting or painting daffodils.

That 11 month daffodil painting preseason might drag! I'll try and do better to explain.

The VAR cameras shoot at 25 frames per second. One of those frames has to be chosen as the point at which the ball left the foot of the player passing to their teammate, who is being adjudged as on or offside. There's no way of really knowing the exact point and the difference in positioning of the attacker relative to the defender between 1 frame and the next (0.04 seconds) can be upwards of 20cm. So when VAR attempts to measure offsides down to the cm, this is essentially guesswork for extremely tight offsides, particularly when the attacker and defender are moving in opposite directions at pace as the margin for error is much greater.

I'm pretty tired so that was probably a shite explanation but I hope it helped a bit
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
GYinScuntland
July 3, 2023, 1:07am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from immariner

That 11 month daffodil painting preseason might drag! I'll try and do better to explain.

The VAR cameras shoot at 25 frames per second. One of those frames has to be chosen as the point at which the ball left the foot of the player passing to their teammate, who is being adjudged as on or offside. There's no way of really knowing the exact point and the difference in positioning of the attacker relative to the defender between 1 frame and the next (0.04 seconds) can be upwards of 20cm. So when VAR attempts to measure offsides down to the cm, this is essentially guesswork for extremely tight offsides, particularly when the attacker and defender are moving in opposite directions at pace as the margin for error is much greater.

I'm pretty tired so that was probably a shite explanation but I hope it helped a bit

Trust me, it didn't.
But thank you for actually attempting. 😃
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
male private Nale
July 3, 2023, 4:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
This should be applauded, football is about entertainment, the officials should be looking at ways to allow goals not disallow them and this is a massive step in the right direction.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
lukeo
July 3, 2023, 4:54am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,377
Gold Stars: 148
The only positive from this means more goals in the prem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
golfer
July 3, 2023, 8:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,444
Gold Stars: 116
In the last 50years  Town were offside  6242 times - their opponents were offside 6243 times so obviously Town have been using all the variations of the rule to their advantage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
Lost in Lincoln
July 3, 2023, 8:16am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
So instead of measuring whether a player's big toe is ahead of play, they'll be measuring if their bum hair is behind play?  

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Offside Law

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.