June 28, 2022, 12:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,040
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from RichMariner
I'm not up on the rules these days.

Given his age, if we offered him a new deal next summer on terms that were equal to or better than what he's already on, then would we get a fee if he went somewhere else?

If we'd offered Vernam a new deal on the same terms, would we have got money for him too?

Yes and yes but the fee is also determined by the years we have spent developing them in our youth system so from that perspective, the fee for both would be low.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
forza ivano
June 28, 2022, 2:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,280
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ginnywings

That line has just made me think the unthinkable.

are you thinking the same as me?
a) could be the passing midfielder that Taylor, Orsi and McAtee need

or

b) he's a potential replacement for our leading goalscorer?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
ginnywings
June 28, 2022, 3:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from forza ivano

are you thinking the same as me?
a) could be the passing midfielder that Taylor, Orsi and McAtee need

or

b) he's a potential replacement for our leading goalscorer?

It was the latter that suddenly popped into my head.

McAtee will have admirers after the season he had, especially the play off exposure.

We would be mad if we haven't offered him improved terms, so until we hear otherwise from the club, I think he's going to be on the radar of others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
ska face
June 28, 2022, 3:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,765
Gold Stars: 851
Think Wearne coming in alongside a (hopefully) fully fit JMD will really help the team and McAtee. We saw how much we relied on McAtee at times last year and when he had an off day, we really struggled. This should give us another option going forward and all three of those behind the main striker can make something happen out of nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
RichMariner
June 28, 2022, 4:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
Seems weird to have so many players that other clubs will be looking at. The vast majority of players we've signed since we last got into the EFL got released and went on to play at an equal or lower level.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
quebec38
June 28, 2022, 4:32pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Been thinking maybe this signing could mean a switch for Clifton? Wearne on the left coming in and then Clifton narrow on the right with Efete passing on his outside?

Clifton came on leaps and bounds in terms of his forward play at the end of last season, or it could have just been that his shackles were released. It was always awkward for him though on the wrong side. Perhaps he could perform a similar duty on the other side now? Or maybe I am just overthinking things 🤣 either way I don’t think he’ll now partner Holohan as Fox’s replacement.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
June 28, 2022, 4:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
Just had a look at that show reel. Wow, looks a real quality player. All those skills will be very much appreciated inside a packed Blundell Park and we have several players who will be only too willing to contribute with him.

I don't know what's happened to Hurst but he seems to have had a complete change of mindset from years ago and he looks determined to out play the opposition with a very skillful team.

Should be a cracking season.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
ginnywings
June 28, 2022, 5:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Just had a look at that show reel. Wow, looks a real quality player. All those skills will be very much appreciated inside a packed Blundell Park and we have several players who will be only too willing to contribute with him.

I don't know what's happened to Hurst but he seems to have had a complete change of mindset from years ago and he looks determined to out play the opposition with a very skillful team.

Should be a cracking season.

Proper backing and being able to attract the players he wants, not the ones he can merely get.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
WelwynGardener
June 28, 2022, 5:20pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 6
So where would Andrew Dallas fit in were he be added to the team? Seems to me as if we already have a very busy and intelligent midfield to drive us up the pitch. Thoughts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
Tommy
June 28, 2022, 5:28pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from WelwynGardener
So where would Andrew Dallas fit in were he be added to the team? Seems to me as if we already have a very busy and intelligent midfield to drive us up the pitch. Thoughts?

In our 4-2-3-1, he'd presumably be able to play anywhere across that line of 3 attacking players supporting the striker.

Currently we only have Wearne, McAtee and Maguire-Drew who are natural fits for those positions, with Clifton able to do a job as a stand-in. Maguire-Drew needs massive improvement on his fitness/stamina if he's going to be able to start games regularly at a higher level.

So some high quality competition for these positions is very much needed.

Having said that, I'd be pretty surprised if Dallas were to sign for us.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Steven Wearne signs

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.