MuddyWaters
November 11, 2022, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Sandford1981

I have a long narrow kitchen as I look into it with French doors leading into the garden. The units are fitted uninterrupted until about 10 inches from the far external wall which is where the problem is.
Typically this space is used for infil, towel rail or custom  wine storage or was when I designed kitchens.
For whatever reason it was left blank here and So it obstructs from gaining access to the offending wall from the inside.
I used a depth gauge to ensure I drilled to the necessary depth after measuring the thickness of the wall. It’s all in and I’ve filled in and re-pointed so it’s just a matter of waiting now.

Old Codger do you have any experience of these rods then?

The rods will dry the wall as long as it’s rising damp above the level of the rods. If you still have moisture in a few weeks time, you might have a problem with moisture coming from somewhere else. Keep an eye on it.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Sandford1981
November 12, 2022, 6:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The rods will dry the wall as long as it’s rising damp above the level of the rods. If you still have moisture in a few weeks time, you might have a problem with moisture coming from somewhere else. Keep an eye on it.

Ok I will do. Thank you!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Sandford1981
July 17, 2023, 4:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Does anybody know what the going ‘day rate’ is for a builder?
I recently had a plasterer round to quote for a job and he said he was £200 per day for Labour. I assume a builder will be more than that but that’s a best guess!

Cheers

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
ginnywings
July 17, 2023, 7:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,146
Gold Stars: 548
Depends what you mean by builder. It's not a trade as such, but most builders will have a primary trade and be able to do other jobs to a competent level, if they are any good of course. I'm primarily a joiner, but I can do other trades.

Most building trades charge £200 a day now and some as much as £250.

Saying that, a lot will just give you a price for labour and materials and you won't know what they are making per day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
chaos33
July 17, 2023, 7:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Junior doctor £14 p/h x 8  = £122 per day. Just saying.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Sandford1981
July 17, 2023, 7:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Depends what you mean by builder. It's not a trade as such, but most builders will have a primary trade and be able to do other jobs to a competent level, if they are any good of course. I'm primarily a joiner, but I can do other trades.

Most building trades charge £200 a day now and some as much as £250.

Saying that, a lot will just give you a price for labour and materials and you won't know what they are making per day.

We’ve had a quote to put in a suspended floor in our front room. 4 sleeper walls of one brick in a bed of mortar, DPM, wooden plate, joists and then chipboard. The bill is itemised and the materials come in at £680 and the Labour has been priced at £1400. I have already taken up all the old bricks, plates,rotten joists, rotten floorboards and skirting. I have unblocked the air bricks and got rid of 4”inches of dust and debris across the entire room. It’s literally come in and start the job.
We thought that the Labour was  excessive and I was trying to gauge it was all.

Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Sandford1981
July 17, 2023, 7:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

You know a junior doctor that’s a brickie on the side?

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
ginnywings
July 17, 2023, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Sandford1981

We’ve had a quote to put in a suspended floor in our front room. 4 sleeper walls of one brick in a bed of mortar, DPM, wooden plate, joists and then chipboard. The bill is itemised and the materials come in at £680 and the Labour has been priced at £1400. I have already taken up all the old bricks, plates,rotten joists, rotten floorboards and skirting. I have unblocked the air bricks and got rid of 4”inches of dust and debris across the entire room. It’s literally come in and start the job.
We thought that the Labour was  excessive and I was trying to gauge it was all.

That's a job I've done countless times, although the sleeper walls were still in situ and just required a dpm and wooden wallplate bedding on.

I once moved into a house, only to find a big hole in the floor which had been hidden by a rug and a piano on viewing. I started to investigate and 4 hours later, I had no floors or joists in either the front room or living room. Bit of a nightmare to say the least.

I have to say that the labour does sound a tad high to me, as does the materials cost, but I'm a bit out of touch with prices nowadays being semi retired and only taking on small jobs nowadays.

When you say the sleeper walls have one brick; do you mean one brick in height, which is unusual, or one brick single skin wall a few bricks high?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
Maringer
July 17, 2023, 8:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,556
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Sandford1981

You know a junior doctor that’s a brickie on the side?

Don't give the government any ideas! They'll be getting the doctors and nurses to build those 40 new hospitals we keep hearing about when they are off shift as a wonderful new 'efficiency'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
ginnywings
July 17, 2023, 8:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from chaos33

Yep, It's all wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › D.I.Y and Trades

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.