3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 20, 2023, 9:13pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Hoping for a big turn out Saturday after the cup heroics , hopefully can get a better atmosphere going at home to .

They are only a couple of spots ahead of us to , so whatever happens Wednesday there will be the opportunity to climb a few places .

On another note I see Kiernan has mainly been on the bench for Hartlepool ,thought he would be utilised more with a team near the bottom .
Logged Online
Private Message
marinerjase
March 20, 2023, 9:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 147
I watched Hartlepool game on Saturday v Bradford..they were decent, didn’t play like a side near the bottom at all. Which is often the case this time of year..bottom sides suddenly hit form they haven’t had all season. Kemp played wide on the right, he’s in a rich vein of form, far better than Kiernan (no offence)

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 20
ska face
March 20, 2023, 9:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Read on a BBC article earlier that we are supposedly “out of the play off picture”. Might have given ourselves a lot to do, but we can certainly push on and give ourselves half a sniff. In the next 6 games we play teams 17th, 19th, 20th and 22nd in the form table (plus Mansfield twice in 7th).

We’ve got a decent squad, no reason we can’t give it a good go and see how the picture looks after Easter.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 20
chaos33
March 20, 2023, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,931
Gold Stars: 360
Absolutely agree Ska. I hope the mindset doesnt set in that we are pretty much done - not going down or up, because a tilt at the play offs isn’t out of the question. I know our form is inconsistent and has been all year, and our home record is rubbish, but we have games in hand. Any sort of a run - winning 4/5/6 games on the bounce and a late play for the top 6 isn’t inconceivable.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 20
Poojah
March 20, 2023, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
I’ll be honest, I hadn’t really looked at the top half of the table in quite some time as I had long written the play-offs off as a possibility. I wasn’t being intentionally defeatist about it either, it’s just seemed too long a shot for a few months now.

I’ve just taken another look. Wednesday night’s opponents Mansfield are currently 7th on PPG, and as a rudimentary barometer if we extrapolate that out over 46 games they look set for ~74 points. So that’s the approximate benchmark.

We’re currently on 45 points from 34 games, essentially meaning we likely need to accrue roughly another 30 points from our last 12 matches. That’s 10 wins and 2 defeats, or 9 wins and 3 draws. Effectively, we’d need to take two thirds of the points we have in our first 34 games from our last 12.

For the life of me, I can’t see that happening. We’d have to display form way over and above anything we have produced this season over just over a quarter of the season.

Not trying to put a dampener on things, it just looks like a stretch too far at this stage. Personally, I think a top half finish would be a noble aim and with our FA Cup run in the bag, a strong signal to prospective signings that the old, bottom-feeding Grimsby is no more.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 20
Abdul19
March 20, 2023, 10:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,565
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from marinerjase
Kemp played wide on the right, he’s in a rich vein of form, far better than Kiernan (no offence)

True.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 20
MarinerDevil
March 20, 2023, 10:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,754
Gold Stars: 80
12th place usually requires 60-65 points. Doncaster currently occupy that spot; their extrapolated PPG would give them 64 points. We'd need 20 points from 12 games to beat that, so W6 D2 would do it. I think that's a fairly realistic aim as we still have to play a number of teams below us in the form table, and would give us our strongest finishing position in the league since 2006, 17 years ago.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 20
DB
March 21, 2023, 6:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Poojah
I’ll be honest, I hadn’t really looked at the top half of the table in quite some time as I had long written the play-offs off as a possibility. I wasn’t being intentionally defeatist about it either, it’s just seemed too long a shot for a few months now.

I’ve just taken another look. Wednesday night’s opponents Mansfield are currently 7th on PPG, and as a rudimentary barometer if we extrapolate that out over 46 games they look set for ~74 points. So that’s the approximate benchmark.

We’re currently on 45 points from 34 games, essentially meaning we likely need to accrue roughly another 30 points from our last 12 matches. That’s 10 wins and 2 defeats, or 9 wins and 3 draws. Effectively, we’d need to take two thirds of the points we have in our first 34 games from our last 12.

For the life of me, I can’t see that happening. We’d have to display form way over and above anything we have produced this season over just over a quarter of the season.

Not trying to put a dampener on things, it just looks like a stretch too far at this stage. Personally, I think a top half finish would be a noble aim and with our FA Cup run in the bag, a strong signal to prospective signings that the old, bottom-feeding Grimsby is no more.

I agree with you. I honestly thought that the momentum of promotion would have carried us through this season. Unfortunately, our worrisome home form took a tremendous dip leaving us where we are in the table. I think we'll no end up just short of the play offs, which given our FA Cup performance is an acceptable season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 20
Mappers
March 21, 2023, 6:15am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

We would have to go on a run which we havent really achieved so far .

Only once have we gone on a decent unbeaten run ,which was after the first league game ,when we went 7 unbeaten after that its been a mish mash of form -we would also have to reel off a string of back to back wins ,which on previous form does look unlikely .

Realistically we will probably end up 12-16th but if we could play all the remaining games as cup finals you never know .

My main hope is a bit more on the floor football with attacking intent at home , now the pressure is off .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 20
Mappers
March 21, 2023, 6:19am
Champagne Drinker
We do still have some exciting games though -Bradford and Donny away (who we might outnumber on their own patch )
Mansfield at home who should bring a few
And then the wombles at home final day which should be a good occasion after the formalities that weekend.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 20
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Walsall Saturday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.