Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Places you've stayed abroad?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 43 Guests

Places you've stayed abroad?

This thread currently has 1,701 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 10, 2023, 12:55am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

Not counting transit places or day trips.

For me Republic of Ireland (Athlone) if that counts and Jersey. France (Paris), Spain (Tenerife, Minorca, Nerja)

Cyprus to visit my aunties and uncle, Limassol.

Turkey stayed in Calis Beach.

Emigrated to Brisbane Queensland in my early forties.

Just got back from staying in Kissimmee Florida (sons wedding)

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
cmackenzie4
February 10, 2023, 7:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Visited a lot of places whilst serving in the Royal Navy, most of Europe.

My favourite place I’ve visited is Madeira, we’ve been back there many times.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
grimsby pete
February 10, 2023, 3:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Visited most of Europe with frequent returns to France motoring holidays and Denmark visiting family. Went to Vegas and Hawiia while in USA.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
DB
February 10, 2023, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.47
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Many years ago my wife and I went to Corfu. The apartment was at the top of a very steep hill, so steep it had 2 double dog leg bends in it to get down to the village below.

My wife decided we needed milk etc and sent me off on foot! When I returned she asked me I had got everything to which I replied no. What have you got she asked?

A hire car was my reply. That hill was bloody steep. lol

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
chaos33
February 10, 2023, 8:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,970
Gold Stars: 360
Just 3 examples from me and all stunningly beautiful….

Iceland
Isle of Skye
Niagara, Canada

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
ginnywings
February 10, 2023, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from chaos33

Iceland
Isle of Skye
Niagara, Canada

Isle of Skye is amazing, but I'd recommend going out of season if you don't want to be tripping over Japanese and American tourists.

Mrs G has been to Iceland and loved it.

I think the most amazing thing I have seen is a helicopter flight over the Grand Canyon.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 10, 2023, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,886
Gold Stars: 178
Nerja , I mentioned this on a thread the other day is stunning. Stayed in puerto de mazzaron which is tranquil but will be very built up soon.

Prague closely followed by Barcelona great city breaks

Have done the usual tourist traps, Tenerife, gran canaria etc but, think it was only the weather that made the places stand out.
Turkey is really nice (not just for Christmas!) as is Tunisia though won’t be going back to either for a while!

Paris I hated. Bruges does amazing beers but is a bit boring.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
Maringer
February 11, 2023, 12:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,621
Gold Stars: 185
Most East European cities with the historical bits still standing are a pretty good visit if you get a chance one weekend. Good fun, either in the winter or the summer months. I've been to Tallinn, Prague, Krakow and Wroclaw and had a great time in each of them.

Belgium is the most civilised country I've visited and is undoubtedly a bit boring, but good for a weekend (I've stayed in Bruges a lot, plus Ghent, Antwerp and Brussels). Obviously helps that I like their beer!

Porto a great place to visit and I've heard very good things about Lisbon, also, even if I don't like their custard tarts.

Malta. Boring, more so than Belgium, but without the beer. Lots of churches, mind. They really love their churches.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
grimsby pete
February 11, 2023, 12:20am

Exile
Quoted from chaos33

Iceland
Isle of Skye
Niagara, Canada

Did you visit Grimsby while at Niagara ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
lukeo
February 11, 2023, 3:42am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
Madeira - lovely but not much to do

Singapore - unreal the way they live out their. The place is spotless and very busy.

Sydney - I was lucky enough to climb the harbour bridge at sunset. Unreal views. Also visited the ice bar, very interesting. Also, I've always wondered why the UK don't have something similar to RSL clubs. Its basically got everything under 1 roof- restaurants, bars, gambling/bingo/keno, games rooms, bowling etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 33
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 11, 2023, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,886
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from lukeo
Madeira - lovely but not much to do

Singapore - unreal the way they live out their. The place is spotless and very busy.

Sydney - I was lucky enough to climb the harbour bridge at sunset. Unreal views. Also visited the ice bar, very interesting. Also, I've always wondered why the UK don't have something similar to RSL clubs. Its basically got everything under 1 roof- restaurants, bars, gambling/bingo/keno, games rooms, bowling etc

They used to. There was a company called Dave and Busters. Used to go to one in Solihull when I was in Birmingham. They were good but way ahead of their time.

They still have them in America :
https://www.daveandbusters.com/us/en/home.html

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
chaos33
February 11, 2023, 11:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Did you visit Grimsby while at Niagara ?

