3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
wuffing
August 17, 2022, 9:13am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +841
Gold Stars: 38
Last night's postponement I think,  whilst a shame for the crowd, could be really beneficial for us come the Sutton and Forest games. We are going to be a lot fresher for both, after what was an energy-sapping game against Rochdale and, what would have been 4 games in quick succession had last night's game gone ahead.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
forza ivano
August 17, 2022, 11:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,276
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from wuffing
Last night's postponement I think,  whilst a shame for the crowd, could be really beneficial for us come the Sutton and Forest games. We are going to be a lot fresher for both, after what was an energy-sapping game against Rochdale and, what would have been 4 games in quick succession had last night's game gone ahead.

good point - gives us a bit more breathing space in achieving 100% fitness level, coz I'm sure there's still a bit of catching up to be done, given our truncated pre season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
mirrorballman
August 17, 2022, 8:13pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +552
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Civvy at last
I genuinely wonder how much of our fitness and desire is helped by the atmosphere created by our fans.  It must be a buzz late on when your flagging to have our lot roaring you on.
Of course the fitness level has to be there to.begin with, but nevertheless I do believe we play a part.
UTM

Agree. I remember thinking about this during extra time against Solihull. Our numbers gave us an edge and there was nonstop singing in the sections around us up to JMD'S winner. It must be a lift to hear that when energy levels are dropping. It's corny to say it but there are definitely times when the 12th man makes a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
aldi_01
August 18, 2022, 8:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Solihull we’re dead on their feet, much like when we played Braintree in the playoffs, they too, were dead on their feet.

Rochdale the same, they started hundred miles an hour but in truth didn’t threaten Crocombe, it was sweltering so their reserves were gone too. I thought we played it sensible and it paid off.

Being fit is one thing, using your fitness sensibly is another and I believe that’s what we do. That said, desire and a will to win is something Hurst as built in. Those playoff games weren’t a fluke in so much that we kept going and still believed. We believed we could score from that free kick at County, that we could match up and go one better than Wrexham and that we didn’t need to see extra time out, we had enough about us to go and win.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
diehardmariner
August 18, 2022, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Desire and that will to win will only get you so far though before physically you cannot do anymore.  Certainly over the course of an extended period of games, your body will just put the brakes on.

I think there's multiple factors at play here.  On the psychological level there's a natural belief that's installed in the players, no doubt that will have come from Hurst and his staff but also from characters in the dressing room.  The likes of Pearson, Waterfall, from this season the newbies like Green who you can see are natural winners.  The types who will kick their grannies over the line.   That's contagious.  Be it dragging you or you following them, people will go with leaders into war and they'll run through brick walls with them.  It wouldn't surprise me if Hurst has got access to sports psychologist now too.

No doubt the crowd has an impact too.  I think the impact of a vocal home crowd can be overstated at times but the positivity that comes from either a large home crowd or a boxed in away following can have an impact, even if it's that siege mentality when outnumbered that spills into the players on the pitch.  

But it's the sheer conditioning of the players that has the biggest impact on our ability to go the last gasps of games and come up on top.  Once or twice a season it's to be expected.  But it's continual.  The longer games go on, the more dangerous we look.  Rochdale was the exception in the heat and we clearly played the smart game with them.  But you can almost see the tactic is to exhaust teams with our high press, take them to the brink and then kick on another level when they're staggering.

Absolute credit to S&C guys at the club, I think it's Greg Howard isn't it?  Its the work of him and his team that are giving the players the physical ability to push deeper but also the confidence to do so, knowing they've got it in them.

I don't think I've seen a fitter set of GTFC players in the 30+ years I've been following them.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fitness

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.