3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
June 10, 2023, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,879
Gold Stars: 42
His story in a paper today that as a kid he caught trains to get to watch Man City at Maine Road.  It was a very wet day.  To make things worse City lost 2-1 to Grimsby. 😇

I don’t remember the game but others will (assuming it is true).

Our clubs have since gone on different paths.

(Over the last 40 odd years we have beaten a lot of clubs that have won European trophies:

Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, Aston Villa,  Notts Forest, Ipswich and West Ham (FAC).  Any others?

We have also beaten Leeds who got to a European Cup Final, and Derby who got to the semi-final of the European Cup.

A bit tenuous but we have also beaten Wolves who beat Real Madrid in the middle of their 5 consecutive European Cup wins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heswall Mariner
June 10, 2023, 8:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
His story in a paper today that as a kid he caught trains to get to watch Man City at Maine Road.  It was a very wet day.  To make things worse City lost 2-1 to Grimsby. 😇

I don’t remember the game but others will (assuming it is true).

Our clubs have since gone on different paths.

(Over the last 40 odd years we have beaten a lot of clubs that have won European trophies:

Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs, Aston Villa,  Notts Forest, Ipswich and West Ham (FAC).  Any others?

We have also beaten Leeds who got to a European Cup Final, and Derby who got to the semi-final of the European Cup.

A bit tenuous but we have also beaten Wolves who beat Real Madrid in the middle of their 5 consecutive European Cup wins.

Must be the same game I remember - maybe a 3rd round FA Cup tie on a murky January Saturday in the early 60's. Ron C0ckerill scored with a couple of long range efforts. Ex Bolton Freddie Hill played for Cityy methinks? We lost in the 4th round to Notts Forrest ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
Abdul19
June 10, 2023, 8:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,562
Gold Stars: 216
He was getting on a bit when he won that world title!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
pizzzza
June 10, 2023, 8:51pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

Must be the same game I remember - maybe a 3rd round FA Cup tie on a murky January Saturday in the early 60's. Ron C0ckerill scored with a couple of long range efforts. Ex Bolton Freddie Hill played for Cityy methinks? We lost in the 4th round to Notts Forrest ?

Ricky was born in '78!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
Heswall Mariner
June 10, 2023, 9:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Ricky was born in '78!

OK he must have got it wrong then  - UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Les Brechin
June 10, 2023, 9:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,710
Gold Stars: 174
As far as I can see, the last time we won 2-1 at Maine Road was in an FA Cup replay in the late 50's.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
Poojah
June 10, 2023, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
For reasons that are beyond me, I have vivid memories of our final game of the last millennium against Man City at Maine Road. There was nothing between the two sides that day, save for a stoppage time winner from Kevin Horlock that I’d argue to this day was against the run of play.

The difference in size between the two clubs was clear even then, but to think that within 12 and a half years one would have won the Premier League title while the other had completed its second season in non-league would have been unthinkable at the time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
Heswall Mariner
June 10, 2023, 9:47pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin
As far as I can see, the last time we won 2-1 at Maine Road was in an FA Cup replay in the late 50's.

Thanks  Les  - I said early 60's so it must have been late 50's - but I was there with my dad & Ron Cockerill  - father of John -scored both goals.
I used to have a scrap book with all this stuff in but my dear old mum binned it when I went off to sea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
grimsby pete
June 11, 2023, 12:05am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,798
Gold Stars: 222
I went to that game I must have been about 10 years old at the time.

I remember the snow on the pennines as we went over

I thought it was in the 60's though and I went with my mates not my dad,and I was a bit older at the time.

I will have to check my town book.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
IlkleyMariner
June 11, 2023, 6:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Town won 4-0 away at City in February 1964. Not bad eh?

Two years later was at the aFA Cup game which we lost 2-0

Was at a game on 28 December which we lost 2-1 to last minute goal. Think jack lester scored for us. I won a signed ball presented by Mike summer bee for correctly predicting the crowd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ricky Hatton story: Man City 1 Town 2

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.