I did yeah. 🙂
Also went to Toronto.
Been to several stunning parts of South Africa, especially the wine regions, and also lucky to have spent a lot of time in Andalusia and Mallorca plus central France. Oh and a fair bit of Jamaica.

I think that Torrin, on the Isle of Skye is my fav spot though.

Patagonia is where I’d love to go

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
Les Brechin
February 11, 2023, 11:49am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
I went to a fair few places before including Orlando, Budapest, St. Lucia, South Of France, Corfu, Benidorm but I'm a bit restricted now as I've been advised that I shouldn't fly for over 2 hours. I've been on 2 cruises recently though to The Norweigan Fjords and another that took in Spain, Portugal and The Channel Islands.

The Scottish Highlands is my current favourite trip including Skye.

I'm thinking of doing one of these guided train tours of Germany/Switzerland for my next trip.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
Rick12
February 11, 2023, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Portugal, France,Spain ,USA, Belgium,Israel.

Best place though by far was the Maldives. Paradise on earth .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
cmackenzie4
February 11, 2023, 12:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Talking about Scotland I’ve been to many beautiful places (which are very remote) which includes Glencoe (many times) Knoydart, Torridon and Skye but my favourite place out of them all is Sandwood bay, I think it’s my favourite because of the sea surroundings and remoteness as well as the planning and travelling to get up there, we ended up at Cape Wrath and Kervaig bothy, that was my favourite trip back in 2002

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
grimsby pete
February 11, 2023, 1:42pm

Exile
We have been to Scotland a few times and the scenery is stunning.

Once stayed near Ben Nevis but could not see it for 3 days because of low cloud and heavy rain.

Another time we had a log cabin on the shore of Loch Lomond we enjoy that a lot so did our dog.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
ginnywings
February 11, 2023, 6:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Talking about Scotland I’ve been to many beautiful places (which are very remote) which includes Glencoe (many times) Knoydart, Torridon and Skye but my favourite place out of them all is Sandwood bay, I think it’s my favourite because of the sea surroundings and remoteness as well as the planning and travelling to get up there, we ended up at Cape Wrath and Kervaig bothy, that was my favourite trip back in 2002

Me & Mrs G have walked to Sandwood Bay and it is as good as you say. The Singing Sands on the Ardnamurchan peninsula runs it close.

There are some truly stunning beaches in Scotland.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
cmackenzie4
February 12, 2023, 9:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Yes the Ardnamurchan peninsula is a beautiful place, it’s funny because a work colleague and me were having a discussion just last week about the most beautiful places in Scotland (he goes regularly with him being a forager and coracle maker) and he said that the Arndamurchan peninsula was his favourite place, I’ve only visited it once and when I was there it was blowing a gale and raining but I still saw the beauty of the place, there’s nothing like being in a place like that, it makes you feel alive and puts you in a nice place (mentally)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
Les Brechin
February 13, 2023, 11:10am

Quoted from cmackenzie4
Yes the Ardnamurchan peninsula is a beautiful place, it’s funny because a work colleague and me were having a discussion just last week about the most beautiful places in Scotland (he goes regularly with him being a forager and coracle maker) and he said that the Arndamurchan peninsula was his favourite place, I’ve only visited it once and when I was there it was blowing a gale and raining but I still saw the beauty of the place, there’s nothing like being in a place like that, it makes you feel alive and puts you in a nice place (mentally)

As you're probably aware Plockton is my favourite place in The Scottish Highlands. A picturesque village at the end of a dead-end on the banks of a loch with 2 award winning pubs and seafood restaurants.

I found the place by mistake a while back but have been back there about a dozen times now. Not been since before lockdown though so hoping to get up there again later this year.

Love Applecross and The Knoydart Peninsular too.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
chaos33
February 13, 2023, 12:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
All of those places in Scotland are fabulous. Always loved silver sands too. On Skye there’s a titchy place called Elgol - it’s not beautiful as such but it’s really atmospheric, especially if you get the tiny boat into Loch Coruisk….with the towering Cuillin spires acting like an amphitheatre.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 13, 2023, 12:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
I'm really lucky to have visited a few places. I love France especially Brittany although I've never been to Paris. Holland is so laid back and there are great towns and cities away from the usual Amsterdam. Germany and Austria are really nice. Spain but I've recently discovered North Western Spain and it's so much nicer than the Med coast. As a couple we started going on cruises 10 years ago and have visited a lot of places on day visits but also had extended stays in Venice (loved it, but very touristy), St. Petersburg (amazing city) and my favourite, New York.

