HertsGTFC
September 23, 2022, 9:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I'd rather Scott Parker in charge than the current buffoon!..

F**k me you must have started early. He won't have a parachute payment to get England back to the next level of the Nations League like he did at his last club job.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 101
pontoonlew
September 23, 2022, 9:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,088
Gold Stars: 178
This has been building for years now. Southgate has picked up the best generation of footballers we’ve possibly ever had and slowly choked all of the excitement out of them over a sustained period of time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 101
ginnywings
September 23, 2022, 9:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from LH

Invalid answer. I want a name (preferably less hilarious than Scott Parker).

There isn't one. We've tried every kind of manager there is and we haven't won a Trophy for over 50 years.

Fans always think a change of manager will do the trick, but it never does, which sort of suggests the players aren't good enough, or good enough in sufficient numbers. Our defence is second rate on a world stage.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 101
LH
September 23, 2022, 9:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,564
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Graham Potter would probably have been my pick but we missed the chance to get him..

I’d have to agree with this. Of all teams to move to Chelsea is probably the worst for his career if it doesn’t go to plan in the first 18 months or so. The point of my question was that there really isn’t anyone about. The FA shat the bed before WC2018 and sacked Hodgson for.. err… Gareth Southgate.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 101
HertsGTFC
September 23, 2022, 9:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH
Go on then I’ll indulge you all: who comes in as England manager tomorrow and wins them the World Cup?

Up until the last month I'd have like to have seen Steve Cooper involved as he had 5 years in the set up prior to managing Swansea in 2019 and did a great job with Forest last year in terms of making player feel good and  getting the best out of them. He's about to face the biggest tests of his career now though of he can blend all the new faces at the City ground to keep them in the Premier League this season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 101
GrimRob
September 23, 2022, 10:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
The qualification rollovers lull us into a false sense of security as we breeze through them in second gear. The Nations League pitted us against the best sides, who we invariably fail to beat, but now we play them more often it's more apparent that we are not world beaters. Now we've been relegated the opposition will get a bit easier again. We'll get through the group stages for the WC but won't last much longer unless we fluke an easy draw like last time.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 101
Maringer
September 23, 2022, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,633
Gold Stars: 186
You have to look for the positives. After relegation from the top league following a frankly pathetic set of performances, at least we'll have a different selection of pointless fixtures to play next time around.

Too many players either well out of form or simply just not good enough at the moment. We're utterly reliant on either scoring from a set piece or for Kane to do something with no obvious options for alternatives up front. If he gets injured, what are we going to do? I don't have a clue and I suspect that Southgate doesn't, either.

A bit worried that time seems to be catching up with Walker who has been pretty reliable defensively in recent years, but he was sloppy for their goal today. I don't think Pope is good enough for the top level and Pickford has his ups and downs as well. Eric Dier's 46th cap tonight, apparently. Crikey. Maguire did OK but he's nowhere near his best. James is just lazy, I'm afraid. Lots of ability but spends most of his time jogging around. I'm not quite sure why he sweats so much with such little effort. Saka looked lost at wing-back. I'd have started Shaw and then put Saka on later on. Bellingham looks a very capable young player and I thought he might have won a penalty after the clumsy challenge which knocked him onto his back. Rice doesn't seem to be at his best and Foden struggles to show his ability at international level, possibly because of the position where he's playing. Sterling is just not the threat he was last summer.

I think our best chance is to have another poor result on Monday and we can then find ourselves as seriously struggling underdogs at the World Cup, which might actually benefit us!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 101
Northbank Mariner
September 23, 2022, 10:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from HertsGTFC

F**k me you must have started early. He won't have a parachute payment to get England back to the next level of the Nations League like he did at his last club job.

Sarcasm my friend, it was sarcasm!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 101
Maringer
September 23, 2022, 10:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,633
Gold Stars: 186
Forgot to say, Grealish is good at winning free-kicks, but is he ever going to do anything else? Winning free-kicks is all well and good if you're going to do something from them, but we're not at the moment and we're never going to build up a head of steam if he's on his backside to win a free-kick every time he gets the ball.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very skilful player, but he needs to achieve more than just making life slightly awkward for the opposition defenders. Make the pass that achieves something rather than win the free-kick that doesn't.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 101
HertsGTFC
September 23, 2022, 10:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Sarcasm my friend, it was sarcasm!

Fair point, I get it now.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 101
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Italy v England / England v Germany

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.