It Bites
August 7, 2022, 11:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 265
I thought they deserved their own thread

I'm not one to have too much of a go at officials but yesterday's were just too strange to ignore

The lines man on the main stand side was struggling to keep up with play and missed  2 key decisions but then put his flag up anyway and got it wrong He was so slow .

The ref , where do you start . It was like watching a parent reffing a junior game . Just bizarre really .
Private Message
aldi_01
August 7, 2022, 11:53am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the issue has been created but the clubs and the leagues rather than officials.

I understand the importance of taking head injuries seriously but it’s just become another abused tactic.

That centre half went down holding his head when I’ve no doubt we’d have at least got a shot off, probably scored but the game was stopped. Clearly intercourse all wrong.

I’m all for being a Shithouse but that’s just cheating and sadly, the refs take the brunt.

He wasn’t great and did give odd fouls and then let stuff go that was most definitely a foul, the build up to their goal being an obvious one.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
chaos33
August 7, 2022, 11:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,964
Gold Stars: 360
The point, for me, isn’t that he stopped the game for a ‘head injury’. It’s that the officials consulted and then restarted play by giving the ball to the keeper?! The least we can expect is that the officials know the rules.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
SuperJoeyWaters
August 7, 2022, 12:10pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +45
It was his first game in the EFL was promoted from the NL at the end of last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
HertsGTFC
August 7, 2022, 12:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,976
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from chaos33
The point, for me, isn’t that he stopped the game for a ‘head injury’. It’s that the officials consulted and then restarted play by giving the ball to the keeper?! The least we can expect is that the officials know the rules.

Nothing more to add really. Getting decisions wrong I guess comes with the job, not applying basic rules is unacceptable.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
sapper mariner
August 7, 2022, 12:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
i remember about 5 years ago against wycombe we had a player out cold in the box  play carried on and they ultimatly scored.

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
barrattstandman
August 7, 2022, 12:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +482
Gold Stars: 17
With regards " head and other injuries " . Why not do as in Rugby . Play doesnt  stop unless an obvious serious injury . Play is treated and play goes in around them. This will stop time wasting. I realise that if its in the 6 yard box it could cause problem but just get the player off the pitch.  You will find much less 'head " injuries and others. Makes the game more flowing  and less frustrating for fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
crusty ole pie
August 7, 2022, 12:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,360
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from aldi_01
I think the issue has been created but the clubs and the leagues rather than officials.

I understand the importance of taking head injuries seriously but it’s just become another abused tactic.

That centre half went down holding his head when I’ve no doubt we’d have at least got a shot off, probably scored but the game was stopped. Clearly intercourse all wrong.

I’m all for being a Shithouse but that’s just cheating and sadly, the refs take the brunt.

He wasn’t great and did give odd fouls and then let stuff go that was most definitely a foul, the build up to their goal being an obvious one.

I refer back to my thread about time wasting the only way this head injury cheat is going to be stopped is mandatory 5 minute off the pitch to allow medics to assess the lnjury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
chaos33
August 7, 2022, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,964
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Nothing more to add really. Getting decisions wrong I guess comes with the job, not applying basic rules is unacceptable.

Exactly

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
tashee69
August 7, 2022, 12:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +959
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barrattstandman
With regards " head and other injuries " . Why not do as in Rugby . Play doesnt  stop unless an obvious serious injury . Play is treated and play goes in around them. This will stop time wasting. I realise that if its in the 6 yard box it could cause problem but just get the player off the pitch.  You will find much less 'head " injuries and others. Makes the game more flowing  and less frustrating for fans.

No chance of that coming in. Society has gone too soft. More chance that’ll be brought in soon that the game will have to be stopped with a player that has damaged feelings as he’s been called a name by a fan.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
bradzmilne
August 7, 2022, 1:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
Some common sense has to prevail with the “head injury” rule.

As others have stated, it’s just becoming an abused tactical piece of gameplay.

I wonder if an enforced 5 minute period off the field of play would prevent this from occurring? Or certainly restrict it from occurring. In order for a proper concussion test to take place, you’re not looking at much shorter than 5 minutes anyway.

The counter argument to this is of course, legitimately hurt players could try to mask an injury… However, I’d suggest everyone knows when a serious head injury has occurred.

A re-think is in serious need though, as it’ll only become more frequent.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
ginnywings
August 7, 2022, 1:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,152
Gold Stars: 548
Ref could have let play carry on for a few more seconds to give us a chance to score from a promising position.

