Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 61 Guests

Ryan Bennett

This thread currently has 61,502 views. Print
32 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Trawler
September 22, 2022, 6:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Even if he’s only training with us and it goes no further than this what an amazing influence to have around the football club right now.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
headingly_mariner
September 22, 2022, 6:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,264
Gold Stars: 113
I think he will probably end up signing. The only problem is we've got an embarrassment of riches in his position.

If only it was a primo centre forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 317
Davec
September 22, 2022, 6:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Hurst is probably wanting him to keep fit as he's his first signing at Rotherham?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 317
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,118
Gold Stars: 1,488
Hypothetical question (for now); Bennett knocks on the manager’s door and says he’s willing to take £1,500 a week to play for Town on a one-year deal. What would you do?

One the one hand, you’d be getting a 32-year old centre half presumably still capable of playing in the second tier and arguably one of if not the best defender in the division.

On the flip side, you’d have to leave two of Waterfall, Smith and Maher out the side (plus Pearson), when we’ve already got the second best defensive record in the league, and risk upsetting the apple cart.

There is a course a third-option of moving to a back three but that’s potentially even more disruptive to our flow.

Do you reckon he’s any good as a target man?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 317
Trawler
September 22, 2022, 6:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from headingly_mariner
I think he will probably end up signing. The only problem is we've got an embarrassment of riches in his position.

If only it was a primo centre forward.

We can field a B Team of defenders in the pizza platter shield.  

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 317
pontoonlew
September 22, 2022, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,702
Gold Stars: 162
If he played literally any other position he’d be an absolute must to sign, but I can’t for the life of me see how we fit him in with 3 quality options already for 2 positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 317
Poojah
September 22, 2022, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +75 / -11
Approval: +29,118
Gold Stars: 1,488
Just to add to the potential conundrum, a smidge over two years ago he was signed by and playing for Leicester City, who finished 5th in the Premier League (missing out on Champions League qualification on the final day).

He’s not Danny Collins, who was 36 and hadn’t played in the PL for 5 years prior to signing him (and still did alright by the way), he’s a different prospect altogether.

The more I think about it the more I feel if money wasn’t a blocker then you’d have to do it. He’s the same age as Luke Waterfall, who has never played above League One (and even then only fleetingly). If you’re prepared to throw sentiment out of the window, it’s a no-brainer in terms of ability.  

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 317
gtfc98
September 22, 2022, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,022
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Poojah
Just to add to the potential conundrum, a smidge over two years ago he was signed by and playing for Leicester City, who finished 5th in the Premier League (missing out on Champions League qualification on the final day).

He’s not Danny Collins, who was 36 and hadn’t played in the PL for 5 years prior to signing him (and still did alright by the way), he’s a different prospect altogether.

The more I think about it the more I feel if money wasn’t a blocker then you’d have to do it. He’s the same age as Luke Waterfall, who has never played above League One (and even then only fleetingly). If you’re prepared to throw sentiment out of the window, it’s a no-brainer in terms of ability.  

Pretty much sums up my feelings on it. If he's available and not expensive it's a must.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 317
hampshiremariner
September 22, 2022, 7:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,006
Gold Stars: 35
Personally, I would not disturb the pairing of Waterfall and Smith for anyone. Why have we won four on the bounce away? Pundits say it is solidity at the back which allows us to soak up pressure and hit opponents on the break. Waterfall is our leader and the team look up to him. Leave well alone!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 317
GhostDan
September 22, 2022, 7:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Very very difficult decision for PH, if he ever has to make it. Totally agree with what Lew said, anywhere else on the pitch and we’d be begging for somebody with his CV to play for us.

As brilliant as Smith is, and has been, do you prioritise a player that is your own for the next 2/3 seasons?  

Maher is fit again and was very impressive the other night aswell.

Not a selection decision I’d look forward to making!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 317
32 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Bennett

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.