4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
horsforthmariner
April 1, 2023, 6:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 9
In a sense the club were in a difficult position. They were playing a league match in every month of 2022. It must have been a nightmare to plan on that basis. It made sense to keep the nucleas of that squad and try and capitalise on the momentum the play offs generated. Realistically without the cup run we’ve had a decent season considering where we were. Next season I think we’ll challenge further up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 39
dapperz fun pub
April 1, 2023, 7:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from It Bites
It still hurts that I feel like I have to keep looking at the league table to make sure we're safe . That's what 20 years on demise does for you I guess . Hopefully one day we'll be challenging at the other end of league 2 again

Thank god for that I thought it was just me , I checked the table asap after I saw Hartlepool and dale had won
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 39
Croxton
April 1, 2023, 7:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just a few new lads will make the difference not wholesale changes.

We need a little varity coming from the bench not like for like when things are not going as planned.

Hursty knows who he wants all he has to do is persuade them thier future lies with us.

Easier said than done so start early PAUL !!!

The variety needs to be on the pitch from the start! We are too easily marked with Taylor if we look for flick ons etc. As soon as we are chasing the game we need to be firing it in to forwards feet and in behind full backs. It's unfair on Lloyd and McAtee to expect them to do his running. If he was a lethal finisher then  maybe. As it is, Clifton gets in the box far more than Taylor.

Just because he has more experience than the kids on the bench should not get him 90 mins against Hartlepool.

Although Taylor did two good headed clearances from their corners it is not a reason to keep him on the pitch.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 39
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2023, 7:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Spurn boy

Agree with your comments but when you have 16,000 plus fans urging you on it does make a big difference.

It makes a big difference for your budget too.

My reflection is this, we’ve had 20 years of negative ownership now we have positive ownership and the club is a better place.

We went down to the NL with a car crash of a squad, FFS Elliot Hewitt often looked like the best player, he’s ok but shouldn’t be anyone’s best player.

We came back at the first ask without spending stupid amounts. For those who where talking about back to back promotions it was never going to happen as in reality we got promoted on the back of an above average league finish and 3 brilliant efforts/results in the play off.

This season the squad was never good enough to realistically get promoted as it’s a squad In transition with many lads who are good at NL level, a few that have done the EFL before but haven’t pulled up trees and no real talisman like we had last term.

When you look at the careers of the senior players I’d argue Hurst has done a good job to get us to what will be a lower mid table finish & the 6th round of the cup.

So what does the future look like?

Good owners, a decent manager, funds in place to add more EFL level players and build for a better league finish next season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 39
RonMariner
April 1, 2023, 7:47pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,719
Gold Stars: 226
At this stage of the season the table doesn't lie. It's telling us that we are a mid table side.  But that isn't bad considering we finished 6th best in the NL last season, had a short pre-season, and made very few squad additions, most of them from NL and below.

So finishing mid table this season is ok in my book in the circumstances, and the cup run makes it a truly memorable season anyway.

But I think we all need and expect something better next season.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 39
April 1, 2023, 7:55pm
Guest User
At least five times this season, many of our players gave everything they had - mentally and physically - to get our football
team into the FA Cup quarter-finals. Making history.

Following on from a play-off campaign where we had no chance, according to the statistics. No side finishing 6th had ever
previously made it to the NL play-off final - let alone win it. We won it.

We got to where we are - mid-table in League 2 - on the back of incredible heart and determination from a group of players
who were willing to sacrifice their bodies for the club, the fans, the manager, and their personal refusal to accept the 'fact'
that they had no realistic chance.

We should pause our criticism now to reflect on that. They're probably feeling the strain.
They're still giving everything they've got...which is about 45 minutes worth. They need a rest.

Our guys are not substandard robots who need binning off...they are heroes, surely. They deserve more respect imo.

Paul Hurst will do what he considers needs to be done. He, also, ought to have earned our trust. We are in good hands.

UTM

(I've had a bit to drink, and the criticism of Ryan Taylor who gets a serious battering every time he plays has got to me.
I'm guessing he's gone out on more than one occasion when carrying a knock. For the good of the team. And us.)

Reply: 15 - 39
MuddyWaters
April 1, 2023, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 137
At least five times this season, many of our players gave everything they had - mentally and physically - to get our football

Following on from a play-off campaign where we had no chance, according to the statistics. No side finishing 6th had ever

We got to where we are - mid-table in League 2 - on the back of incredible heart and determination from a group of players
who were willing to sacrifice their bodies for the club, the fans, the manager, and their personal refusal to accept the 'fact'

We should pause our criticism now to reflect on that. They're probably feeling the strain.
They're still giving everything they've got...which is about 45 minutes worth. They need a rest.

Our guys are not substandard robots who need binning off...they are heroes, surely. They deserve more respect imo.

Paul Hurst will do what he considers needs to be done. He, also, ought to have earned our trust. We are in good hands.

UTM

(I've had a bit to drink, and the criticism of Ryan Taylor who gets a serious battering every time he plays has got to me.
I'm guessing he's gone out on more than one occasion when carrying a knock. For the good of the team. And us.)

Generally agree with all of that but I question the use of fatigue as an excuse when he’s got five subs to use. We were the better team till we tired.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 39
moosey_club
April 1, 2023, 8:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
Reflection comes at the end of the season....however...

Lack of decent striking / attacking options
Don't lose vs winning mindset
Substitutions

Three themes which have come up previously and the latter has dogged Hurst throughout his tenure(s).

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 39
chaos33
April 1, 2023, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from 137

UTM

This.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 39
April 1, 2023, 10:14pm
Guest User
A lot of sense on this thread. Well done all.  
Reply: 19 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reflection Time

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.