HerveJosse
August 7, 2022, 12:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Phil the cod
He has the natural habit of always being in the right place at the right time.
No coaching or fitness plan can ever be a substitute for this.
He reminds me a bit of di canio.
Pops up at vital times to pull us out the shite.
Hurst was too negative imho yesterday playing one up top at home in our first game.
It invited them on to is too many times and the ball just seemed to bounce off Taylor,who tried hard up there on his own as always.
Imagine this Taylor and desi up front, jmd and wearne out wide, Clifton ,holohan through the middle. We should of kept desi imho ,we dropped a bollock there.

Di Canio sorry can’t have that I once saw Di Canio play for Sheff Wed at Barnsley in a premier League match and I still think it was the most dominant display I have seen live from an individual player everything in the match went through him . Like many geniuses he was difficulty and dangerous but a brilliant footballer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 46
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
August 7, 2022, 12:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Phil the cod

Hurst was too negative imho yesterday playing one up top at home in our first game.
It invited them on to is too many times and the ball just seemed to bounce off Taylor,who tried hard up there on his own as always.
Imagine this Taylor and desi up front, jmd and wearne out wide, Clifton ,holohan through the middle. We should of kept desi imho ,we dropped a bollock there.

I don’t really see how Hurst could have played more than one up top. There’s only one available striker at the club at the minute and I’m pretty sure Taylor is only 75% fit himself.  

Although Northampton weren’t great yesterday, they are probably going to be in the promotion mix.

Your 4-2-4 would be suicidal. We’d be overrun. It’s very dangerous playing most of the match with players who aren’t contributing out of possession. It’s why the likes of PSG or Man Utd with Ronaldo, get picked off in the big games.

As for Dieseruvwe. Great guy and I wish him all the luck in the world. I have my doubts whether he’ll get into double figures for Halifax this season though. It was a purple patch that he may struggle to repeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 46
aussiej
August 7, 2022, 1:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from chaos33

This might be a bit controversial and I do see your point and understand it, but calling him ‘lazy’ isn’t fair in my view. He’s a very good offensive player who has delivered for us many times. Im not sure I want him to expend loads of his energy defending, getting behind the ball or tracking runners when our shape doesn’t necessarily demand that he does that. I see him as an outlet and don’t mind if he stays fairly high up the pitch when we don’t have the ball. He’s not in the team to defend and doesn’t really have that skill set. He finishes, creates, runs at defenders, delivers crosses and set pieces to a high standard. I’d rather he used his fuel focusing on that.

Also - little point in comparing him to Clifton - they are different kinds of players - Clifton is ‘box to box’ and has a different set of attributes. JMD made a huge contribution to our promotion and I hope he doesn’t read comments that peg him as ‘lazy’ or ‘unfit’. Squads are made with a blend. He is what he is - some games it will be tactically right for him to start, some maybe not. Depends on our system and opponents.

Totally agree with you regarding Maguire-Drew... He has some real quality and needs to stay in his position out on the right. The problem is he has Efete behind him who is not an out and out defender and often gets caught out of position...  Maybe try Cropper at right back who also gives you that long throw option.
I really liked Wearne out on the left. Harry should come back into the middle with Holohan. Now just McAtee's replacement to find and a back up for Taylor...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 46
Mariner16
August 7, 2022, 1:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
I'm surprised to see no one mention that he might have been drunk off that we didn't get the ball back from having to stop for the "head injury" in injury time. It was JMD on the ball if I remember correctly?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 46
lee65
August 7, 2022, 1:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
It’s a drawback of the modern game that workrate is preferred to skill and quality. I always think there’s room for more balance and if your going to accommodate hard working players like agree and Clifton there should be room to play someone with JMD’s qualities and have the grafters cover his weaknesses.

Thought about this when watching “The Big Match Revisited” earlier, Alan Hudson running the game for Stoke, he’d have been a JMD type now, just brought on for 15 mins of trickery when all of the iron man athletes are tiring  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 46
Phil the cod
August 7, 2022, 3:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from HerveJosse

Di Canio sorry can’t have that I once saw Di Canio play for Sheff Wed at Barnsley in a premier League match and I still think it was the most dominant display I have seen live from an individual player everything in the match went through him . Like many geniuses he was difficulty and dangerous but a brilliant footballer.

You are obviously too young to remember the fantastic Ray Wilkins running the show in midfield for QPR against us in the league cup , think they won 4-3 as I recall, Gary child's missing a sitter in front of the pontoon in Extra time. I'm not for one minute suggesting jmd is in that class or Di canios class, but the way he pops up with important goals and passes  is very much like the aforementioned players.
Some players have that natural instinct to sniff out where to be at important stages of play. Jmd has this knack, hence why he needs to be on the pitch more.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 46
buckstown
August 7, 2022, 3:44pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 79
Mountain out of molehills
Probably needed the toilet
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 46
pontoonlew
August 7, 2022, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Another thing worth noting on JMD is that his set piece deliveries are probably the most consistently good we’ve had from a player in a long time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 46
livosnose
August 7, 2022, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,175
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Phil the cod

You are obviously too young to remember the fantastic Ray Wilkins running the show in midfield for QPR against us in the league cup , think they won 4-3 as I recall, Gary child's missing a sitter in front of the pontoon in Extra time. I'm not for one minute suggesting jmd is in that class or Di canios class, but the way he pops up with important goals and passes  is very much like the aforementioned players.
Some players have that natural instinct to sniff out where to be at important stages of play. Jmd has this knack, hence why he needs to be on the pitch more.

Andy Sinton scored in front of the pontoon and gave the fans some jip.

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 46
lew chaterleys lover
August 7, 2022, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
Someone suggested yesterday Cropper should be at right back (decent defender but mainly for that throw) and play Efete further forward to fight for the right midfield slot.

Alternatively is there not another player who can launch it from a throw in when we are chasing a goal?
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 46
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maguire-Drew

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.