This thread currently has 3,819 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Simon
June 30, 2023, 5:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Can't believe we haven't put some decent temporary seats in the two pontoon end open corners, the thought of sitting in the main stand or osmond corner next to the away fans must be putting people off buying season tickets

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
The Caterham Mariner
June 30, 2023, 6:13pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +86
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Mappers
Every seat gone ,fair play to everyone that's some effort .

You won't get a matchday ticket in them now .

Really have some support don't we ?

Thats good news well done to all STH's for keeping the Faith whatever stand be the Pontoon or the Findus especially in times of watching the finances....Just make sure we can hear you all on match days when i listen from afar on Mariner TV commentary.
UTM 2023--24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
Mappers
June 30, 2023, 6:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Simon
Can't believe we haven't put some decent temporary seats in the two pontoon end open corners, the thought of sitting in the main stand or osmond corner next to the away fans must be putting people off buying season tickets

It's been done to death on here , in terms of capacity in the short term we can use the larger section of The Osmond for probably 17/23 games which gives you the 1200 but like the main the views not great and various obstructions .

We all know The Main's race is run as is The Osmonds but the training ground is seemingly the priority and any major work on Blundell Park in the eyes of Stockwood & Pettit either unviable or a long way down the list of priorities .

The truth is we should have had a new modern stadium 15 years ago , and when that was deemed undeliverable or  in the interim BP redeveloped ; especially the Main & Osmond when it would not have cost (relative) fortunes to do it .

We are now stuck between a rock and hard place with a very limited scope to grow at BP in it's current state - we can all debate and speculate as to what the answer is , and I would hope Jason & Andrew have them because we are one consistent good league season away from demand outstripping supply, with about 10 teams in league 1 who would not agree to giving us that larger section of the osmond .

A good problem to have and shows how far we have come , but it's one that will need a solution not in the '10 year plan ' I would suggest in 1 to 4 .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
moosey_club
June 30, 2023, 6:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,260
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Simon

I can't believe we havnt moved ground but hey.....the only open corner that could possibly take temporary seats would be Harrington open corner....pontoon/findus corner has food outlets taking up room....Even Harrington open corner has emergency vehicle access , press rooms, food outlet so even there would be cramped.
The original temp seating were on open ground, it's not the same footprint anymore so don't even think there would be much increase in capacity.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
male private Nale
June 30, 2023, 6:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GyMariner
I really hope they nail down trying to open some availability for walk ups. Surely we’re not going to have another season of turning 100s away again!

Another season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
June 30, 2023, 6:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mappers

It's been done to death on here , in terms of capacity in the short term we can use the larger section of The Osmond for probably 17/23 games which gives you the 1200 but like the main the views not great and various obstructions .

We all know The Main's race is run as is The Osmonds but the training ground is seemingly the priority and any major work on Blundell Park in the eyes of Stockwood & Pettit either unviable or a long way down the list of priorities .

The truth is we should have had a new modern stadium 15 years ago , and when that was deemed undeliverable or  in the interim BP redeveloped ; especially the Main & Osmond when it would not have cost (relative) fortunes to do it .

We are now stuck between a rock and hard place with a very limited scope to grow at BP in it's current state - we can all debate and speculate as to what the answer is , and I would hope Jason & Andrew have them because we are one consistent good league season away from demand outstripping supply, with about 10 teams in league 1 who would not agree to giving us that larger section of the osmond .

A good problem to have and shows how far we have come , but it's one that will need a solution not in the '10 year plan ' I would suggest in 1 to 4 .

Err, excuse me, I thought Blundell Park was our ground!

Reply: 15 - 23
Poojah
June 30, 2023, 7:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,551
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from 123614

Err, excuse me, I thought Blundell Park was our ground!

Indeed it is, however clubs are required by football league rules to allocate a minimum 10% of home capacity to away fans, approximately 800 in our case. The configuration of the Osmond means it can be segregated into two parts and two parts only - one comprising ~1,200 seats and the other ~600.

The majority of clubs in this league will not require or request more than the 600 allocation, and so we are able to apportion the larger section to home support. In the event that a club can expect to fill more than the 600 seats the Osmond's smaller section can accommodate, they are entitled by league rules to the larger section - even if they only sell 700 seats, for the sake of the argument.

In summary, it's not about ownership of the ground but rather a combination of the rules laid down by the EFL (which make absolute sense when you flip the situation on its head to our away games) and a quirk of the way the Osmond can be segregated. Hope this helps.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Madeleymariner
June 30, 2023, 8:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,057
Gold Stars: 50
How much would it cost to add an extra wall and fence so enough seats available for 10% required at one end of Osmond Stand to inc the corner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
Poojah
June 30, 2023, 8:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,551
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from Madeleymariner
How much would it cost to add an extra wall and fence so enough seats available for 10% required at one end of Osmond Stand to inc the corner

I think it's a little bit more complex than that, boiling down to access to facilities (i.e. toilets) etc. If you look at the below photos of the Osmond Stand, it is effectively separated by the vomitory about two thirds of the way towards the Main Stand. Fans in the smaller section access the stand via Harrington Street, while fans in the larger section enter via Constitutional Ave. Each section has its own toilets and catering facilities, with the larger section also having a small indoor bar area.

I say the above to the absolute best of my knowledge but having not sat in the Osmond since the Bruce Grobbelaar Oldham game in 1998, I may have some of the details wrong. Happy to be corrected by anyone who has sat there more recently (i.e. last season) but I think that's the basic crux of the setup (and why we can't split the stand any other way in its current guise).

[img]https://footballgroundguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/blundell-park-grimsby-town-fc-osmond-stand-1420820167.jpg.webp[/img]
[img]https://footballandmaterialculture.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/img_3881.jpg?w=1024[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
June 30, 2023, 8:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

Indeed it is, however clubs are required by football league rules to allocate a minimum 10% of home capacity to away fans, approximately 800 in our case. The configuration of the Osmond means it can be segregated into two parts and two parts only - one comprising ~1,200 seats and the other ~600.

The majority of clubs in this league will not require or request more than the 600 allocation, and so we are able to apportion the larger section to home support. In the event that a club can expect to fill more than the 600 seats the Osmond's smaller section can accommodate, they are entitled by league rules to the larger section - even if they only sell 700 seats, for the sake of the argument.

In summary, it's not about ownership of the ground but rather a combination of the rules laid down by the EFL (which make absolute sense when you flip the situation on its head to our away games) and a quirk of the way the Osmond can be segregated. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation, it was just the way it was wrote looked odd.

Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Done the lot in the Findus / Ponny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.