WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 28, 2023, 2:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from arryarryarry

As mentioned, those pics are obviously from the away game.

Me and my mates were stood in the lower section behind the fencing.

I’ve never seen any footage of that game. Quite possibly the only town game I’ve been to that I haven’t seen the highlights!

Loads sticks out from that day. We never stopped singing all game, I couldn’t get a programme (I was gutted at the time), the aforementioned fire in the seats and the Stoke supporter throwing the corner flag into the away end!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
moosey_club
June 28, 2023, 8:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,257
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I’ve never seen any footage of that game. Quite possibly the only town game I’ve been to that I haven’t seen the highlights!

Loads sticks out from that day. We never stopped singing all game, I couldn’t get a programme (I was gutted at the time), the aforementioned fire in the seats and the Stoke supporter throwing the corner flag into the away end!

For the record...It wasnt a fire..it was a couple of smoke bombs....Old fashioned plumbers flu testers.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
Madeleymariner
June 28, 2023, 9:41am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,056
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The guy that threw the corner flag was a work colleague at the time, it was so funny talking about the game the following Monday like mates, it really amazes me how some people will act on a match day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
grimps
June 28, 2023, 10:02am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
I was at both games and was 15-16 around that time .
The home game it had already kicked off big time before the match outside the Imp with around 200 a side going mad at each other.
We went on the pitch after final whistle and was on for about 10 minutes with 100s of Town fans taunting the Stoke end without them joining us on the pitch .
I actually had a full video of this for years and you see most of the Town fans leave the pitch at the Constitutional corner .
Once they’d left Stoke fans then got into the pitch and chased a handful of Grimsby that were still on the pitch .
We was outside the Imp and heard they’d got on the pitch and everyone raced back into the ground from the Imperial corner end and went straight back into the Stoke mob .
The clips on YouTube have been edited and lose about 10 minutes of the full video that I used to have .

The away game we went on the train with all the young Grimsby lads ( 14-17 years olds )
After the game we was put in police Horse vans which stunk and taken to the station .
A lot of Stokes mob was on our train in the front two carriages and they came steaming into our carriage , we was scrapping back and forth for about 3 stops when most of them got off at Uttoxeter.

We also played them a few other times in the 90s , around 93 was the first time we’d played them since the riots and Grimsby had 100s waiting in Cleethorpes but apart from a few Stoke on Darleys they never brought many .

Also early 2000s it kicked off at the Queens down Seaview Street
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
ginnywings
June 28, 2023, 10:27am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
A lot of the lads I know, grew up with, went to school with, were into all that and got a buzz out of it, but it never did anything for me, so I would take myself to one side and let them get on with it.

I was at those games, but just stood back and observed the mayhem from afar.

They sometimes go on about those days, but most of them now are grand dads and full of arthritis. A few of them are no longer with us. I never did get it myself, but what I would say is that those involved would be fighting with other willing participants from the opposing team. I say fighting, but there was a lot of gesticulating and monkey walking involved.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
Lost in Lincoln
June 28, 2023, 10:39am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +385
Gold Stars: 7
Was that the0-0 game?  Fairly sure I was at that one, was only about 17 and can remember the fans on the pitch at the end.  i was a bit wet behind the ears then so had no idea what was going on

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 31
HerveJosse
June 28, 2023, 10:46am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from ginnywings
A lot of the lads I know, grew up with, went to school with, were into all that and got a buzz out of it, but it never did anything for me, so I would take myself to one side and let them get on with it.

I was at those games, but just stood back and observed the mayhem from afar.

They sometimes go on about those days, but most of them now are grand dads and full of arthritis. A few of them are no longer with us. I never did get it myself, but what I would say is that those involved would be fighting with other willing participants from the opposing team. I say fighting, but there was a lot of gesticulating and monkey walking involved.  

We certainly were not willing participants when three of us were attacked making our way back to the car from the Baseball Ground and one of us spent three weeks in hospital in Derby. When people say  we don’t need a bigger ground now because we only attracted 4 or 5 thousand when in the championship you need look no further then this thread to understand one of the reasons why and why this is thankfully irrelevant today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
codcheeky
June 28, 2023, 10:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from HerveJosse

We certainly were not willing participants when three of us were attacked making our way back to the car from the Baseball Ground and one of us spent three weeks in hospital in Derby. When people say  we don’t need a bigger ground now because we only attracted 4 or 5 thousand when in the championship you need look no further then this thread to understand one of the reasons why and why this is thankfully irrelevant today.

This…all mobs including Grimsby had a few who would look for an easy target who had little chance of defending themselves.
It was part of the culture but let’s not pretend it was honourable
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
ginnywings
June 28, 2023, 11:00am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
I'm not defending anyone here. It was stupid then, and it's stupid now.

I've got no time for violence, especially unprovoked and meted out on innocent passers by.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
thornemariner
June 28, 2023, 12:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from HerveJosse

I nearly got a hiding off Town fans at Derby in 1981after being asked how the Rams had got on. I said they had won two one and got called a Derby b*****d  before a Grimsby lad recognised me and saved me from a kicking. Must have been twenty of them.

Back to Stoke and I remember both games that season. Never quite seen anything like it but winning at Port Vale the last day of 1991-92 was more hairy. We went through the home end to get back to the car. Didn't fancy our chances outside and I'd already been hit by a coin.

I went to see Brentford at Port Vale last year and a Bees friend had put on a GTFC hat I'd bought him. He was asked to please take it off by a steward because GY colours weren't liked around there.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stoke v Town 91/92

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.