TownSNAFU5
May 16, 2023, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,892
Gold Stars: 42
Plymouth promoted with 101 points.

Luton in Promotion Final. After finishing 3rd.

Southampton relegated after finishing bottom.

Cambridge survived by 1 point.

Burton were bottom (I think) when we played them.

We only played teams with something else to play for.

The most important point is that on talkSPORT tonight they said that 10 years ago Luton missed out on the playoffs - in NL.  They finished 7th.  Losing at home to Kidderminster, Braintree and others.

If Luton can get close to the PL from NL (and with a poor ground) then we should have the confidence to dream as well.  It is possible. However, long and hard the journey.

Logged Online
Private Message
jamesgtfc
May 16, 2023, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,012
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Plymouth promoted with 101 points.

Luton in Promotion Final. After finishing 3rd.

Southampton relegated after finishing bottom.

Cambridge survived by 1 point.

Burton were bottom (I think) when we played them.

We only played teams with something else to play for.

The most important point is that on talkSPORT tonight they said that 10 years ago Luton missed out on the playoffs - in NL.  They finished 7th.  Losing at home to Kidderminster, Braintree and others.

If Luton can get close to the PL from NL (and with a poor ground) then we should have the confidence to dream as well.  It is possible. However, long and hard the journey.

Every summer is an opportunity to dream for what the next season might have to offer us. Successful wheeling and dealing could propel any time to the dizzy heights. All I will say is that the bigger the rise, the harder the fall!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
LH
May 16, 2023, 11:08pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,543
Gold Stars: 173
One day - we too - could be less than an hour from London and an hour and a half from Birmingham.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
lew chaterleys lover
May 17, 2023, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,743
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from LH
One day - we too - could be less than an hour from London and an hour and a half from Birmingham.

That didn't seem to do them any good when in the National league, did it?
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
buckstown
May 17, 2023, 8:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from LH

Have you heard a whisper about HS 43?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Limerick Mariner
May 17, 2023, 2:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,706
Gold Stars: 136
The Luton results, with depleted squad availability to us, were a bigger achievement than the Soton win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
diehardmariner
May 17, 2023, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,649
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The Luton results, with depleted squad availability to us, were a bigger achievement than the Soton win.

I'd say it was a better performance against a better opposition, Luton would wipe the floor with Southampton if they played them tomorrow. But the achievement of reaching the quarter-final is/was something else, regardless of how poor Southampton are and looked so until they brought Ward-Prowse and Walcott on.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
gtfc_chris
May 17, 2023, 3:02pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,474
Gold Stars: 115
Some years ago, call it 5 or 6 (yes, in the dark days), I used to argue that there was no reason why we shouldn’t have aspirations to reach the Championship. Not by divine right but by virtue of the fact that teams like Yeovil, Scunthorpe and Wycombe (not at that point of course) can do it. A club run well or having a period of fortune with football recruitment can surpass expectations.

With two years under new owners and the benefit of hindsight that argument was probably naivety at its finest and never likely to be the case under JF.

Although these owners aren’t able to pump multi-millions into the Club to fast track a rise through the leagues, they’re certainly looking to do things that give me renewed confidence that we could ‘do a Luton’.

There’ll be factors that might limit us in comparison but Luton have proven that with the right approach - and perhaps a touch of luck? - success is out there.

Shy of the new owners having a few more quid, I think their way of thinking is what can, in time, be the catalyst for our upward trajectory.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Limerick Mariner
May 17, 2023, 3:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'd say it was a better performance against a better opposition, Luton would wipe the floor with Southampton if they played them tomorrow. But the achievement of reaching the quarter-final is/was something else, regardless of how poor Southampton are and looked so until they brought Ward-Prowse and Walcott on.

Agreed yes “achievement” was the wrong word - that was my point - Luton would beat Soton and we had a thinner squad to choose from for both games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
diehardmariner
May 17, 2023, 3:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,649
Gold Stars: 539
And you could also argue that after the first leg we had lost our initial shock factor.  After the initial tie Luton had the time to regroup, shake their heads and put us in our place.

Over both games I can remember thinking how fast and powerful Luton were. You expect that to an extent when playing a side two leagues above us (Always think back to when we lost to Blackburn in 2008 and the stand out for me was as simple as that they simply hit the ball with more pace than we did).  But watching Luton physically dominate a good Championship side last night made me think just how well we did to not only compete but beat them.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
Stew0_0
May 17, 2023, 3:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,199
Gold Stars: 35
I look at teams like Brighton, Luton, Brentford and think we could strive to be like teams like this.

Theyve all been at our level at some point, yes some have had some money thrown in by I think Luton are fan owned, all punching above their weight and are either hold their own in the prem or striving to get their.

If we can remain well run, striving to improve, take the data led stance that these teams have taken to bring in the best players we can for our level who knows where we could end up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
Limerick Mariner
May 17, 2023, 5:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
And you could also argue that after the first leg we had lost our initial shock factor.  After the initial tie Luton had the time to regroup, shake their heads and put us in our place.

Over both games I can remember thinking how fast and powerful Luton were. You expect that to an extent when playing a side two leagues above us (Always think back to when we lost to Blackburn in 2008 and the stand out for me was as simple as that they simply hit the ball with more pace than we did).  But watching Luton physically dominate a good Championship side last night made me think just how well we did to not only compete but beat them.

Maybe odd to say it given how free scoring we were at other times in the FA Cup, but I think the second half v Luton was our season high point performance wise. We’d completely dazed them in the first half, but they brought their big guns on and threw everything at us. We defended deeper and deeper yet they hardly laid a glove on us. It was the best of keeping “us shape”, no stupid diving into tackles (which we’ve been guilty of at other times) just great energy and defensive discipline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Cup teams played this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.