Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2023, 5:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,521
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from pen penfras

I agree with all of that, but doesn't that point to a bigger issue, that we aren't capable of being financially stable and successful at this level? At least not with what we currently have.

Fenty invested minimal into everything and we just about broke even. That means if more was invested in other things then less would have been spent on the playing squad. And I don't think anybody on here would consider the last 20 years as a success.

So how do we stay self sufficient and have football success?

By making the club as a 'business' more investable, something Fenty never did, local businesses wanted nothing to do with GTFC, bar Youngs, who probably paid peanuts to be the official club sponsor.
We ain't going to become an overnight success story, that is for sure, but I can almost guarantee we'll be worth a darn site more than the 975k 1878 paid for what was a ramshackle football club in 10 years time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 232
ginnywings
January 15, 2023, 5:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,152
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

I agree with all of that, but doesn't that point to a bigger issue, that we aren't capable of being financially stable and successful at this level? At least not with what we currently have.

Fenty invested minimal into everything and we just about broke even. That means if more was invested in other things then less would have been spent on the playing squad. And I don't think anybody on here would consider the last 20 years as a success.

So how do we stay self sufficient and have football success?

With careful and planned recruitment. Identifying players that can be acquired within our means and can be improved to a standard that makes them a regular in the team and good enough to play at the level we operate at.

Then hopefully, every now and again, one or two of them improve to a degree that bigger clubs come calling and pay a fee for them. McAtee and Pollock for instance.

Doing this is a long term approach and needs the backroom staff and facilities we have previously lacked. Problem being that this takes time and fans are generally an impatient bunch who think we should just skip this step and lob a load of money at a ready made replacement.

Seems to me that the board are taking the long term, sustainable view, whereas the fans are becoming restless and want it now.

I'm cool with what they are doing, others not so much, but I figure we've waited this long to rise above mid table league 2, that I can wait s bit longer. After all, if you chuck money at a problem, it can go very wrong, very quickly. We've seen plenty of examples.

Hopefully, with more backroom staff, better training facilities and the new recruitment guy  on board, we can start to move in the right direction.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 232
Norseman
January 15, 2023, 11:38pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +287
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from Norseman
Reading some of  the comments about 1878 on here and Twitter .It does make you wonder why people invest time ,effort and funds into a football club .We are going through a dip in the league with 2 in 10 wins .But can anyone honestly say we have not had some success since they took over .No one expected us to even be in league 2 this quickly .So let's just pull together .I accept some may have concerns but let's put them aside and try to look forward positively .It will really make your life more enjoyable 😁

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 232
24 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread Swindon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.