Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player of the Year?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 110 Guests

Player of the Year?

This thread currently has 3,183 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
GY1
April 23, 2023, 6:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1
Gotta be Clifton. Most consistent through out the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Running like emson
April 23, 2023, 10:12pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Maybe not player of the season but I think Maher has been a great acquisition. Agree that Harry has been consistently strong
(And if you can award it for one game Gav is my man!!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
HatTrickHero
April 23, 2023, 10:30pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Let's throw the cat amongst the pigeons, George Lloyd 😶
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
TAGG
April 23, 2023, 11:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Harry Clifton by a country mile.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
HertsGTFC
April 23, 2023, 11:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Son of Cod

You could say the same about Clifton and some of the sitters he's missed though.

It's quite clearly between Clifton and Waterfall, I voted Waterfall in the Trust award but Clifton will get the main one because it'll make a good story. He deserves it to be fair, either of those two both do.

Yeah but the difference is Clifton is a midfielder and not a striker who is expected to put it away at a decent rate. Our defenders are thought expected to defend. None of them have been all that this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Grimsby2012
April 23, 2023, 11:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
Wouldn't really say anybody stood out. Mediocre 1st season back in the league.

Hopefully more choices next season

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 24, 2023, 12:52am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 122
Gavan Holohan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
lukeo
April 24, 2023, 6:11am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,405
Gold Stars: 149
Clifton or Maher (although we need to stop trying to use his not so long throws!)
Lloyd's within a shout as he's been brilliant. Works hard and I think he's the best player we have at this moment in time, but has he been here long enough to be within a chance of getting an award?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 24, 2023, 7:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
When the Fishy held this discussion at the turn of the year, the general consensus was Clifton, closely followed by Waterfall and then Max.

Waterfall was key to amassing all those away wins in the first couple of months of the season. It was that spell that meant we were never in danger of relegation. Luke was an absolute rock. At Christmas, I’d have probably have had him edging out Clifton by a whisker.

However, Clifton’s been vital all season. Even if Harry hadn’t scored all season, he’d still be in the top 2 as his energy, in-game versatility and defensive work are so important to the team. As it happens, he’s also our top scorer so it’s Harry for me.

Clifton marginally ahead of Waterfall (c)…then a huge chasm to the best of the rest…

It’s a töss up for 3rd between; Efete (better than most people appreciate or would like to admit), Maher (generally steady and should be better with an injury-free pre-season), Max (if we ignore the past 6 weeks or so), Holohan (mainly for his cup goals).

Whilst Lloyd has a good 2.5 months and I would definitely be interested in us signing him, I’m not sure if he’s had quite enough of an impact in his 18(?) matches to be in the debate for POTY.

Whoever suggested Glennon…I’m not even sure he’s been our best left back. I do think Glennon is another player who will be improved by another league season under their belt and a (hopefully) productive pre-season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
GtfcGarner
April 24, 2023, 7:33am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,794
Gold Stars: 26
Throwing it out there that it shows we have had alot of mediocre players that have just been take it or leave it this year which would thus need adding to in the summer if we are to improve. I imagine if you go on Orient/Northampton forum that they would have 3 or 4 players with the potential and be quick to point out other players who have had good seasons. We really do need to be ruthless this year and recruit well. I think the league will be alot stronger next year, Hartlepool & Rochdale replaced by Wrexham and possibly Notts County which would be a vast improvement on both of those. The teams coming down from L1 wont be no mugs either, Forest Green won it at a canter last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Player of the Year?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.