A special mention for my fave European city, Antwerp. I spent a year living and working there and it knocks spots off Bruges for history, architecture and culture.

I spent the first two years of my life in Sydney but can't remember any of it.

So many places in the UK. Though I think my next UK holiday will be spent in Speyside or on Islay.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
cmackenzie4
February 13, 2023, 1:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from chaos33
All of those places in Scotland are fabulous. Always loved silver sands too. On Skye there’s a titchy place called Elgol - it’s not beautiful as such but it’s really atmospheric, especially if you get the tiny boat into Loch Coruisk….with the towering Cuillin spires acting like an amphitheatre.

I walked from Elgol to Loch Coruisk (the jewel in the Cuillin crown) we stayed at the bothy (Camasunary) on the way, what a place Loch Coruisk is, we camped there three nights, it was very atmospheric indeed.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Les Brechin
February 13, 2023, 2:06pm

I'm really lucky to have visited a few places. I love France especially Brittany although I've never been to Paris. Holland is so laid back and there are great towns and cities away from the usual Amsterdam. Germany and Austria are really nice. Spain but I've recently discovered North Western Spain and it's so much nicer than the Med coast. As a couple we started going on cruises 10 years ago and have visited a lot of places on day visits but also had extended stays in Venice (loved it, but very touristy), St. Petersburg (amazing city) and my favourite, New York.

A special mention for my fave European city, Antwerp. I spent a year living and working there and it knocks spots off Bruges for history, architecture and culture.

I spent the first two years of my life in Sydney but can't remember any of it.

So many places in the UK. Though I think my next UK holiday will be spent in Speyside or on Islay.

Went to a beer festival in Antwerp last year and it's a fantastic City. Didn't really get that much time to explore properly, so hoping to go back for a bit longer stay soon.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
grimsby pete
February 14, 2023, 6:41pm

Exile
When we were younger the wife and I walked from one side of Malta to the other.

Did not see much but it was bloody hot !!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Maringer
February 14, 2023, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,621
Gold Stars: 185
When me and my Dad went some years back, we walked from St Paul's Bay down the coast to Valletta. Didn't take all that long and some parts of the walk weren't particularly scenic but it brought home to me just what a small island it really is. An incredibly history to the place with all the things that have happened there, considering it is little more than a speck in the Med. I thought Valletta was an impressive place due to the fortifications and Mdina was very scenic as well, but the rest of it was just massively too built up. Loads of cars, buses and other traffic everywhere as well. Reminded me of Jersey in that regard - but much hotter!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
aldi_01
February 16, 2023, 7:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Anyone in Italy is amazing and all very unique.

Holland is cool as is Belgium.

Travelled across various parts of America, love San Francisco and the west coast although LA is like marmite for a lot of folk.

The north shore on Oahu, Hawaii is amazing, genuinely amazing and some mega street food. To be honest, Oahu in general is the greatest place I’ve ever been.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
cmackenzie4
February 16, 2023, 10:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
I’ve been to Italy whilst serving in the Navy (1991) we went to Bari, Brindisi and Ancona, they were coastal ports with not that much to see, we’ve always fancied the Amalfi coast and that’s an holiday we will do eventually, the scenery looks breathtaking. Anyone else been there ?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
aldi_01
February 16, 2023, 11:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I’ve been to Italy whilst serving in the Navy (1991) we went to Bari, Brindisi and Ancona, they were coastal ports with not that much to see, we’ve always fancied the Amalfi coast and that’s an holiday we will do eventually, the scenery looks breathtaking. Anyone else been there ?

Amalfi coast is amazing, cracking views. As with anywhere in Italy, things can look tatty but then you realise economically they’re copulated and they’re not that arsed, they’d rather spend time with family, on nice food etc rather than make a building look fancy.

Rome, however, is amazing.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
barralad
February 17, 2023, 10:33am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from cmackenzie4

My late wife and I had our honeymoon on the Amalfi coast (staying in Sorrento) It is the most beautiful place I've ever been by some distance. We were advised to do the trip up the coast by service bus. It was an amazing experience. Ravello and Positano are stunning. We walked down to the harbour and got the water taxi back to Sorrento hugging the coastline with the cliffs. Never seen water so blue.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
LH
February 19, 2023, 12:07am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,554
Sorrento was probably my favourite holiday I’ve had. Food, the history of Pompeii on the doorstep and views of the Med, the bay of Naples and Vesuvius all truly outstanding. Capri was worth a visit if anyone goes. C€10 on the ferry.

