Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A little bit of a quirk?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 84 Guests

A little bit of a quirk?

This thread currently has 2,128 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
April 13, 2023, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,300
Gold Stars: 226
We waste the first 45 mins setting up worrying about the opposition allowing them to grow into a game....
If at 0-0 we then waste the 45 -70 mins section not wanting to upset the apple cart and actually do something positive from the bench as 0-0 isn't losing.
70 mins make a like for like sub...
70 - 80 mins we then consider making a more radical sub / formation if the previous sub didn't work.

Or so it seems....

Obvious exceptions are if we are trailing badly at half time or have completely bombed.

It's not a quirk...its a well practised pattern.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
BraStrap
April 13, 2023, 9:59pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HerveJosse

These stats are certainly interesting but difficult to relate to the reality of how the game feels when watching live take the Hartlepool game where according to the BBC we had 17 shots to Hartlepools 4 . What is a shot for this purpose by the way? My recollection is we had few goal scoring opportunities and deserved to lose that game but the stats say something very different.

Hartlepool scored from virtually every chance they had, as they always seem to against us. Just before the pen we had a couple of cracking chances in quick succession, can't remember who. Had we scored then it could well have been a very different outcome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
toontown
April 13, 2023, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah
I'm not convinced our poor home form is borne out of any low-risk approach employed by Hurst; he's not your archetypal front foot, Kevin Keegan type manager but I don't see sufficient evidence throughout his managerial career to suggest his teams are consistently poor at home.

For me, if one thing has defined our league season it's woeful profligacy. We miss way too many chances when on top in games, and the stats seem to bear that out. As of 1st April, the excellent Experimental 361 site had us 4th based on expected goals, with by far the biggest difference between our expected goals and actual goals scored.

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/2023-04-01-103.png[/img]

To illustrate the point, here's the xG progression in each of our last 6 games:

[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/2023-04-10-doncaster-grimsby.png[/img]
[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/2023-04-07-grimsby-hartlepool.png[/img]
[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/2023-04-01-bradford-grimsby.png[/img]
[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/04/2023-03-28-crawley-grimsby.png[/img]
[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/03/2023-03-25-grimsby-walsall.png[/img]
[img]https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2023/03/2023-03-22-mansfield-grimsby.png[/img]

With the exception of Bradford (which we indeed lost), the xG stats have us as the expected, comfortable victors in every game - even Hartlepool. And yet we only managed 1 win, 3 draws and 2 defeats - turning what seemingly should have been 15 points into a measly 6.

But this just tells us that we miss a lot of chances, and miss out on a lot of points in the process - it doesn't explain why our home form is so poor. Let's take these last 6 games for instance - 2 of which were at home, 4 away. In our 2 home games, our average xG scored was 2.0 versus 1.85 away. However, in terms of real goals scored we actually averaged 1.0 at home, and 1.5 away. Still less than we should seemingly have scored, but a much poorer conversion ratio at home.

That's a small data sample I grant you, and we can debate the validity of xG as a metric until the cows come home. But for me it reinforces 5 things that I've thought for a while:

1. We miss too many chances, home and away
2. We are psychologically fragile at home after a slow start to the season at BP
3. The atmosphere at BP is markedly different to that away from home, and adds to those psychological fragilities
4. Teams factor in our home record and profligacy and come to BP with greater confidence and more attacking designs of their own
5. We lack a regular goalscorer to convert chances, ease the crowd, put games to bed and dig us out of tricky situations

I genuinely think that we're not far away from being a decent team, but even without a crumb of data we all know only too well that we haven't been very good in and around the opposition penalty area this season.

Next season is a new one, we'll have fresh blood in the dressing room and I see no clear reason for the pattern of poor home form to continue. But it could reoccur if we don't address the blatant issues that have held us back this season. Goalscorers don't grow on trees, I get that, and there are no guarantees a striker is going to perform for you. But generally speaking, those that do come at a premium at every level and we need to learn our lessons, take our medicine and take the kind of punt we've been reluctant to do in the last few windows. If we don't, we run the risk of another season like this one and I fear the momentum we've built over the last 18 months will be lost.

You would think that if Hurst agreed with the points 1 and 5 your making then the player he would consider to remedy it is orsi, by his own admission the best finisher in the squad. But he hasn't except on rare cup occasions when pretty much forced. Odd because orsi isn't a lazy player that might turn Hurst off, he seems to put in a shift. And Hurst actually sought him out to sign him, he wasnt lumbered with him from a previous manager. Yet almost never plays him and for large chunks ofbthe season has preferred anonymous teenage loan strikers to come on as.sub instead, even though he has sent those same loan players back at the first opportunity as not good enough.

And having said all that I didn't think orsi showed anything in the league games I've seen him play (bar last monday) so can't really complain.

I'm not disagreeing with your points by the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 13, 2023, 10:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Anyone else click on this thread thinking…hoping…that Pauline Quirke’s iCloud had finally been hacked?

Anyone?

Someone?

Yoda?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
ginnywings
April 13, 2023, 10:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Anyone else click on this thread thinking…hoping…that Pauline Quirke’s iCloud had finally been hacked?

Anyone?

Someone?

Yoda?

No other birds of a feather it seems.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 13, 2023, 10:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,979
Gold Stars: 184

Anyone?

Someone?

Yoda?

I thought it was about german yoghurt or someone from h*ll walking really fast

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Vance Warner
April 15, 2023, 12:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
This article from earlier in the season summed it up for me. Not so much us setting up differently but teams coming here to engage in a physical battle and some dark arts. We don’t seem to have enough players who can go past people with skill or pace so rely on passing through physical and well organised defences.

https://amp.theguardian.com/fo.....emier-league-pyramid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A little bit of a quirk?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.