2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
May 24, 2022, 8:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Thought we were terrible at set pieces until JMD came on last night.  During the season, we've had some players who are decent at taking free kicks and corners, but we had no-one on the pitch at the start of the game which left Amos taking corners.  Not sure how Hurst could change it around for Saturday if everyone is fully fit but I'd be having Amos on corner practise all week!
Logged Offline
Private Message
toontown
May 24, 2022, 9:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,144
Gold Stars: 69
Yep and crosses! And even down the line long balls,he was awful at all of them...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 24, 2022, 10:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,890
Gold Stars: 280
I thought Amos was our poorest player last night.

The quality of delivery is something we have to work on, we wasted a lot of opportunities with balls going over the heads of our players or not getting there at all. I'd like to see more first time balls rather than the player taking a touch - Sousa is particularly guilty of that and we lose momentum because of it.

That said, it's a characteristic of football at this level. If you have a great touch and deliver dangerous balls every time you get into position you won't be playing in the National League. County were almost as bad as we were.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
sonofmadeleymariner
May 24, 2022, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
Amos has held his hands u on social media saying he didn't have the best of games, but outside of his crossing I didn't think he had a bad game.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 24, 2022, 10:18am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +6,890
Gold Stars: 280
Amos has held his hands u on social media saying he didn't have the best of games, but outside of his crossing I didn't think he had a bad game.

I don't think he had a bad game because being our poorest player is in relation to an epic collective effort!

And I don't have a downer on him but his passing wasn't great and he got caught out of position a couple of times and they could have been catastrophic if County's finishing had been better. For example, midway through the second half he let a player (Richardson I think) drift off his shoulder and find an acre of space in the middle of the penalty area. If the player with the ball had found him it would have been 2-0 and game over.

I think he gets sucked into going to the man with the ball (even if he's being marked by a Town payer) rather than staying with his man.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
Maringer
May 24, 2022, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
The crossing was pretty poor from everyone last night, until JMD came on for the set pieces. A pity as the general all-round play from the team was really good and didn't get the final ball it deserved.

Let's hope we do better at the weekend, as wasting some good play with a terrible final ball is just so frustrating!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
lee65
May 24, 2022, 10:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,442
Gold Stars: 8

I agree, lots of effort, always made himself available, and up for the fight.  True his corners weren't great, they weren't totally rubbish either, just a bit floaty and predictable, a bit "meh"  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
LondonMariner43
May 24, 2022, 11:14am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
I didn't start this thread to have a go at Amos - he did a lot of good stuff last night but also a few loose crosses. I was more highlighting the absence of a recognised taker of set pieces in the starting line up and wondering how Hurst fixes that for Wrexham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
TownSNAFU5
May 24, 2022, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
I thought that JMD would start;  for his crosses and deadball ability.  Sousa or a if fit Max Wright to replace him when he tires.

Man City have worked very hard on improving set-pieces this season, at both ends of the pitch.  This season they have conceded only 1 goal from a set-piece, scoring 21 at the other end. (BBC report today).

We could possibly get another 10 points if we improved our already decent stats here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
lukeo
May 24, 2022, 12:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.08
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,292
Gold Stars: 133

This 100%. I don't usually reply to players etc but I even said to him he played well and just practice his crossing in open play 😝
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Set pieces

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.