I’ve been to France a few times as a kid (Brittany, Normandy, Dordogne, Gascogne) and Dallas TX a couple of times. As an adult: Greece (Kefalonia, Rhodes), Spain (Andalusia, Lanzarote), the Algarve, and Kenya too (for ‘work’).

Best weather was Rhodes, probably the most to do too.
Best food was Sorrento by a country mile.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
gtfc_chris
February 21, 2023, 12:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,494
Gold Stars: 115
Similar to cmackenzie4 I'm fortunate to have got around the world through the RAF. Hard to pick a favourite place as many are good for different reasons. Iceland, although a bit cold was really nice and we managed to find time to head to Blue Lagoon and a night out in Reykjavik. Best night out has to be San Diego in the Gaslamp Quarter, so these two probably top the list but with a fair few other places not far behind.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
FishOutOfWater
February 22, 2023, 12:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I paid for my daughter and son-in-law to go there as a post-wedding present

They'd already had a honeymoon in the Caribbean but as I couldn't think of what else to get them I got them a "mini-moon"

The tales of their exploits and the photos / videos they took tell me enough Chris - it seems absolutely beautiful  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 33
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
February 22, 2023, 2:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,830
Gold Stars: 555
Re: Amalfi coast…

I’m struggling to think of a more beautiful coastline; certainly that I’ve been to. Lofoten and Senja in Northern Norway perhaps.

I’ve stayed in Amalfi town twice, as an adult. To get the best out of a visit I’d recommend staying on the actual Costiera Amalfitana, rather than travelling in from Sorrento (***) or Salerno.

Amalfi, Ravello and Positano are stunning, although becoming more and more expensive by the year. That’s before you start paying for the world’s best lemons, the best tomatoes I’ve ever had from Massa Lubrense, washed down with bottles of Taurasi.

The Sentiero degli Dei (Path of the Gods) - I’ve walked it from Amalfi to the starting point in Bomerano and then done the actual walk on to Positano. Definitely take the boat back rather than being subjected to one of the most uncomfortable bus journeys I’ve ever been on.

I’ve only ever visited the Amalfi coast in Apr/May/Jun/Sep. I know people who’ve visited in August and hated it. It gets so busy and is sadly being spoiled by mass tourism.

I stayed in a hotel in Sorrento when I was a kid. Easter 95, with my parents and grandparents.

Three generations of the same family. Tension. Lots of tension. False smiles and more tension.

My Dad, livid at missing a Bank Holiday home match against Barnsley, eventually mellowed when he hunted down a three day copy of The Mail, to find out Town had beaten The Tykes 1-0.

Michael Aspel was reportedly staying in the hotel next to ours. My Mum hanging around the guarded entrance like a This Is Your Life groupie; craning her neck for a glimpse of the silver topped TV star.

The winds. The April libeccio winds. At times, Sorrento was more like a bracing Donna Nook than southern Italy. One strong gust flung the toggle of my Dad’s ‘Norris The Rubberman’ cagoule into his mother-in-law’s front teeth. An expensive, painful and long visit to a Naples emergency dentist did little to help the family tension.

Twenty-two years later, I returned to Sorrento with my mother-in-law, and my new family, on a day trip from Amalfi. It felt like package tour central. Tourist menus everywhere, sloppy, overcooked pasta, no sign of Michael Aspel. I made my excuses and whisked Mrs Voles back to Amalfi as fast as I could, to make sweet love under the leaves of a bitter, lemon tree.

*** I suppose one of the few benefits of staying in Sorrento is that’s it’s easier to visit Naples, Versuvius, Pompei, Caserta, Cassino, Capri, Ischia etc. You’ll still miss out though.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
GYinScuntland
February 26, 2023, 11:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,252
Gold Stars: 98
Cēsis in Latvia surprised me, about 60 miles from Riga.
We got the choo choo from the capital and I think the next stop was Moscow.
About the  same size as Brigg and I'm sure I heard it was the 9th largest town in the country.
We went down to the Gauja River one day through a ski resort and a steep forest to the river at the bottom of the valley.
Absolutely stunning scenery.
That in itself was bizarre as we hit the place during a heatwave in summer when the ski resort was obviously deserted.
Walking along the riverbank we were joined by a 'dog'.
It's a wolf I insisted only to be poo pooed by my mate until entering a clearing some geezer came out of a cabin, looked at the dog, backed back into it and slammed the door.
Yupz, wolf and we did the off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Places you've stayed abroad?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.