rancido
June 17, 2023, 7:22am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Watched it. We did what we needed to do. Doesn’t change my opinion that the minnows should have to qualify for the qualification stage.

90 minutes of my life I won’t get back.

You didn't have to watch it, especially considering your attitude about "minnows".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
mimma
June 17, 2023, 11:43am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Town were minnows against Southampton
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
jamesgtfc
June 17, 2023, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,964
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Watched it. We did what we needed to do. Doesn’t change my opinion that the minnows should have to qualify for the qualification stage.

90 minutes of my life I won’t get back.

The minnows should be in a group together, guaranteeing one a place at the tournament and one a play off place.

That won't happen though because it makes qualification harder for the rest of Europe.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
SteffiMariner
June 17, 2023, 12:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The minnows should be in a group together, guaranteeing one a place at the tournament and one a play off place.

That won't happen though because it makes qualification harder for the rest of Europe.

It would take up two places, though those two minnows would then get absolutely mullered in the group stages so would make it unfair on the other groups that these teams aren't in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
SouthLakesMariner
June 17, 2023, 1:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +939
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Maringer
Good result, but possibly the least exciting game I've ever seen.

Agreed. Based on his enthusiasm about England’s performance, Andros Townsend seemed to be watching a different game. I thought James Maddison was poor, Townsend had a different opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
Maringer
June 17, 2023, 1:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,529
Gold Stars: 185
They were very keen to big up TAA in midfield. Good pass for the first goal, took his own goal well, but the media seem to have ignored the fact that we were up against such a weak team. Can you really imagine TAA starting in central midfield against one of the stronger nations?

He's got a lot of talent, but can't defend well enough to be a full-back at international level and isn't trusted to play in central midfield for his own club. Unfortunately, he's stymied by the fact that we've got a few good right-backs ahead of him in the pecking order and Saka is way too good to be dropped. Otherwise, he might get the odd chance as a Beckham-type wide player, there to put in crosses, set-pieces and spread the play.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
Gaffer58
June 17, 2023, 3:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Didn’t watch it but reading the paper this morning you’d think England had found the next Messi the way they are bigging up TAA, let’s be honest it was Malta,if any premiership player doesn’t look good against them then he shouldn’t be there. On a humour note, Kelvin Phillips has spent longer celebrating the three trophies Man City won then he actually played, at this rate he’ll be able to play into his 40’s as he only plays about 200 minutes a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Heisenberg
June 17, 2023, 8:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,067
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from Gaffer58
Didn’t watch it but reading the paper this morning you’d think England had found the next Messi the way they are bigging up TAA, let’s be honest it was Malta,if any premiership player doesn’t look good against them then he shouldn’t be there. On a humour note, Kelvin Phillips has spent longer celebrating the three trophies Man City won then he actually played, at this rate he’ll be able to play into his 40’s as he only plays about 200 minutes a season.

kAlvin.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
TownSNAFU5
June 17, 2023, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Talking of minnows, Scotland scored 2 late goals to win 2-1 in Oslo.  6 points ahead of Spain.

Maybe we need to upgrade their status? 😐
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
horsforthmariner
June 18, 2023, 12:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from rancido

You didn't have to watch it, especially considering your attitude about "minnows".

I do want to watch it - I love watching England. I’d prefer however if there were more competitive matches. There’s a limited amount of space for international matches so why are we wasting some of this precious time on matches that are so obviously uneven? If we had prequalifying we could have more interesting groups maybe with 3 qualification places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Malta v England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.