Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread

This thread currently has 715,938 views. Print
402 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
May 10, 2023, 7:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

To piggyback on this, Swindon finished on 61 points too but were 13 goals better off than us.....so if the fabled double-digit striker is only making a 2-.0 scoreline a 3.-0 scoreline and not turning 1-1 into 2-1 we could have had Umerah stick 12 in the net for us this year and still finished 11th on 61 points.  Statistics really can be made to show anything

Double digit strikers aren’t ‘fabled’, 17 of the 24 teams in our league possessed one this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 4018
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 10, 2023, 8:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,076
Gold Stars: 195
Quoted from pontoonlew

Double digit strikers aren’t ‘fabled’, 17 of the 24 teams in our league possessed one this season.

Yeah, but don’t let facts get in the way

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 4018
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2023, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,103
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pontoonlew

11 of the teams in this division scored less than us this season, whilst only 8 teams conceded more than us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 4018
pontoonlew
May 10, 2023, 9:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from jamesgtfc

11 of the teams in this division scored less than us this season, whilst only 8 teams conceded more than us.

We’ll be going round in circles putting out relatively useless facts all night.

My opinion remains the same on the striking issue, I think a large part of our fan base are massively defeatist when it comes to signing a striker and are somehow convinced they don’t exist. I’m convinced a 12-15 goal striker would make a huge difference next season and would’ve turned some of our 9 draws into wins this, especially at home.

George Lloyd would be a great start to that search.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 4018
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2023, 9:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

We’ll be going round in circles putting out relatively useless facts all night.

My opinion remains the same on the striking issue, I think a large part of our fan base are massively defeatist when it comes to signing a striker and are somehow convinced they don’t exist. I’m convinced a 12-15 goal striker would make a huge difference next season and would’ve turned some of our 9 draws into wins this, especially at home.

George Lloyd would be a great start to that search.

George Lloyd would be an excellent summer signing I agree. We could go around in circles, but it doesn't necessarily matter where the goals from, look where an over-reliance on goals from Tshimanga got Chesterfield last season for example.

My point was that more than a third of those teams with a striker scoring more than 10 goals this season finished below is.

I do however think that whilst a tighter defence would have yielded a few more points, a combination of that and a few more goals in the team would have been necessary to challenge for 7th.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 274 - 4018
Poojah
May 10, 2023, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,040
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from jamesgtfc

George Lloyd would be an excellent summer signing I agree. We could go around in circles, but it doesn't necessarily matter where the goals from, look where an over-reliance on goals from Tshimanga got Chesterfield last season for example.

My point was that more than a third of those teams with a striker scoring more than 10 goals this season finished below is.

I do however think that whilst a tighter defence would have yielded a few more points, a combination of that and a few more goals in the team would have been necessary to challenge for 7th.

Moving on the discussion slightly, it will be interesting to see what happens to Tshimanga in the summer. Peterborough don’t seem to fancy him but are presumably committed to a the “permanent” deal once the window reopens.

Presumably they’ll move him on at a loss, though that’s not really how Posh like to operate. Bigger question is where he ends up. It won’t be here, and I’m not overly fussed about that, but I wouldn’t be surprised him in League Two next season. Back at Chesterfield even, if Notts’ day trip doesn’t go to plan on Saturday?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 4018
denni266
May 10, 2023, 9:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +703
Gold Stars: 132
I think the problem this season is that we made many chances all season but had trouble converting them in to goals, Too many one on ones  tap ins wild shots when i a good position  went begging .. It put preasure on the defence all season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 4018
jamesgtfc
May 10, 2023, 10:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Moving on the discussion slightly, it will be interesting to see what happens to Tshimanga in the summer. Peterborough don’t seem to fancy him but are presumably committed to a the “permanent” deal once the window reopens.

Presumably they’ll move him on at a loss, though that’s not really how Posh like to operate. Bigger question is where he ends up. It won’t be here, and I’m not overly fussed about that, but I wouldn’t be surprised him in League Two next season. Back at Chesterfield even, if Notts’ day trip doesn’t go to plan on Saturday?

No mention of the word optional in their announcement so it seems they are committed to it: https://www.theposh.com/news/posh-secure-signing-spireites-striker.

I presume it was done as a loan to get the deal through on time, but it could have been done for accounting reasons I guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 4018
forza ivano
May 10, 2023, 10:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,301
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from denni266
I think the problem this season is that we made many chances all season but had trouble converting them in to goals, Too many one on ones  tap ins wild shots when i a good position  went begging .. It put preasure on the defence all season

I that's a pretty reasonable response for you denni, and I tend to agree . I think Mark Stilton on Twitter pointed out we were just behind Northampton it terms of shots on goal in home games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 4018
SouthLakesMariner
May 10, 2023, 10:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from sam gy

Leyton Orient blitzed the league and their top goalscorer only scored 10 in 40 games. Think that's one more than our top goalscorer Harry Clifton, pretty sure he scored 9.

If you can share the goals out around the squad rather than banking everything on someone who does nothing much more other than score goals, you still have a chance of going up.

But Leyton Orient had the meanest defence in the division. You don’t need to be prolific scorers to go up, but you need a tight defensive record to make that work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 279 - 4018
402 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Ska Face Summer rumour/transfer thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.