2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
October 27, 2022, 6:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Who do you think was the best Prime Minister since WW2, Attlee was the first followed by 16 others. And the worst

5 Labour, Attlee, Wilson, Callaghan, Blair, Brown

12 Tory, Churchill, Eden, Macmillan, Douglas-Hume, Heath, Thatcher, Major, Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss, Sunak

Ok, many of you have disagreed with me in the past but for me Harold Wilson, whom I was able to vote for in his 3rd and 4th terms in office.

As for the worst, well it will take some doing to surpass Truss who managed to f ck the nation up in a few days.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
OddShapedBalls
October 27, 2022, 10:51am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
Worst has to be Heath.  When even David Icke is correct about you you know it's bad : https://www.independent.co.uk/.....-abuse-a7588101.html

As for the best, I've only lived from Thatcher onwards so it's definitely a case of the least worst. Blair's first term was full of optimism and economic growth, increased spending etc so if we ignore the 2nd/3rd terms I'll go with him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Limerick Mariner
October 28, 2022, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,720
Gold Stars: 137
The best PM from one election to the next has to be Blair followed by Wilson (1st term).

Best Tory, unlike above, I'll say Heath as he had the vision to take us into the Common Market, which more than anything has transformed this country from a relatively backward-looking nation, partly obsessed with WW2, into the entrepreneurial, diverse, socially liberal country that Blair helped take foward, until the country got taken over by right-wing reactionaries.

Next best Tory - John Major - started the NI peace process.

Worst - Truss, then Johnson, then Thatcher, then May, then Cameron.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
chaos33
October 28, 2022, 5:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The best PM from one election to the next has to be Blair followed by Wilson (1st term).

Best Tory, unlike above, I'll say Heath as he had the vision to take us into the Common Market, which more than anything has transformed this country from a relatively backward-looking nation, partly obsessed with WW2, into the entrepreneurial, diverse, socially liberal country that Blair helped take foward, until the country got taken over by right-wing reactionaries.

Next best Tory - John Major - started the NI peace process.

Worst - Truss, then Johnson, then Thatcher, then May, then Cameron.

Very strong evidence that Heath was a paedophile. You might want to reconsider.

I’ll go Harold Wilson for the post war social contract and Major as the ‘best’ Tory leader, as a moderate and player in the NI peace process. Why on earth he would blemish his own record by cavorting with the hateful liar and sycophant, Edwina Curry is beyond me.

As an extra - I’d say that Tony Benn and Chris Bryant are 2 people who would’ve made excellent Labour prime ministers, (Bryant still could I guess) and Rory Stewart would’ve been a good ‘centre right’ leader as a warm, fair and intelligent/knowledgeable man.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Limerick Mariner
October 28, 2022, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Very strong evidence that Heath was a paedophile. You might want to reconsider.

Better do so quickly then, hadn't clicked on that link and had forgotten about the allegations - good old cricket-loving John Major then...

Many might baulk at Thatcher not being considered the worst, but at least she was competent and didn't take us out of the EU, which will be shown to be one of the greatest acts of self-harm in the future. Agree on Rory Stewart, Benn had many great qualities but was against the Common Market. His son, Hilary Benn would have been a good labour leader instead of Corbyn, who may have been able to help keep the country at least in the EEA and Customs Union with an alliance with the Tory Centre and Lib Dems, when May was running a minority government with the DUP fascists
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
chaos33
October 28, 2022, 7:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
The ‘common market’ was a different beast to the modern EU. Not sure what Benn would’ve made of it now. His reason for being outside of it were sound though - he wanted a proper system of public ownership and investment in every one of our assets.

Thatcher knew we were better off economically in the EU and she played that card well. She also knew that the idea that we were somehow ‘answerable’ to them or subservient to them and were forced to squander control of borders or take laws from them was an illusion and an ideological lie. She knew we were better off at the top table, having a say, dictating the game in the biggest free market in the world. Those that sold the population a load of lies that suggested otherwise have conned the ill informed. I’m no Thatcher fan - far from it. What she did in government was hateful and cynical and heartless and destructive - but not as boneheaded and self harming as this collection of appalling liars, bigots and idiots. She knew what was ‘right’ economically at the time. Now, we can’t talk about it. We can’t fix it. We apparently can’t review and reconsider because all parties are scared of being called undemocratic.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
Limerick Mariner
October 28, 2022, 8:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
The ‘common market’ was a different beast to the modern EU. Not sure what Benn would’ve made of it now. His reason for being outside of it were sound though - he wanted a proper system of public ownership and investment in every one of our assets.

Thatcher knew we were better off economically in the EU and she played that card well. She also knew that the idea that we were somehow ‘answerable’ to them or subservient to them and were forced to squander control of borders or take laws from them was an illusion and an ideological lie. She knew we were better off at the top table, having a say, dictating the game in the biggest free market in the world. Those that sold the population a load of lies that suggested otherwise have conned the ill informed. I’m no Thatcher fan - far from it. What she did in government was hateful and cynical and heartless and destructive - but not as boneheaded and self harming as this collection of appalling liars, bigots and idiots. She knew what was ‘right’ economically at the time. Now, we can’t talk about it. We can’t fix it. We apparently can’t review and reconsider because all parties are scared of being called undemocratic.

Can't argue with any of that. As you can probably tell I think social liberalism is a fundamental good, and each step in that direction is a step forward for humanity. The right of a young person of any race, man, woman, straight, gay, trans to get on a train and go anywhere in the EU and work and enjoy cultural and expressive freedom is, whilst not work perfect (Hungary!), certainly the least sh!t cross border freedom of scale in the world. Nearly every one of the countries in the EU and EEA is in the top echelons of least sh!t democracies along with NZ, Aus, Canada, Japan, South Korea and the odd other small country (Uruguay?). This was taken away from our young people by a mass leave vote of dribbling pensioners puppets controlled by a right wing sect and a few press barons. My kids can all get Irish passports - I've told them to get on and do it. Irish unity may be getting nearer thanks to Johnson's biggest lie -  listen to Sinn Fein and then the DUP swivel eye loons, there is only one side of that divide spouting hate speil now.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
chaos33
October 28, 2022, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Agreed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
barralad
October 28, 2022, 10:30pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Harold Wilson was just a brilliant intuitive politician. He united the Labour Party (no mean feat) and had an innate ability to read the room. One of his biggest achievements was to keep the UK out of the incredibly damaging Vietnam War despite huge pressure from the Americans.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
chaos33
October 29, 2022, 5:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Absolutely. Wish we had him now!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Best PM since WW2

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.