forza ivano
April 12, 2023, 10:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,281
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
When you consider those 4 extra games average were against top of championship and prem teams running us ragged, in real terms they were probably the same effort level as 1.5 or 2 league 2 games as well.

Warm up the deckchairs, order in some extra physios and the lads might have a fair chance next season without playoffs etc to tackle too.

exactly this - imagine how much better a fully rested Clifton (if he stays) & Waterfall will be.
I hope we'd also see the best of Efete & Max
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
FishOutOfWater
April 13, 2023, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from forza ivano
Here's some other stats . All these players have only had 5-6 weeks off in 19 months

McAtee 68 , Taylor 71 (both have had long term injury lay offs)

Andy Smith 67, Michee Efete 76 - both playing their first ever seasons of professional football

Gavan Holohan 79

Max Crocombe 83

Luke Waterfall 90 (at 32 years of age0

Harry Clifton 95

no wonder they're looking tired both mentally and physically

Hurst also mentioned Gav having featured the season before us when he was with Hartlepool when they got promoted from the National League via the play offs so an even longer stint for him
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 12
rancido
April 14, 2023, 9:35am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,652
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
It has been mentioned on a few threads, and Hurst made a passing reference to it in his RH interview after Donny, so I thought I’d look into whether we actually have played significantly more minutes across this season compared to other clubs (plus it gave a me a reason to procrastinate from work on return from the Easter hols).

Whilst I’m obviously quite sad to spend time looking at stats for minutes played (here for anybody who’s interested: https://fbref.com/en/squads/a18a87d7/Grimsby-Town-Stats), I’m not sad enough to compile them for the entire league. I’ve looked at nine clubs: us, those immediately around us, a couple from the bottom of the league and a few from the top. I’m assuming the numbers are representative of the whole division.

I looked at minutes played across squads but limited it to players who have made at least 10 appearances and who have also made at least five starts so far (in other words, they’ve actually contributed to their team). See below. Stats show the number of qualifying players per club, total minutes accumulated by those players and the average number of minutes played per player, per squad across the season so far (in all comps). TL;DR – the bit in bold at the bottom is the important bit:

Leyton Orient (top of the league)
19 players. Total mins: 39,886 - average: 2,099 per player

Carlisle (play-offs)
21 players. Total mins: 42,177 - average: 2008pp

Bradford (play-offs)
21 players. Total mins: 40,032 - average: 1,906pp

Swindon (51 points with us)
21 players. Total mins: 37,769 - average: 1,799pp

Walsall (on 51 points with us)
21 players. Total mins: 43,631 - average: 2,078pp

Doncaster (51 points with us)
22 players. Total mins: 40,122 - average: 1,823pp

Hartlepool (battling relegation)
24 players. Total mins: 41,434 - average: 1,726pp

Rochdale (battling relegation)
22 players. Total mins: 40,142 - average: 1,825pp

League average (based on the other eight club totals):
171 players. Total mins: 325, 193 – average: 1,902 mins played, per player

GTFC
20 players. Total mins: 46,381 - average: 2,319 mins played, per player

Instinctively we probably all knew that we’ve played more than most teams this year, but I think the stats are pretty stark: assuming the other eight clubs’ data can be roughly extrapolated across the division, every one of our players (that’s 20 players who have made at least 10 apps, 5 starts) has played about 417 more minutes than their League 2 counterparts – which is over four-and-a-half matches.

Yes, I know that they’re professional athletes and so should be able to cope with a few extra games, but the point is that they’re competing against opponents who are also professional athletes. Playing an extra 400+ minutes is bound to have an impact (and that’s before we start taking into consideration that better players might be more affected due to being picked more often, more important to the side and so on). Also, none of this considers the fact that we had that ridiculously short turnaround last summer, after a brutal, biblical play-off campaign.

The bottom line is that our players are scrapping their backsides off for points, busting a gut whilst playing minutes well beyond other sides in the league. It may not be pretty at times, but there is a fighting spirit within a squad which is trying desperately to avoid ending the season in a whimper. Now Doncaster – that’s a side whose season has fizzled out. At least we have a bit of fight left, even when running on empty.

Reading these stats got me thinking back to the first season I started watching town in the 1965-66 season when we were in the old 3rd division. As a cost cutting exercise it was decided not to have a reserve side and to use young players from the youth Northern Intermediate League squad. That season we played 46 league games and 11 cup games . We used a core of players with only 14 playing more than 10 games. It's also worth noting that our regular goalkeeper, Charlie Wright, left in March and Harry Wainman completed the season. The highest number of completed playing minutes for the season was 4950 which was achieved by 2 players - Jimmy Thompson and Brian Hill. The completed minutes of this core of 14 players for the season , including cup games, was 54,870 which averages 3919 per player. That season we reached R4 of the FA Cup with games against Barnsley and Portsmouth both going to replays. We also reached R5 of the League Cup, going out to West Ham in a replay at Upton Park. It's also worth noting we finished 11th in Division 3 , present day League 1.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Minutes played this year

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.