Had we scored, the centre back would have jumped up and complained I've no doubt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
lew chaterleys lover
August 7, 2022, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,743
Gold Stars: 237
It's difficult to fathom why so many head injuries occur when teams are desperately defending, but almost no head injuries occur when the team is attacking.

Funny that.

Something will have to be done though as just going down holding your head in moments of danger will become a ridiculous pantomime.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
bradzmilne
August 7, 2022, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
It's difficult to fathom why so many head injuries occur when teams are desperately defending, but almost no head injuries occur when the team is attacking.

Funny that.

Something will have to be done though as just going down holding your head in moments of danger will become a ridiculous pantomime.

The issue is though, head injuries are such a cause of concern at the moment (and absolutely rightly so).

It’s going to be such a fine line for the FA to fathom how to move forward with this.

But as you say, if the current situation isn’t rectified - it will become a pantomime. As it did at stages yesterday.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
LN8Mariner
August 7, 2022, 2:05pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +328
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from chaos33

I get it, you'd like the ref to know the law prior to having to "make the decision" but ultimately they got it correct. This is a new law change this year and it is a little counterintuitive which is probably why he double checked? I also agree that due to this change it could be left open to all sorts of 'tactical' head injuries!

"Law 8
Section 2. Dropped ball

PROCEDURE

The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:
*  the ball was in the penalty area or
*  the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where it last touched a player, an outside agent or, as outlined in Law 9.1, a match official"

On a slightly related note one of the new law clarifications is that the keeper can use his hands in the penalty area now!

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
mimma
August 7, 2022, 2:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
So according to that explanation he did indeed get it wrong since the last touch was outside the area and we clearly had possession
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
LN8Mariner
August 7, 2022, 2:52pm
Beer Drinker
I suppose that’s always open to some interpretation though isn’t it as when we hear the whistle and when he ‘thinks’ he blew it are not necessarily one and the same? If he’s gone to blow before the ball makes it out of the area then that’s why he’s applied that rule. Maybe that’s what he was checking, when he blew the whistle as opposed to anything else?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Theimperialcoroner
August 7, 2022, 3:53pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from LN8Mariner
I suppose that’s always open to some interpretation though isn’t it as when we hear the whistle and when he ‘thinks’ he blew it are not necessarily one and the same? If he’s gone to blow before the ball makes it out of the area then that’s why he’s applied that rule. Maybe that’s what he was checking, when he blew the whistle as opposed to anything else?

I’m certain he blew after JMD had controlled it, outside of the box. In that case he got it completely wrong. Also did not add any time on for the incident. It seemed he couldn’t handle a tough game like that. I also noticed he seemed to acknowledge the shocker of a decision from the corner to one of our players just afterwards.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
LN8Mariner
August 7, 2022, 4:33pm
Beer Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

I’m certain he blew after JMD had controlled it, outside of the box. In that case he got it completely wrong.

I appreciate that (and I am only playing devil's advocate here) but wouldn't the head injury itself be the incident, and hence the stoppage, regardless of what happens next? Going back to the original conversations, though, this rule does look open to abuse whenever the whistle is blown.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Theimperialcoroner
August 7, 2022, 5:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from LN8Mariner

I appreciate that (and I am only playing devil's advocate here) but wouldn't the head injury itself be the incident, and hence the stoppage, regardless of what happens next? Going back to the original conversations, though, this rule does look open to abuse whenever the whistle is blown.

No, it’s when the whistle is blown to stop play.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
RexFannies
August 7, 2022, 5:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
I blame the idiot that threw the missile from the pontoon that grounded him.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Les Brechin
August 7, 2022, 5:28pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,715
Gold Stars: 174
The thing is that we're thinking because we're back in the league, we'll get better officials. What people don't realise is that about half a dozen refs were promoted from the NL last season too so quite often we'll get the same excrement refs that we had last season!

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
coddy60
August 7, 2022, 5:32pm

Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from crusty ole pie

I refer back to my thread about time wasting the only way this head injury cheat is going to be stopped is mandatory 5 minute off the pitch to allow medics to assess the lnjury

Stop talking sense ffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Stranger in the Park
August 7, 2022, 6:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
If referees started to book the obvious deceitful dramatics (time wasting or impeeding play)  then we might see some improvement and players thinking twice about trying it on. As things stand the current ruling is, as many have already pointed out, totally open to abuse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Officials

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.