Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans forum.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 118 Guests

Fans forum.

This thread currently has 4,237 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Simon
October 4, 2022, 4:20pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from DB

Now postponed as RH have staff shortages due to illness.

https://gtfc.co.uk/fans-forum-postponed/

Covid numbers are rising again, everyone i talk to has a virus of some sorts at the minute and it's only going to get worse. We have 8 members of staff off work this week anymore and we will have to start shutting down so hold onto your pants we could be in for another rocky ride through the winter

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
Poojah
October 4, 2022, 4:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,665
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Simon

Covid numbers are rising again, everyone i talk to has a virus of some sorts at the minute and it's only going to get worse. We have 8 members of staff off work this week anymore and we will have to start shutting down so hold onto your pants we could be in for another rocky ride through the winter

Or it’s that transitional period from summer into winter where people always start picking up seasonal illnesses having had little exposure to them for the past 6 months…

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
October 4, 2022, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Simon

I think it's because of a change of seasons. Funnily enough it happens every single year - even before social media was invented!

Talk of lockdown is just ridiculous.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
jimgtfc
October 4, 2022, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Simon

People still test?? Let’s be honest here, they’re only testing in the hope for a positive result and some time off work. I work in the NHS and “Covid sickies” are rife.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
aldi_01
October 4, 2022, 5:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Simon

Start of a new school year? Transition from, what was a glorious summer to autumn? I wouldn’t worry about covid, if you’d never heard of it people would be buying some beechams, having a lemsip and sniffing a lot.

I’m genuinely baffled as to why people are still testing? Some of us never did but appreciate that others did, I can’t believe people are still doing it.

I’m pleased they’ve cancelled it as I wasn’t able to go and I feel I need to in order to cleanse my soul from the last one…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
October 4, 2022, 11:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from Simon

And the winner of bedwetter of the week, congratulations

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
Simon
October 5, 2022, 7:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
I'm not talking about shutting the country down i'm talking about my business at Elsham, we employ 28 people and half of them are now off work poorly, our machinery can't operate on its own

Hope that clears up the confusion

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
lew chaterleys lover
October 5, 2022, 7:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Simon
I'm not talking about shutting the country down i'm talking about my business at Elsham, we employ 28 people and half of them are now off work poorly, our machinery can't operate on its own

Hope that clears up the confusion

It's a seasonal virus. They will be back next week. No rocky winter ahead.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
Lost in Lincoln
October 5, 2022, 10:10am
Formerly siy2k5
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +386
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Simon

Or maybe, just the usual bugs that usually start going round when the kids go back to school...

Has happened forever.

First game: 7/5/88 Aldershot (h) 1-1 (R)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 24
diehardmariner
October 6, 2022, 10:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
It isn't just a case of seasonal virus.

We've been incubated for the last two winters so our immune system is absolutely non-existent.  What may previously have felt just like a sniffle or a cold will feel worse as your body is learning how to fight it again.  

Simple analogy, in previous years you've always had a fully trained and skilled army fighting against invaders, successfully and with minimal effort.  After two years of resting and feasting, the said army is fat, old and well out of tune.  It's going to take more effort for said army to defeat the invaders.

I don't think anyone has remotely suggested a return to another lockdown, that simply won't happen.  Even if it was mandated, it would be met with instant rejection by the public so that it would be rendered pointless.  If for nothing else, the revelations of Government not sticking to previous rules have made sure it would never stick.

But the numbers are rising again.  More and more people are getting the new strain of Covid.  As with any virus, it'll affect people differently. Some people are lucky and they get it, have a runny nose for a few days and that's it.  Others aren't so fortunate.  I somehow avoided getting Covid for the first two years and was convinced I was one of the lucky people who had natural immunity.  Perhaps arrogantly I also thought that as a young(ish), fit, healthy and very active man I would be able to shake anything off with a shake of the head.  Then in April I got it and I was absolutely done for.  For two days I couldn't stop shivering, was struggling to draw breath, felt like I'd had the excrement kicked out of me, even talking was an effort.  I was in the middle of training for a full-distance triathlon (2.4mile swim, 112mile bike ride and 26.2mile run for those not aware).  At this point the training was more or less on track.  5 days before I tested positive I'd done an 18 mile run and felt incredibly comfortable, well above scheduled race pace and had to stop myself from going further even though everything felt fine.  

It took 6 weeks after Covid for me to manage a very steady 5k without having to stop and grab breath.

I've had flu before, I've had virus' before....none of them were like that.  

We're heading into a ridiculously harsh winter.  Predictions are suggesting it may be a real cold one. We're in the midst of a cost of living crisis in which people can't afford to eat or heat, with a choice between the two often made.  If people can't eat, they're vulnerable to virus and their immunity will decrease too.  If they can't heat then they're vuln....you get the picture.  The support schemes from the Government are farcical and my honest belief is that we're going to see people killed as a result of their negligence.  Add all this to our lowered immunity and it's a worryingly perfect storm.

Will some people use any opportunity as one to swing the lead?  Yes, of course.  But that doesn't mean the danger isn't real.  I'm definitely worried about what's to come for a hell of a lot of people.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fans forum.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.