Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Cricket
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot, Jackal and 22 Guests

Cricket

This thread currently has 11,338 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Davec
June 17, 2023, 5:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
After a good first session where it seemed we were in control it it has stayed to stall now and Australia now seem to be in control, the pitch isn't doing much and its not too difficult for Australia currently, would that Buttler mis stumping and Broad no ball come to cost us? We need a wicket before close of play if we can manage it and ideally Khawaja being the one to walk
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 357
Sandford1981
June 17, 2023, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Davec
After a good first session where it seemed we were in control it it has stayed to stall now and Australia now seem to be in control, the pitch isn't doing much and its not too difficult for Australia currently, would that Buttler mis stumping and Broad no ball come to cost us? We need a wicket before close of play if we can manage it and ideally Khawaja being the one to walk

The pitch is far too flat and slow for our battery of bowlers. That said we shot ourselves in the foot and the 2 relatively easy chances Bairstow failed to take and the wicket off the no ball really hurt us.
Tough day and different to yesterday but still enthralling proper cricket!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 357
Limerick Mariner
June 18, 2023, 12:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,781
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Sandford1981

The pitch is far too flat and slow for our battery of bowlers. That said we shot ourselves in the foot and the 2 relatively easy chances Bairstow failed to take and the wicket off the no ball really hurt us.
Tough day and different to yesterday but still enthralling proper cricket!

Unfortunately, Bairstow isn't a Test-level keeper, In fact, his performance today was reminiscent of my efforts in minor-league cricket as a "goalkeeper" - alright diving around standing back but pretty poor at the far more subtle art of standing up. He is worth his place in any test side at the moment as a batter.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 357
Limerick Mariner
June 18, 2023, 1:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
So we lead by 7. Moeen's finger is a bit of a worry. We need to post 350+. Can Joe Root step up as a bowler?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 357
Sandford1981
June 18, 2023, 4:53pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Unfortunately, Bairstow isn't a Test-level keeper, In fact, his performance today was reminiscent of my efforts in minor-league cricket as a "goalkeeper" - alright diving around standing back but pretty poor at the far more subtle art of standing up. He is worth his place in any test side at the moment as a batter.

I personally think he’s a very good test level wicket keeper and his stats back that up, but and it’s a big BUT he’s just not Ben Foakes who I’m a huge fan of and would have in my side. Purely from a keeper perspective there isn’t a better one in world cricket in my opinion.
However, Foakes dropped catches and some relatively comfortable ones by his ridiculously high standards in his last stint too.
I suppose the caveat is that Bairstow will improve as its been a long while since he’s done it and he’s coming off a lengthy lay off.
No balls are a cricket pet peeve of mine and I find them hard to let go. I suppose wen a track is as flat as this is and has been, these fine margins place bigger scrutiny on these errors from Broad and Bairstow.
That spell with the weather though has tipped the scales. I thought we were very naive and some game management was required. Slow the game down as the Aussies would have done!

Private Message
Reply: 154 - 357
ginnywings
June 19, 2023, 1:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I had a feeling we wouldn't be able to Bazball the Aussies. They are too good and don't scare easily.

We are playing like it's a 1 day game and it's a huge gamble that currently isnt working. Scoring quickly but losing wickets regularly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 357
Maringer
June 19, 2023, 1:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
Bairstow could do with a good innings to help make up for his failings with the gloves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 357
Rodley Mariner
June 19, 2023, 2:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Some pretty negative takes here. Barstow scored a brilliant run a ball 78 in the first innings and has been sensational with the bat for the past year. Not sure he owes anyone anything.

I'd also say Bazball currently has it going toe-to-toe with the world test champions in an absolutely thrilling spectacle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 357
Sandford1981
June 19, 2023, 2:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Some pretty negative takes here. Barstow scored a brilliant run a ball 78 in the first innings and has been sensational with the bat for the past year. Not sure he owes anyone anything.

I'd also say Baseball currently has it going toe-to-toe with the world test champions in an absolutely thrilling spectacle.

I don’t think it’s negative but a player and their fans who accept the plaudits when it goes great have to accept criticism when it doesn’t.
I don’t think anyone is questioning his place or his batting but he has missed some relatively easy chances. That’s cricket and as I say Foakes did likewise in his recent run.

Private Message
Reply: 158 - 357
Limerick Mariner
June 20, 2023, 5:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Utterly compelling viewing atm…

Forget 20:20 and all the pyjama stuff - this is just greatest spectacle…apart from a Town v Scunny / Lincoln / Hull game of course
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 357
36 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Cricket

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.