This thread currently has 2,625 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
MaccasBoots
April 2, 2023, 11:32am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +685
Gold Stars: 23
Very interesting that Hollywood's loan to Wrexham is accruing interest at 3% over BofE base rate - maybe they aren't as generous as Wrexham fans seem to think?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
MarinerDevil
April 2, 2023, 2:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,782
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from LN8Mariner
This is really interesting to read and to me identifies some well worn out threads!

A quick look at FFP and the SCMP [url]https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php[/url] show that with £3.1m wages “extra income” needs to do a lot of heavy lifting. If we take into account transfer income [fave thread 3  ] then this will help bring the wages into 55% or less as required.

Whilst the wages for SCMP only include player wages it highlights why we may not be able to break the bank for paying players’ wages [fave thread 2].

Taking these into account, a quick back of the envelope calculation shows that 7500 x 23 games needs an average of ~£415 per season to cover the £3.1m so unless we can move or increase capacity [fave thread 1a and 1b] then we need a lot of commercial interest or equity release (loans, benign or otherwise, cannot be included as income). An extra £1 per match per seat increases income by net gross (edit!) £175000 give or take so that’s one player on £3k per week and a 5% increase in seat prices… that’ll go down well!

So who’d sponsor the ground in its current state? I know they’re sponsoring the club in doing so but would anybody really want their name associated with a dilapidated Main Stand leaking water and money? I would also hazard a guess that this is why money is being “diverted” elsewhere currently where it does not come under the scrutiny of SCMP, e.g. training, pitch, ground improvements?

Just to note, Town's and Chesterfield's wage totals include social security and pension contributions, but I'm not sure if they're included in the SCMP calculation (if they were in League 2).

But to address your point, with a £4.4m turnover, our maximum playing budget under SCMP is ~£2.3m. We're probably already near that limit looking at our total wage bill. The £1m extra "football fortune" from the cup run will help a bit next season, but it shows how much we need to grow the commercial side of the business if we're going to compete at the top of this league or the one above... Or get a new stadium of course.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 7:00am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,979
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from MaccasBoots
Very interesting that Hollywood's loan to Wrexham is accruing interest at 3% over BofE base rate - maybe they aren't as generous as Wrexham fans seem to think?

Remember historic losses can be used to offset future profits for Corporation Tax purposes. There’s a huge difference between having interest charged against a loan on the accounts and the lender(s) actually receiving the interest money if/when the debt is settled.

It might seem quite optimistic to believe Wrexham could be profitable under the current ownership model, but you never know. Inflating losses now would help Corporation Tax avoidance if that ever happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 20
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 7:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Just to note, Town's and Chesterfield's wage totals include social security and pension contributions, but I'm not sure if they're included in the SCMP calculation (if they were in League 2).

But to address your point, with a £4.4m turnover, our maximum playing budget under SCMP is ~£2.3m. We're probably already near that limit looking at our total wage bill. The £1m extra "football fortune" from the cup run will help a bit next season, but it shows how much we need to grow the commercial side of the business if we're going to compete at the top of this league or the one above... Or get a new stadium of course.

FFP & SCMP is completely irrelevant because of the broad definition of turnover that the EFL use. It’s a complete waste of time. Owner donations and share issues are included. So owners can bankroll their club to whatever level they choose as long as it’s a share purchase or a donation and not a loan.

There’s no incentive to do the same in the NL (turn debt into shares) as there’s no FFP which is why you get eye watering losses. When these clubs reach the EFL the owner has an incentive to turn debt into shares as it helps the FFP calculation and allows free spending.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 20
GollyGTFC
April 3, 2023, 7:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

FFP & SCMP is completely irrelevant because of the broad definition of turnover that the EFL use. It’s a complete waste of time. Owner donations and share issues are included. So owners can bankroll their club to whatever level they choose as long as it’s a share purchase or a donation and not a loan.

There’s no incentive to do the same in the NL (turn debt into shares) as there’s no FFP which is why you get eye watering losses. When these clubs reach the EFL the owner has an incentive to turn debt into shares as it helps the FFP calculation and allows free spending.

Just read the original post. The Stockport owner did this when they became members of the EFL in June 2022.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 14 - 20
gtfc_chris
April 3, 2023, 7:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Winning promotion with no fees on players and 3rd in the wages table is a decent achievement I reckon.

That's third of the list of 3 clubs who provided a breakdown of their accounts. If I understand the OP right (please correct me if I'm wrong), the other teams haven't declared what and where their money was spent, so if I'm right that could mean we were lower down the list in terms of wages paid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
OddShapedBalls
April 3, 2023, 9:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 39
To be fair to Wrexham, for all their wild spunking of cash on Mullin and anyone else they could find, they didn't have too much of a gap in wages to us compared to what I imagined.

Big takeaway from that though is a club happy to lose £5 million.......winning the lottery might not be enough for me to invest in town after all lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
grimps
April 3, 2023, 9:29am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,130
Gold Stars: 46
I thought we’d be miles behind some of the other teams in wages.
Maybe a lot of our players still had their league contracts on higher wages ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
MarinerDevil
April 3, 2023, 9:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That's interesting, I suppose it's still relevant for us as our owners aren't going to fund the club through share issues (based on what they did last season). Stockwood also mentioned SCMP in his last interview which suggests we're constrained by it somewhat.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
MarinerDevil
April 3, 2023, 9:53am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_chris

That's third of the list of 3 clubs who provided a breakdown of their accounts. If I understand the OP right (please correct me if I'm wrong), the other teams haven't declared what and where their money was spent, so if I'm right that could mean we were lower down the list in terms of wages paid.

Correct. Most clubs didn't provide a figure for wages, but we can still compare ours to Chesterfield's.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2021/22 National League Financial Results

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.